Search Unity

UnityFS - Flight Simulation toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityFS, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Lupin500

Lupin500

I am very interested in this but I'd like to know if it will be available anytime soon?

2. jbarbeau

jbarbeau

I need flight sim physics.... I want to get yours.... When are you publishing? Can I get a pre-publish version?

Thanks

3. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi all,
    UnityFS version 1.0 is now code complete :)
    Asset submission will be made on the 19th and barring any issues they have it should appear on the asset store shortly after named UnityFS.
    Stay tuned next week for screenshots ( expect it to look very different ) features and other updates.
    Any questions, feel free to pm or post and I will be happy to answer - can't wait for you all to see what I have been working on!

4. andererandre

andererandre

I'd like to request a web player demo if that's possible. As someone who's studying computational science engineering I strongly support any kind of simulation / physical accuracy utilized in games, really looking forward to the first projects using this.

5. UnityFS

UnityFS

Webplayer demo will be available upon release :)

6. chingwa

chingwa

Hey Congratulations! I hope the review process goes smooth and am looking forward to seeing your latest updates! :)

7. John-G

John-G

Fantastic, been waiting with baited breath for this one.
    Will be watching the asset store nonstop come the 19th.

8. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Please god, may it have multi rotor....coolness.

9. allpay

allpay

Please make a cockpit view with numpad keys :oops:

10. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi allpay!
    The code is now locked down for version 1.0 so I am afraid I won't be able to get your request in until after release - however this will be very quick to add - happy to send you the script after release :)

11. Karearea

Karearea

Great news! Already have an aircraft in mind for this..

12. UnityFS

UnityFS

Look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

13. allpay

allpay

Really?? Thats great...

I will be waiting for 19th :D

14. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi all!

I have had a few emails regarding which versions of Unity UnityFS will support.

I can confirm it will be versions 3.5.0 upward, so 3 and 4 users can enjoy :) - free or pro is also fine and it will work on PC/MAC/IOS/ANDROID/WEBPLAYER with fully scalable physics :)

15. John-G

John-G

Getting close, any spoilers ;)

16. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi John G,
    Keep your eyes peeled on the Asset Store :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  17. John-G

John-G

Eyes are fixed, hope it gets approved fast.

18. UnityFS

UnityFS

Here's a little spoiler for you all..running in Unity :)

..more to be announced soon.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  19. Litwin

Litwin

@UnityFS
    Hi UnityFS,

Your kit have support to aircrafts (f18, f22, su47...)? *-*
    Thanks,
    Good Night! :D

20. khos85

khos85

Hi, I really like this but wondered if/where I could download this form, is it available yet? Would you be selling it or will it a free plugin to Unity?

21. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

I'm certainly interested in purchasing, it will be interesting to see how deep the features go. Ive been developing aircraft for Microsoft Flight Simulator X for over 6 years now and I'm currently looking into developing our own military sim. Any news or updates would be greatly appreciated.

Is there any limitations on the poly count for the aircraft used ?

22. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi Vertigostudios,
    Polycount limit is entirely upto you and limited by the target platform which you want the game to run on. The aircraft physics is entirely scalable so you can easily tweak it to trade off between speed/accuracy as desired. I hope that answers your questions. Also check your pm's!

23. miniduck

miniduck

Has there been any testing on a mobile device?

Getting asset store approval is slow..... :)

24. Litwin

Litwin

@UnityFS
    Thanks UnityFS! ;)
    I'm waiting more videos and progress.
    If possible, post a video with Aircraft? ;P

25. Jepps

Jepps

Could you give some information on the performance of the physics engine (without considering graphics) in relation to using this engine for mobile games? What options would be provided for integration of custom controls — would it be easy to connect accelerometer data to the flight controls, for example?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  26. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi Jepps,

Performance is entirely scalable based on the complexity of the number of wing parts. Much like with a 3d mesh you might produce a low poly version for mobile you can do the same with UnityFS wing geometry.

On top of that you can also define how many subdivisions the physics makes of each of those wing parts when calculating the lift and drag for each wing - again less divisions = greater speed but less physical accuracy. This second option provides a very scalable means of controlling performance without having to re author the wing shapes.

There is currently no accelerometer input for control surfaces - given the modular nature of the code however, this would only take minutes to add. I would be happy to send you a script for this and also include it in a future update as soon as 1.0 is out :)

I hope that answers your questions!

Thanks,
    Chris

27. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi litwin,
    Have some very cool videos to show very soon, will release as soon as we are on the asset store :)
    Thanks,
    Chris

28. unitylover

unitylover

I woke up today and the first thing I thought about was this post. LOL!

29. Archania

Archania

This is shaping up to be a must have for any flight related games. Keep it up and can't wait for more.

30. unitylover

unitylover

Is there any official release date for this kit? I am asking because I plan on creating a competing product. I'd rather not go through the effort of reinventing the wheel so it really would be nice to just purchase this kit rather than spend a bunch of time creating something similar.

31. UnityFS

UnityFS

Within the next few days :)

32. emergki

emergki

Hi UnityFS,

I just bought your Awesome product, but, I have one question, the Overwrite for the Inputs are not working. Please take a look.

I receive the message "Configure Input - Overwrite error. Could not find source file.", then I go the the script "ConfigureInput.cs" and, see that the file is the input.dat, but, there's no input.dat in the package.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  33. Shigidy

Shigidy

Hey this is a great package, but is there any idea of damage down the line possibly even helicopters :)

34. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi Emergki,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with the package - good debugging :) you seem to have found the problem. Here is a link to the input.dat:

http://chris-cheetham.com/unityfs/input/input.dat

Please download and place in your Assets/UnityFS/Data folder.

35. UnityFS

UnityFS

36. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi Shigidy,

Helicopters are absolutely a priority now for UnityFS :)

..Damage may come later but that is a lot more dependent on how the aircraft meshes are authored which will make it harder to just grab free meshes of the internet for this purpose.

37. Shigidy

Shigidy

Awesome will buy in the next couple of months, just running out of money, but will buy eventually. :)

38. Archania

Archania

The Demo is a lot of fun to play with. Awesome Asset and is on the NEED to buy list.

39. jndw5

jndw5

I've tested the webplayer, but the controls are strange in comparation with other simulators like Flight Simulator... perhaps too loosy, not so reallistic as I spect, I cannot explain it, maybe I am making something wrong? If I press S to go upwards I spect that rotation slows down when I stop pressing S, but it doesn't.

40. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi jndw5,
    What you are referring to is an Input property called 'Gravity' in Unity. (That any inputs auto center once you release the keys.) To me that feels far more unnatural than leaving the input where it is when you let go. (Different user preferences I guess :) )

This is easily changeable in Unity however by tweaking the Gravity value :) Keyboard controls are always going to bit a bit of a tradeoff as they can never really represent what a yoke/joystick actually does. The webplayer demo also supports joystick by the way so you could try that instead.

I hope that explains what you are experiencing at least.It is by no means a limitation of the Flight model :)

Thanks for trying the demo!

41. emergki

emergki

Thank you! All working Fine now! :).

42. UnityFS

UnityFS

Brilliant :) any other questions just shout!

43. Litwin

Litwin

@UnityFS
    I'm loving this toolkit!
    I did not like the control.
    For example: When I click on the "S" the plane will continue to rise. In my opinion, when you click on the "S", it will rise, not only will continue to rise, in this case, the joystick of the plane will return to normal. Same as the Flight Simulator.

Video with joystick showing in FSX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igx5PQsiuQI

In: 03:37

Sorry my english, I'm Brazilian...

@Edit
    In Turbosquid, have a plane (high poly) free:
    http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/maya-md-11-aircraft/416084

44. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi Litwin,
    With the package you can change this easily :)
    In Unity go to Edit | Project | Input Settings
    On the Pitch input axis set gravity to be greater than 0. Try 2 or 3.

45. John-G

John-G

Been playing with this Asset for the last 2 weeks and I have to say its a tremendous package that has AAA support from the author Chris.
    Its been a breeze to follow his tutorials to get a model rigged up from scratch to having your playing flying in game in no time.

I had my first attempt fully rigged and flying in less than 2 hrs (Following along to his video tutorials).

$UnityFS.jpg

$UnityFS_3.jpg

As for flight controls - I felt the same at first been used to other flight sims where controls always returned to center.
    But having flown for real myself in the past, the current method is more realistic as the stick requires input from the pilot to its position.
    But like Chris stated plug in a Joystick and your in business. Tested with a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS - works perfect.

Look forward to the new additions that Chris has Lined up (Pardon the pun).

46. John-G

John-G

Sorry for 2nd post, just wanted to add some screenshots of UnityFS in action.

$UnityFS_1.jpg

$UnityFS_2 (1).jpg

$UnityFS_3 (1).jpg

$UnityFS_4.jpg

$UnityFS_5.jpg

47. UnityFS

UnityFS

Awesome screenshots John! Thanks for the support - Great to see UnityFS being put to such good use already :)

48. pinchmass

pinchmass

love the cockpit view, just wondering , do you get any other 3D cockpits/planes with the asset ( I noticed I bi plane which is what I'm looking for )

if so is their any chance of a web player to demo it (before purchase) ? this looks great and it sound like you have some interesting updates to come.

cheers in advance

49. Litwin

Litwin

50. John-G

John-G

Hi Guys just sharing a quick Tutorial I made on Pivot points for models imported into UnityFS.
    First tutorial so might not be the best :D

[video=youtube_share;-x85kGpbu6A]http://youtu.be/-x85kGpbu6A

Hope ye enjoy.

AlanMattano likes this.