Search Unity

UnityFS - Flight Simulation toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityFS, Feb 23, 2013.

1. VR_Rookie

VR_Rookie

Is there a better (newer) flgiht sim package in the store, i've looked and can't really see anything better then this?

2. VIC20

VIC20

I think the best one you can currently buy on the Asset Store is the uSim Vehicle Framework. It is centered around a serious flight simulation package. The developer is working on the flight sim module at least since 2011 when I first saw his videos on youtube. It looks like it is in active development, the latest update was 6 days ago.

Mr-Logan likes this.
  3. Oyedoyin1

Oyedoyin1

Aimuahanhk likes this.
  4. VIC20

VIC20

5. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

UnityFS is pretty awesome if you know C#. You can download Unity5, and install the package. Then you can read the code and made the improvement you need for Unity 20xx. It will take you about 2 weeks to read this forum code modification and include what you need in it.

vivalavida likes this.
  6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I know it's been a while and I wanted to ask a question. Does this support trimming the yaw? Can I trim the flaps as well to basically stay in a certain position up or down, potentially in increments? If it doesn't support that out of the box, how hard do you guys think it would be to implement something like trim for the rudder?

7. Karearea

Karearea

Not out of the box. I just wrote a component to adjust the local rotation of the transform on the gameObject that contains the control surface component. Works fine, you need to nest the visual control surface item in the same pivot as well.

If you look at some airliners, they trim the entire horizontal stabiliser rather than the elevators, this approach also handles that case.

JamesArndt likes this.
  8. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Yes, @JamesArndt If you then apply the trim correction on the joystick input value is better.
    The problem is that when you go in detail, then you wish to change a lot of things in UnityFS. So yes, is nice for starting and gives you a pretty good idea of what to do as well as implement it as a draft beta. I think you need to download in U5 and slowly convert it into 2017, 2018

JamesArndt likes this.
  9. Karearea

Karearea

Yeah, it’s pretty much Theseus’ ship (Theseus’ McDonnell Douglas A-4 Skyhawk maybe). I think I’ve kept a couple of lines of code to do with roll damping, and the rest I refactored or added detail to.

JamesArndt likes this.
  10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Okay all good information. I'd really want to make it like Microsoft Flight Simulator where I can put the flaps up in 5% increments or put the flaps down in 5% increments. So for example I'd be "Flaps Up 75%", etc. I'd also like to be able to do the same thing to the horizontal stabilizer, basically trim it so many degrees to the right or left and it holds at that angle until I increment it back. Similar to how you might set them if you want to trim against a strong crosswind. I wouldn't want to be constantly tapping against the joystick stick to hold that stabilizer over.

11. Karearea

Karearea

I would suggest looking at how the control surfaces affect the wing in that case, and make a new component that does the same thing, but in increments.

AlanMattano likes this.
  12. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

In an aeroplane, you use horizontal stabilizer elevator trim each time you change your speed or pitch angle (All the time in small aircraft). Also when the flap is applied. Usually is a second input joystick slider with good sensitivity (you need a good joystick). If you use a button is hard to set it up unless you make a minimum correction on the joystick (or the pilot apply a second correction on throttle slider to maintain it level ). Trim was like an old simple draft help [autopilot], that let you apply less force on the aeroplane joystick since there was no autopilot. Also, the fuel consumption changes the CG so needs constant correction on a long flight. When the trim go down in the elevon, push the elevon moving surface up aerodynamically so the horizontal stabilizer makes lift pushing the tail downwards. Some aeroplane and gliders apply trim automatically when you change flap configuration ( look for example the Silen2).

What I will do is a button that when is trigger, "moves the elevator trim with the joystick" following the joystick (or to the Joystick current position). You can make a weel indication or a VR UI interface.

On the rubber instead is a different story. I did not understand how strong crosswind can affect in your game. Looks like an arcade game or you are confusing something on landing approach [look this dscusion]. Right or left trim is not used for a strong crosswind unless in the final flare stage in the last ~few feet of commercial aircraft (but is better to apply rudder and not trim) or you are applying more power to one engine during an engine failure. Since applying rudder means making it slide on the side [sideslip] and this configuration is only used for extra braking. So you do not apply trim on crosswind following the ILS. You just fly with a different heading compass angle. Sometimes if the aircraft is a bit of rudder trim to correct the bad conditions of the wing, ailerons, leading edge, etc. Also, the torque P-factor of the engine plays a part [More info].

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    JamesArndt likes this.
  13. Marek_Bakalarczuk

Marek_Bakalarczuk

Were I can buy it?

14. VIC20

VIC20

Aimuahanhk and Marek_Bakalarczuk like this.
  15. Aimuahanhk

Aimuahanhk

Fortunately, I got this asset just before it got deprecated
    Now I might update this asset so it can work on unity 2019 or later
    Wanna help me?