Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug UnityEngine.UI.Tests.asmdef will not be compiled, because it has no scripts associated with it

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by Peter77, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Opening a newly created Unity 2019.3.0b11 project in Unity 2020.1.0a11 displays the following warning:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assembly for Assembly Definition File 'Packages/com.unity.ugui/Tests/Runtime/UnityEngine.UI.Tests.asmdef' will not be compiled, because it has no scripts associated with it.
    2. UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:TickCompilationPipeline(EditorScriptCompilationOptions, BuildTargetGroup, BuildTarget, String[])

2. LuuMor

LuuMor

I got the same warning, when creating a new 3D project.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I couldn't reproduce the issue with 2020.1.0a25. There is a known issue that is similar though: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1217747/

If you get these kinds of warnings about other packages, a bug report would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  4. sp-LeventeLajtai

sp-LeventeLajtai

I think it's a bug fixed in 2020.1.0a16: "Scripting: Fixed issue where reimport writes "Assembly for asmdef File will not be compiled, because it has no scripts associated with it". (1185386)"

However, the issue is also present in 2019.2 and 2020.1 has no release date, and at the same time, 1185386 is not searchable, so how can I verify that it has been fixed in 2019.4 (LTS)?

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

1185386 was fixed in 2019.3.0f5.

6. nilay_2104

nilay_2104

Assembly for Assembly Definition File 'Packages/com.unity.2d.animation/Tests/Editor/Unity.2D.Animation.EditorTests.asmdef' will not be compiled, because it has no scripts associated with it.

Got this error in both 2d and 3d project

How to fix it?

7. tcz8

tcz8

I get this error in every new project I create on 2019.4.24

This is on a brand new pc on which I just installed windows and unity.

MBSCHANT likes this.
  8. GAMERFLEXTV

GAMERFLEXTV

Just opened up a new empty project in 2019.4.26f and have this error.

Assembly for Assembly Definition File 'Packages/com.unity.textmeshpro/Tests/Runtime/Unity.TextMeshPro.Tests.asmdef' will not be compiled, because it has no scripts associated with it.
    UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorCompilationInterface:TickCompilationPipeline (UnityEditor.Scripting.ScriptCompilation.EditorScriptCompilationOptions,UnityEditor.BuildTargetGroup,UnityEditor.BuildTarget)

Starnge....

9. aron2011

aron2011

helllóóózto áron vagyok. Mátol énis közétek tartozom

10. Szia Áron, üdvözlet a Unity fórumokon. Ez a fórum csak angol, kérlek angolul posztolj. Ha problémád van az angol nyelvvel, használhatsz Google Fordítót, ha nem is pontos, a legtöbb ember meg fogja érteni. Plusz, kérlek ne írj off-topic, nyugodtan nyiss magadnak új threadet. Kiváltképp a béta topikban ne, a General Discussion való a kötetlenebb csevegésre.

(translation: Hi Aron, welcome to the Unity forums. This forum is English-only, please only post in English. If you have difficulties with the language use Google Translate, even if it's not accurate, most people will understand. Plus, please do not go off-topic, feel free to open your own thread. Especially not in the beta topic, the General Discussion is for the more off-topic discussion.)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2021
    istvan_nagy likes this.
  11. WarpZone

WarpZone

Assembly for Assembly Definition File 'Packages/com.jimmycushnie.noisynodes/NoisyNodes.asmdef' will not be compiled, because it has no scripts associated with it.

Happens in Unity 2020.3.17f1 LTS and Unity 2020.3.16f1 LTS. (May not have been an issue back in Unity 2020.3.15f2, or I may not have added the noisy nodes package to my project yet. I don't remember which.)

I have to say, it's particularly troubling to see a deal-breaker like this in LTS.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  12. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

This bug is back. It happened to me on HDRP, 2020.3.26F1. Showed up after dragging and dropping (which I do all the time with no issues) a folder with scripts that contained assembly definitions.

I recreated the project (luckily it was new and mostly empty) and the problem didn't show up this time around.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022