Search Unity

UnityEngine.UI documentation doesn't exist anymore

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Baste, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Baste

Baste

You moved UnityEngine.UI to a package in 2019.2, which is a good thing. But this had the side-effect of UnityEngine.UI not being a part of the docs anymore.

The package documentation for UnityEngine.UI seems to believe that the types are still in the scripting reference, as it links to it:
    "Class descriptions and API compatibility can be found in the UnityEngine.UI section of the script reference page"

But that's just a link to the scripting reference, which doesn't contain an entry for UnityEngine.UI.

Aldeminor likes this.
  2. WazzaM

WazzaM

TL;DR - I raised a bug and Unity need to think about packaged documentation along with packaged code.

Hi friends, I raised a bug about this so hopefully that gets some attention as no one has replied to this yet.
    Also, I think this creates a problem of what is in the standard API of Unity when they start moving components out of the core DLLs into packages. Clearly this creates a downstream issue for their build systems, including their documentation build system.

Further, now that TextMeshPro is "standard" or provided by Unity, the fact that it's Scripting Reference is not available is A BIG DEAL. The package system needs to support documentation and links to package docs need to feed into the manual and scripting reference; hell they run NodeJS on our systems now as part of the editor, why not use that to serve content and link the project-specific package with the Unity-install-specific main docs?? Just saying...

Aldeminor likes this.
  3. Baste

Baste

Somebody from the docs team replied in another thread; the API is here. There's a "Scripting API" link on the top of the package manager entry for each package - I just didn't spot it.

But, yeah, while there is an API available for TMP, it's just a list of types and methods. Its' a pretty big problem.

Magasenakwa and eses like this.
  4. eses

eses

Thanks Baste... I was just googling / browsing 2019.2 scripting API and couldn't find a thing about UI - got a bit worried.

It would be nice if this change would be somehow plastered all over the place - like at least the major changes to API docs could be listed on "Welcome to the Unity Scripting Reference" page or something.

Top google hits are for older Unity versions (2017, 2018) and results seem to lead mostly to Scripting API pages... which makes it hard to end up to packages page (which I have only visited once or twice :)

Edit:
    And now local manual is pretty much useless for me... unless there is one for packages.

5. jo-unity

jo-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @eses @Baste

We hear you! The transition of the UI docs to a package hasn't been smooth and has left many users feeling confused as to what happened with the docs. As I explained in another thread we dropped the ball when it came to redirecting and signposting the content.

We have some old systems we're working with here which means that it's hard to be reactive when changes happen like this. It's not great, I know, but that's why the documentation team is working on a project to streamline all our documentation into one easily searchable place. Meaning the manual, packages and API docs will all be at your fingertips rather than having to search through unhelpful google links.

I have no timeframe for when this is happening but it's in the works - and also rest assured we'll be making some quick fixes to the current UI docs so that it's clear where all the API docs are.

Jesper-Nielsen and Cromfeli like this.
  6. Baste

Baste

That's great.

When we're talking about package manager documentation, the new layout is real bad.. Look at this compared to this. The package manager docs is making me dizzy, and finding info is much harder.

- The full screen width is not used. People are not going to be using the docs at their phone, as the Unity editor doesn't run on a phone. Why are all your web pages made for phones? Staph. The entries in the leftmost list has to wrap all the time because it's not large enough, and there's a ton of white space to the left.

- More important things are less emphasized than less important ones. Section headers are large, but not bold, so whenever I scroll, my eyes zoom to the "Type" and "Description" fields. I need to be able to scan for member names, not repeating list elements.

- There's no color used to distinguish between entries, like in the main api docs.

- There's no outline when you hover things, like in the main api docs.

- We fought tooth and nail for years to have you put in a leave feedback entry on the main api docs, and now it's not there again.

In short, it's a massive regression. So, please, when you unify the systems, don't go with the package manager docs layout, go with the main API layout, because it's way, way better.

mitaywalle, Deozaan, JoNax97 and 3 others like this.
  7. Magasenakwa

Magasenakwa

Someone give that man a Bells!
    Very well put @Baste. Thanks!