Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityEngine.UI.dll is in timestamps but is not known in assetdatabase

Discussion in 'Asset Database' started by iivo_k, Oct 17, 2014.

1. alllen

alllen

Yup, I'm getting it on 5.1.3 as well. Unity isn't crashing for me though, it just seems to happen randomly for no real reason.

2. LightStriker

LightStriker

Did anyone found a solution?

I'm on 5.1.3, and once in a while, all the UI component loses their "script". It's freaking annoying.

EDIT: Some people pointed out that it usually happens when many version of Unity is installed. In my case; 5.1.1, 5.1.2 (PS4), 5.2.0.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  3. faraz

faraz

I am getting 4 different types of error.. any solution please

EDITED:
    Reimport All worked for me. :)

4. Gokcan

Gokcan

I also have many versions and I also get this error sometimes

5. MRKane

MRKane

This just started happening to us and we've had to re-import to try to fix it.

Given how much money my company pours into Unity for the things that we do this really isn't acceptable and frankly I would LOVE to be able to back-charge for the cost incurred when expensive programmers are twiddling their thumbs while waiting for Unity to sort itself out.

drumonman and wikmanyo like this.
  6. LightStriker

LightStriker

The error showing up doesn't automatically means it's broken - from what we managed to figure out.

However, the UI component losing their scripts never happens without that error first showing up.

Since we uninstalled 5.2, the issue didn't come back. We are hoping it's enough, because rebuilding a project's library can take hours.

7. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Yeh but which version Unity are you using!

8. MRKane

MRKane

For anyone interested: The issue began happening for us from version 5.1 and has repeated once with 5.2.

9. jamesvecore

jamesvecore

I'm personally seeing the issue far more with 5.2. It now happens 4-6 times a day for me.

10. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I create and empty project and get the error: "
    Asset '/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/UnityExtensions/Unity/Networking/Editor/UnityEditor.Networking.dll' is in timestamps but is not known in guidmapper...
    "
    Also, MonoDevelop crashes instantly.

I'm on OSX. It started happening in Unity 5.2.0, now also in 5.2.1.

11. dvs_code

dvs_code

Dude, you saved my life :)

j-robichaud and ilmario like this.
  12. Dolly5

Dolly5

yeah for this problem we can
    1.Close the unity project
    2.Delete the library folder inside project
    3.Open the same project.
    its worked for me

13. w34edrtfg

w34edrtfg

I'm idiot, i updated Unity before making the project release.
    Now i'm getting this error (Updated from Unity 5.1.1f to 5.2.1f1).

Reimporting All fixed it.

14. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

This happened to me several times today with 5.2.2 as I updated the project via source control. Unity would crash and then come back and have these errors. 5.2 is all kinds of unstable, between this and Mecanim issues. I want to revert back to 5.1 but 3rd party scripts we use depend on things that are new to 5.2 (as the 5.1 versions of these were deprecated)... it's frustrating to say the least.

15. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

-Thank you so much!

j-robichaud likes this.
  16. danw_unity

danw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

In Unity 5.3 we have fixed various different issues that lead to the problem discussed in this thread. It has been an ongoing problem that many different problems in the Asset Database can lead to the same symptom.

However, it is difficult to test this robustly, partly because all projects get reimported by the 5.3 upgrade, and Reimport All is the workaround. So it always appears to be fixed after the upgrade.

If anyone who is affected is able to upgrade to the 5.3 beta and let us know if things have improved or not, that would be invaluable feedback.

Thanks,

Dan
    Unity Support

j-robichaud and baci like this.
  17. Sycobob

Sycobob

Thanks for the update. I'm really happy this hasn't fallen by the wayside. It can be a serious thorn for larger projects.

18. danw_unity

danw_unity

Unity Technologies

Another thing that I don't think has been mentioned (sorry, I just found this out myself), is that you can once again reimport files from outside the project, so the @j.robichaud script from page 1 of this thread now works. In 5.2.0p1 onwards. It is a lot more convenient than the "moving the folder" solution.

Again, if anyone gives this a go, please reply here with any feedback.

Thanks,

Dan
    Unity Support

j-robichaud likes this.
  19. arunkarnann

arunkarnann

Using Unity 5.2.1 just Assets -> Reimport all fixed the problem.

20. MiloBu

MiloBu

This did it for me! Thnx!

j-robichaud likes this.
  21. jnt

jnt

This has worked for me several times when Unity 5 won't launch after a pull from our repo. Thanks so much for the tip!

I found you can even just:
    1. Delete (to Recycle Bin) "UnityEngine.UI.dll" from "C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem"
    2. Start up Unity
    3. Close Unity again
    4. Restore file from Recycle Bin
    5. Start Unity again and problem solved.

kurotatsu and Griffo like this.
  22. Griffo

Griffo

@jnt and @j.robichaud .. none of those solutions work for me :( .. Unity 5.3.1f1

23. almo

almo

Just got this 5.2.4.

24. Becoming

Becoming

Jep, another victim here... i am playing with the thought to change my profession to something more gentle on the nerves... maybe mercenary in some rogue nation?

Happened after working in a temp project on Unity 5.3 and going back to the workproject in Unity 5.2.
    Looks like i have to use j.robichaud's script after each start of unity form now on(like a scriptjunkie :(). BTW not only UI assemblies are wrongly timestamped but also Networking and Advertisements.

Big thx to @j.robichaud for this life saver! Though, i hope that there is a permanent solution to this almost showstopping problem.

j-robichaud likes this.
  25. marty

marty

This solution worked for me, without needing to delete any folders and endure reimport hell.

Editor -> UnityRemote -> Device -> None
    Exit Unity
    Launch Unity

[Thanks to user paiboonpa for the fix.]

Sounds like the bug vectors in from multiple places (e.g. the UI subsystem, iOS Remote). So, we're stuck with work-arounds until Unity Tech decides it's an issue again - they've closed the Issue Tracker entry for it at https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...and-launch-unity-again-position-out-of-bounds.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  26. Aarukka

Aarukka

Thank you j.robichaud! Your script saved my day too.

j-robichaud likes this.
  27. Nomibuilder

Nomibuilder

I have it.
    Just switch plateform from IOS to Windows Phone 8. And the error will be there.
    Unity Version: 5.2.1

28. Darkp_0

Darkp_0

I'm on 5.3.2f1,
    None of the fix worked for me.

the issue is reproduced each time i start a project from home, where my unity is installed in F: drive, then i try to export a prefab of an eventSystem witch is a ui element, from an other computer with same version of unity but installed in C: drive.
    The result, each time, is a broken eventSystem with no script on it in either the new project i was trying to export it to and the original project. When exporting , i think it tries to get the reference from the GUIcomponent folder in unity directory, witch is an absolute path in the DB and therefore not the same directory on both my computer.

This also happen for various ui element ex: image rendere, slider etc.

Please find a fix for this..

I can provide files that breaks each time you try to export a prefab of a ui eventSystem

29. fhickman

fhickman

Here's an updated version of the menu item script to repair this issue, without doing a full Reimport All (which can take a long time if your project is large).

Remember to file a bug report too! :)

Attached Files:

danw_unity likes this.
  30. puppeteer

puppeteer

I can confirm @j.robichaud solution worked for me. And @jnt 's abbreviation of the process works too. Just remember to delete ( and not SHIFT+delete) so that you can recover from the recycle bin when needed.

j-robichaud likes this.
  31. benblo

benblo

We have the problem (on Unity 5.3.4p1) pretty regularly, basically seems like every time a "big" pull happens (GBs of textures), Unity chokes on it during import and then it happens.
    And it's not just the UI, all the DLLs in the UnityExtensions directory throw the error, so I adapted @j.robichaud's script to just reimport them all:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using System.IO;
    4. public static class ReimportUnityExtensionsAssemblies
    5. {
    6.     [MenuItem("Assets/Reimport UnityExtensions Assemblies", false, 100)]
    7.     static void reimport()
    8.     {
    9.         var path = EditorApplication.applicationContentsPath + "/UnityExtensions/Unity/";
    10.         var dlls = Directory.GetFiles(path, "*.dll", SearchOption.AllDirectories);
    11.         foreach (var dll in dlls)
    12.         {
    13.             AssetDatabase.ImportAsset(dll, ImportAssetOptions.ForceUpdate | ImportAssetOptions.DontDownloadFromCacheServer);
    14.         }
    15.     }
    16. }
    I'm not 100% optimistic this is a good fix though, as we've definitely seen cases where the Library just seems clogged (don't know how else to describe it), everything is sluggish, from import to reload after recompile, to just drawing the scene, or even picking... all which disappears after a good ol' "reimport all" (which unfortunately takes hours on our 40GB+ library).
    BTW the cache server is only of minor help there, it does seem to pull a good chunk from the server in the first part of the reimport ("downloading..."), but then there are still more "importing..." progress bars after that.

GabLeRoux likes this.
  32. IzzySoft

IzzySoft

For the Sluggish Issue, does switching Focus to another Applications window and back (or just minimizing Unity Editor and Restoring it) fix the Sluggishness after Importing a DLL?

33. benblo

benblo

No no, this a general day-to-day issue, really looks like the Library becoming clogged/corrupted after months of work.

34. CPX_Chris

CPX_Chris

@benblo Thanks, I was just writing a version of @j.robichaud's script to handle doing all of them.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome, you saved me

36. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

This error occurred for me with Unity 5.0.1 when I moved a material from one folder into another while the material was applied to several objects. When I clicked on those objects and then clicked on their material in the inspector, it said it couldn't access the material, and then after restarting I got the dreaded "....UnityEngine.UI.dll' is in timestamps but is not known in assetdatabase..." error and also errors about the material missing in one of these databases. Deleting the old material solved the latter but not the former. I'm going to try j.robichaud's script.

37. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I tried that (deleting both of the files with that name), and it eliminated one of the two error messages but not the other; although play mode now works again.
    [Later edit: I needed to delete both files named UnityEngine.UI.dll - one at the path you listed and the other at: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity 5.0.1 new\Unity\Editor\Data\UnityExtensions\Unity\GUISystem\Editor
    That finally solved the problem]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  38. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I tried that script in Unity 5.0.1, but it gave several messages saying that the file path had to be relative to the project folder, not an absolute path.

39. synapsemassage

synapsemassage

I'm still on Unity 5.0.1f1 and plagued by this.Things that I did before:
    1. Looking into version tracking with Unity. Switching project editor settings forth and back for version control and asset serialization
    2. Deleting/Reinstalling shader forge due to issues (wrongly displayed version number and warnings
    https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/s...ed-shader-editor.222049/page-109#post-2798400 )
    3. Renaming folder from lower case to upper case (first letter of folder name)

BTW I noticed that making changes to asset serialization in project settings/editor invokes re-serialization and re-importing of small assets when switching to "force text" or "force binary" but not for "mixed". Is this normal behaviour? Or part of the problem?

40. Sky286

Sky286

Still getting this issue on Unity 5.4.1f1, we have been dealing with this issue for a long time and would be great to get a fix for it.

41. Tutanhomon

Tutanhomon

Asset 'C:/Program Files/Unity/Editor/Data/UnityExtensions/Unity/GUISystem/UnityEngine.UI.dll' is in timestamps but is not known in assetdatabase...

"Reimort UI Assemblies" script seems to help...

5.5.0f3

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are great!! :)

Izzy2000 likes this.
  43. Jonesy19

Jonesy19

As an FYI - this fix worked for me. Thank you!

j-robichaud likes this.
  44. john_ML_777

john_ML_777

I had same problem i got it solved by , copying complete to other location and opened it in unity.
    Still i got the same error. I closed unity went on path where unity project is located then deleted Library folder.
    After that started unity project again it was rebuilding project again and finally that error wasn't there...;)

45. shaoming

shaoming

Thanks useful

46. Kombiice

Kombiice

Happens to me right now.

47. kyungtai_windflow

kyungtai_windflow

thank you so much.

48. eliGasious

eliGasious

Still a great fix in 2019

49. Imperial-Dynamics

Imperial-Dynamics

Easy solution that works 100%:

go to Edit > Preferences > External Tools make sure the 'Generate all .csproj files.' is checked

close Unity
    delete all csproj and sln files in your folder
    open Unity