Search Unity

UnityEngine.Object properties when serialized have "m_" prefix. Why?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by hedgehog90, Jun 25, 2017.

1. hedgehog90

hedgehog90

Earlier I was trying to write a function that would return the relevant MemberInfo for a SerializedProperty (using propertyPath and targetObject), but I ran into a problem when I realized most (all?) of UnityEngine.Object properties when serialized are prefixed with "m_".
    I figured there must be some really well hidden properties with the "m_" prefix which while never directly accessed by the user, are there internally, but using reflection it appears they don't actually exist.

I want to know what's happening under the hood. I've looked at the decompiled Unity code and found nothing of note.
    Pertaining to my function, I suppose I could check each property, if the container type has the namespace UnityEngine then correct the property name accordingly.
    However I assume there's a more elegant solution.

Anyway, I'm really just curious about this "m_" business. What's the deal?

gostrafx likes this.
  2. TaleOf4Gamers

TaleOf4Gamers

It means a member variable, AKA a private one. (Probably something a little more specific than that, but eh)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_variable

I think it used to be standard to prepend variables in programming with this but its almost never used these days when developing with Unity

BerniceChua likes this.
  3. hedgehog90

hedgehog90

Sorry, I forgot to make this clear - I know what "m_" means as a convention for naming variables, my question is why does a variable like Renderer's "materials" becomes "m_materials" when serialized?
    I'm not sure if this behaviour occurs in all UnityEngine serializable classes, but I assume so.
    I've also noticed there's almost no reference to the variable m_materials (or m_anything) in the decompiled code, except for when referring to a SerializedObject's property.
    It appears from my POV there are a vast amount of hidden variables that these m_ variables refer to, but they aren't visible through reflection... or - for some reason - Unity prefixes every variable with m_ when serializing a builtin object (anything that uses UnityEngine namespace).
    It just strikes me as very strange behaviour and I can't see the root of it.
    This is Unity though... common sense doesn't get you very far here.

steinbitglis likes this.
  4. yasirkula

yasirkula

I saw these "m_" variables in UI source code, a lot. They are fields whereas the ones without "m_" are properties. I believe Unity's serializer doesn't serialize properties and thus, the "m_" fields are serialized instead (the reason I believe that is that we can't see properties in Inspector without a custom Editor script).

While scripting, we are not allowed to change "m_" fields directly as a change to that field might require some other field changes or internal function calls. Therefore, we change properties instead which handle these "other changes" automatically.

phobos2077 likes this.
  5. DSivtsov

DSivtsov

Bunny83 and Kurt-Dekker like this.