Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityEngine.AI

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Fman, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Fman

Fman

Hello.

Been learning C# and Unity3D both same time and gotten pretty far, I'm surprised of myself to say the least.
    But just a simple question, don't hang me for this! <3
    Been following some tutorials etc.

They use UnityEngine.AI in these tutorials, tried to google like crazy but can't find info, even from this site, so when I try to write up 'Using UnityEngine.AI', VisualStudio says that there is none named liked that.

So is it included maybe in UnityEngine and I am just watching obsolete tutorials?

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

UnityEngine.AI is the parent class for NavMesh related classes, so it's used for moving Nav agents around a scene. I'm not sure why VS would be giving you errors... Did you open the script by double clicking it inside Unity? Opening it otherwise might not be linking the proper assemblies to provide Intellisense for Unity's built-in classes.

3. Fman

Fman

Yes, opened through Unity by double clicking freshly made script, but it won't let me add UnityEngine.AI.
    VS says "The type or namespace name 'AI' does not exist in the namespace 'UnityEngine' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Well when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what Visual Studio thinks. It's the Unity compiler you have to please. So if you add the using directive at the top of the script, and VS has a problem, but the Unity editor doesn't, that's all that matters. It's annoying, for sure, and you'll have issues with autocomplete and such, but you can make it work.

You may also consider trying Visual Studio Code. They have Unity tools for it that work great, and it's a much more lightweight option than full Visual Studio.

5. Fman

Fman

Okay, thanks a lot!
    At least now I know, there is UnityEngine.AI and I don't have to overthink this further.
    I'll try that one out.

Schneider21 likes this.
  6. Fman

Fman

If someone else ever has this problem, reinstall did it for me.

7. Schneider21

Schneider21

Awesome! Thanks for posting the solution!

Fman likes this.
  8. Yunus_Sutanti

Yunus_Sutanti

I have the same problem and it's still doesn't work

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Apologies for commenting on an old post, but I believe the original problem was the you were writing "Using UnityEngine.AI;" whereas namespace declaration should be done with a lower case u in "using".

using UnityEngine.AI;

:)

Dmeowmixer likes this.
  10. MarkTims

MarkTims

Is UnityEngine.AI only available in the pro version of Unity? Im having the same issue.