Search Unity

UnityEditor.Timeline not found

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by IN_Ron, Jul 11, 2018.

1. IN_Ron

IN_Ron

Hi,

I'm trying to move a project from 2017.3 to 2018.2 and I'm having an issue with some scripts using UnityEditor.Timeline: The type or namespace name `Timeline' does not exist in the namespace `UnityEditor'. Looking at the documentation though (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Timeline.TimelineEditor.html) it should be there (although strangely enough it wasn't in 2018.1, but was in 2017.3).

What's going on here? Is anybody else having this issue or am I just doing something stupid (very possible)? If that namespace no longer exists, where would I find the functionality it provided (e.g. the currently being shown Asset and Director)?

Cheers,
    Ron

2. julienb

julienb

Unity Technologies

I just tried upgrading a test project using TimelineEditor from 2017.3 to 2018.2 and I didn't have any compilation issues. Is your script in an Editor folder? See this page, section Editor; scripts that use the UnityEditor namespace need to be in a special folder.

IN_Ron likes this.
  3. IN_Ron

IN_Ron

Hi Julien, thanks for getting back to me. You are right, the problem seems to be that these scripts are not in an Editor folder. This must be a new requirement (compared to 2017.3) as it was not an issue before (the scripts are implementing runtime code with some additional editor functionality guarded with an UNITY-EDITOR define).

Anyway, thanks for the pointer, I can now refactor the code to make it work again.

julienb likes this.