Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityAds

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Triggles, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Triggles

Triggles

I recently added UnityAds to my game using the plugin, in Android. It all works great, except for in a strange edge case. If I:

- Start my game WITH an internet connection
    - Go to a section of the game which allows me to request a video ad (by this time, it's checked ads are available)
    - Turn off the internet connection
    - Try to request an ad

At this point, it just sits there, then when I tap on the screen to do anything, the game essentially freezes (I think it's still running, but it refuses to accept input). Checking logcat suggests it tries to get to the ad server, then fails and dies.

I call Advertisment.IsReady() before requesting an ad, and I've even tried re-initializing it in the hope that it would fail, but it still attemps to get an ad.

I don't really want to have to check for internet connectivity every time I request an ad - I'd assumed UnityAds would do this itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks

P.S. I added "if(Application.internetReachability == NetworkReachability.NotReachable) return;" before I request an ad, but as I understand it this will still pass if the phone is connected to a network with no internet access. Still, that's a real edge case there, so it might be enough.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    unity-nikkolai likes this.
  2. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi Triggles,

Thanks for exploring edges ;)

I've added what you have described to our bug/support tracker, the system definitely should not freeze or crash your game in any circumstances.

Cheers,
    Heikki

3. Triggles

Triggles

Thanks Heikki!

If anyone needs a sample program to reproduce it, please do not hesitate to ask.

P.S. This was with Unity 4.6 beta - I hope that wasn't related.

4. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi Triggles,

Just to let you know: We reproduced the problem you reported and have made a fix for it. It will be available in our next asset-store update.

Cheers,
    Heikki

5. Triggles

Triggles

Wow, that is fantastic news! Thanks guys!

6. needhamca

needhamca

awesome!

7. henkui

henkui

Great that a fix is on it's way but are there any estimates on when the next update with the fix might be available?

8. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi Henkui,

We are still testing it. But I would expect it to ready to go out within a week.

Cheers,
    Heikki