Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityAds in Services window not really stable enough

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by andymads, Sep 30, 2015.

1. andymads

andymads

It's getting pretty annoying now. Every so often when I go back to my project I get these errors.

The imported type `UnityEngine.Advertisements.Advertisement' is defined multiple times
    The imported type `UnityEngine.Advertisements.ShowResult' is defined multiple times

I've switched Unity Ads off in the Services window but every time I have to go back in, toggle them on, then off again.

Currently I'm working offline so now I have to log in (and the popup doesn't remember my details) then toggle them on, then off again to get rid of these errors.

2. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Do you have Asset Store version of Ads integrated into your game?

3. andymads

andymads

Yes. That's why I have to make sure they're turned off in Services.

4. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Correct, we unfortunately have a bug on this, so Unity will load UnityEngine.Advertisement.dll even if not enabled (and then it's unloaded). The bug has been fixed and verified internally, however since this is touching the build pipeline it won't make it before Unity 5.3 which is released in December.

Can you use the integrated version of Ads in Unity 5.2?

5. andymads

andymads

I'm happy to try. I'll have to refer to the steps to take, which I believe are somewhere in this forum?

Do I edit the existing ids with my iOS and Android ids?

6. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Note: Only do this if you are not using iOS GameCenter. We have a bug which will be fixed soon (see http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/af...elated-il2cpp-vm-method-getparamcount.354395/)

Instructions for enabling Services and Ads on your project
    1. Make sure you are logged in to Unity editor using your Unity account
    2. See http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/09/10/unity-services-are-just-a-few-clicks-away/ and http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAdsHowTo.html for instructions on "Service enabling" your project and enabling Ads
    3. Under "Advanced" section of Ads, enter your existing Game IDs
    4. Delete Ads asset store package files from your project (under "Plugins" and "Standard Assets" folders - make sure to delete the right files...)
    Let me know if you have questions.

-Rasmus

7. andymads

andymads

Ok, thanks @rasmus-unity. Got that working, pretty straightforward tbh.

Now, my questions:

Will the SDK be phased out? When?

Will the initialisation wait if there's no internet connection and keep trying, or fail and never try again?

Where did the Organisation name and id come from in the Services window? I never created it. Something to do with my license?

I'm confused about the whole Organisation/Project thing. We already have a company Unity Ads account that my boss set up. This has been set up with all our company details and our games, some which are live but not the one I'm working on. I've used the iOS and Android ids from here in the Advanced section. But if I go to the dashboard for our Organisation in the Services window then I get to a page that shows alternate versions of a couple of our games and it shows me as the owner. Will we need a new Organisation that somehow links to our existing company UnityAds account?

8. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

For now our plan is to have both the "engine integrated version" as well as Asset Store package. Technically they are using same binaries, and we'll have to at support Asset Store version for Unity 4.x users anyways, plus it might be used by some mediation network SDKs

It should wait until network connection is available, however we have seen situations where this doesn't work as expected. However we do have this usage scenario in mind for current improvements to the SDK

Correct, when you originally signed up for your Unity account, e.g. simply when registering Unity, you also automatically had an organization created. You can see your current organizations from https://accounts.unity3d.com/organizations, where you can also create new organizations, e.g. for your current company, and have the projects created under that org.

Hope this answers your questions, otherwise please write again.

Thanks,
    Rasmus

9. andymads

andymads

I'm still not fully clear on the Organizations.

It turns out that my boss has an auto-created organization for the company, as do I but it has an abbreviated name. Our other colleagues don't. Plus, we all have an organization with our own login name.

What is our aim? Presumably to have a single company organization that we are all a member of and has all our games in it?

The company's current Unity Ads account is accessed via my boss's email and a password, but not his UDN login. This Unity Ads account has both live and development games in it. What happens to this account?

What do we do about our live games? Simply create them again as new in the company organization and lose all the history?

10. andymads

andymads

11. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

12. andymads

andymads

13. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Sorry. As I understand you want to assign multiple people to one organization, right?

You create a new "shared" organization for your company at https://accounts.unity3d.com/organizations and then assign the people to that organization, and use that for your company-wide projects.

Otherwise, please let me know what the question is...

Best regards, Rasmus

14. andymads

andymads

I thought it was pretty clear that my questions were the sentences with question marks at the end - but here they are again.

The company's current Unity Ads account is accessed via my boss's email and a password, but not his UDN login. This Unity Ads account has both live and development games in it. What happens to this account?

What do we do about our live games? Simply create them again as new in the company organization and lose all the history?

15. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

Ok, in that case you can still access your existing games at the old dashboard at https://unityads.unity3d.com/admin/#signup, where your boss signs in with his usual e-mail. If you are using Unity 5.2 ads integration, you can still change the Game Ids in the Services window under Ads->Advanced

We will at some point migrate all existing Game Ids to the new system, but for now we keep existing Game Ids in the old dashboard. Hope it clears up things, and sorry for confusion caused by this.

-Rasmus