Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question UnityAds 4.x is required by Google but it's not listed in package manager?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by _geo__, Jun 30, 2022.

1. _geo__

_geo__

This message popped up today in the GooglePlay backend.

I am on Unity 2021.3.5f1 (the current LTS release) and updated my app yesterday. The package mananger lists the Advertisement package as 3.7.5 and there is no 4.x version? I have preview packages enabled.

UnityAds.png

How do I get the 4.x Ads SDK?
    The message in their backend seems rater serious, so any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE:
    Okay, I think I found it. If you go to "ProjectSettings > Services > Ads" then there you will find a button to install the newest version.
    UnityAds2.png

Maybe I missed something obvious but to me that looks like a, let's say, suboptimal workflow.

At least it is then listed in the package manager too:
    UnityAds3.png

The docs page does not list the changes for 4.x. But the API docs are for 4.x. For example the "enablePerPlacementLoad" options does no longer exist for "Advertisement.Initialize()".
    Docs: https://docs.unity.com/ads/UnityAPI.html
    ChangeLog (where is 4.x ?): https://docs.unity.com/ads/AdsSDKChangelog.html
    Maybe it's on the packages website: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.ads@4.2/changelog/CHANGELOG.html (aha, gotcha!).

So I guess my new question is: "Is enablePerPlacementLoad now enabled or disabled by default?" - Update: I think the answer is yes.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  2. rgn-games

rgn-games

Hi @_geo__
    Am also facing the same issue (google popup about upgrading Unity SDK for data safety). Can you please confirm if this issue is resolved after updating Unity Ads SDK to 4.2.1 and have you also updated data safety form on Play store? In data safety form i have mentioned that we are collecting only "Device and Other IDs".

3. nerddoc001

nerddoc001

@rgn-games I faced the same issue, did update to 4.2.1 and still have same message by googleplay

4. rgn-games

rgn-games

@nerddoc001 message is against new version or the old version? I have updated unity ads sdk to 4.2.1 and also updated data safety form. New build is live along with new data safety section. But am still not sure if the issue is resolved or not.

5. _geo__

_geo__

It still displays the message for the build version which initially triggered the warning but I have not seen it for the new build with 4.2.1 ads. I have not changed any data safety settings in GooglePlay.

Whether or not that is enough I can only speculate.

6. nerddoc001

nerddoc001

@rgn-games sorry, I mean I updated my game using Unity Ads 4.2.1, upload the APK to google play, and still get the warning message

7. rgn-games

rgn-games

@_geo__ Please also update here if you get any response from play store. it will really help us to solve the issue at our side.
    I have updated data safety as per mentioned on unity ads docs. below is the link where they have mentioned about data safety part.
    https://docs.unity.com/ads/GoogleDataSafety.html

@nerddoc001 lets wait for google response. i wish they should not block our games. :)

8. _geo__

_geo__

@rgn-games thanks for the link.

I now have the message for the new build as well (took a while to show up). So, uh what to do now? The ADS sdk is > 4.0.1 (4.2.1). Should we downgrade to 4.0.1 to satisfy Google Play?

Also there seem to be a new question added "Is your app currently certified by an authorised lab, according to the Mobile Application Security Assessment (MASA) framework? Learn about how you should answer". - I guess the answer is NO?

9. SandJewel

SandJewel

We have the same issue and have tried ALL versions of the Ads SDK - Unity needs to respond to this so we can fix it before the due date or our apps will get removed.

10. _geo__

_geo__

Yes, it would be nice to get a Unity Employee to answer this. But I imagine they currently have other things on their minds (like questioning if they will still have a job tomorrow).

I don't think any app will be removed due to this. Unity is a big player and UnityAds is too. Thus this is a problem that many many devs will have.

And the message says "Starting from 1 September 2022 midnight (UTC), new app releases containing the SDK version(s) that do not comply with the user data policy may be blocked from release." So, yes, you may not be able to submit updates but nothing will be removed.

I think this is an issue of getting the checkboxes to align with what UnityADs does and what GooglePlay wants you to check if you use Unity Ads. The docs on the UnityAds website are not 100% clear and also a bit outdated as there are new and different questions in the data questionare.

If someone has a working "checkbox" setup on Google Play it would be a nice thing to share ;-)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  11. gaishinbu

gaishinbu

That's very interesting. The Unity team needs to give an explanation for this situation as soon as possible. I also updated the SDK but I need to change my ADS script. This is not easy for me.

12. SandJewel

SandJewel

That’s at least comforting to know they won’t outright remove them by a certain date.
    I question whether or not the checkboxes have anything to do with this - reason being, I’ve submitted updates before and done the checkboxes for the questionnaire AFTER the apk was uploaded & never received any sort of notification to fix. (Unless this is a new thing on Google’s behalf).
    I think this is something new google detected, and Unity needs to patch or release a new version of the SDK to fix it.
    Hopefully the mystery of this issue is resolved soon!

13. gaishinbu

gaishinbu

I hope the old SDK versions won't be a problem either. Otherwise I will have to fix my ADS scripts.

14. rgn-games

rgn-games

@_geo__ so far i have not received any message regarding data safety section.I have updated unity sdk to 4.2.1 and also updated the data safety. Please read below mentioned link from unity and i think it will help you. As per unity document they are also collecting other information like location, user id purchase history etc.

https://docs.unity.com/ads/GoogleDataSafety.html

My new build was uploaded on 1st July so far no message but lets wait for google.

15. _geo__

_geo__

I have to correct myself. I have no message for the updated build. Rather the message I saw was for another (older) app which coincidentally showed up at the same time as I submitted my new app. So right now it's looking good.

16. nerddoc001

nerddoc001

may I know the working steps?

17. _geo__

_geo__

I upgraded to UnityAds 4.2.1 and updated the data form. I don't know if the message will come but it has not been shown for the last few days so I think it might be okay. I followed the guide here: https://docs.unity.com/ads/GoogleDataSafety.html

I have "Acquire Optimization" turned off. Therefore I set "Does the SDK collect data on any other app activity?" and "Does the SDK collect the user’s purchase history?" to NO. Everything else I did according to the docs.

18. SandJewel

SandJewel

@_geo__
    when you uploaded your APK, did you do the data safety form first, and then upload the APK after? If so, did the message show up when you completed the data safety form?
    Let me know if you did the data safety form first, and waited for that to be approved before uploading the APK
    Thank you!

19. _geo__

_geo__

I uploaded the .aab first. Later I updated the form. So maybe the form does not matter at all, idk.

20. rgn-games

rgn-games

i have also done the same but i updated sdk and data form at the same time. so i have no idea which one has resolved the issue. For data safety form i have included location(collected and shared), user id(collected), app interaction and other actions(collected), app diagnostic(collected), device and other id(collected).

21. SandJewel

SandJewel

I have a question - does the old message disappear in the console once you’ve updated both the data safety form and the .aab or APK file?
    I still see the old message from June 29th, even though I updated the APK today.

22. nerddoc001

nerddoc001

23. rgn-games

rgn-games

@SandJewel i think old message will be there because its for an older version of build and it will work same like inbox messages. I wish we should not face this issue for newer build as every such message gives a mini heart attack :)

24. SandJewel

SandJewel

@rgn-gamnes thank you that makes sense!

My last question is, if an old APK version is referenced in the message, and it says ‘inactive’ - do we need to take any action to remove that APK from the APK upload history or no?

25. makaka-org

makaka-org

Is there an upgrade guide from 3.7.5 to 4.2.1?

I guess that now we need to load ad manually and then show.
    Previously, the loading was automatic: we just need to show an ad.