Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Unity6 release date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Allan-MacDonald, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Allan-MacDonald

Allan-MacDonald

I poked around online a bit, is there anything more solid than 2024 for Unity6 release? Cheers. I feel like this might be a turning point for Unity if they can pull it off, in regards to the turmoil over the last year or so.

2. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

Unity 2023.3 around GDC in March.

Then Unity 6 before Unite 2024. The earliest would-be August but I would think they would want to add some small new features to Unity 6, if they can, so I would guess October-November at or before Unite 2024.

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

No.

Why? It's just the 2023 LTS rebranded.

stonstad, Sluggy, IOU_RAY and 2 others like this.
  4. runner78

runner78

Unity 6 will basically be what we currently have with 2023.3 beta, just with several months of fixes, there won't be any big changes. With the current "reset" I don't think Unity has the resources to do it at the moment.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

What are you expecting they pull off? If the current turmoil has any positive effects (and I doubt it) we are probably at least a couple of years away from seeing any results from it.

MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  6. Allan-MacDonald

Allan-MacDonald

Sure, but they are overhauling the rendering quite a bit aren't they with the resident drawer? That's sort of a big deal wouldn't you say, compared to previous roll outs?

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

I wouldn't assume anything they showcased in the Unite keynote will be released on time. I just checked the official thread and I noticed that @Tim-C no longer has the Unity employee indicator below his avatar and he hasn't logged in since Jan 31st. He may very well have been laid off with the developer working on the keynote featured upscaler.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/gpu-driven-rendering-in-unity.1502702/

XiangAloha, Sluggy, Meltdown and 4 others like this.
  8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Holy S***, I even held back from saying something along the lines of "that's assuming the people that made it still work at Unity" in order not to jinx it.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

No. I wouldn't. Aside from the part that's already mentioned where multiple people working on these features have been laid off, these features would have been in development since well before any of the things like the CEO change happened.

Once you look at the timeline of these things, there's nothing to say this is a "new day for Unity" or anything of the sort because these things were happening in the old days of Unity.

liquify, MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  10. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

So all the creators or at least main drivers of new technology showcased at last Unite were let go, nice.

11. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Most of us that have been here long enough to see a lot of features get released, know that its really and I mean really risky to assume anything until the feature is literally released and considered usable by the users of the engine - which I am sad to say happens very rarely these days.

Dont get me wrong, I am excited for resident drawer but I wouldn't hold my breath. Also, its definitely not really an overhaul, its a switch that adds some extra perf similar to how jobs and/or burst can add extra perf. It wont be redefining of the overall experience of using or developing with unity in any way other than that. Nobody is screaming from the rooftops about burst, despite it being a cool thing (and I personally really do love burst). Its not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things when you look at everything in context.

You have been here since 2015 so none of this must be news to you :D

stonstad, Lurking-Ninja and Ryiah like this.
  12. kdgalla

kdgalla

Forget new features for now. At this point, just pray we still get bug fixes.

IOU_RAY and christh like this.
  13. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

I'm still here and still working :) Not sure why the marker above my name has gone away. We're still improving and fixing reported issues in the GPU Driven project and have discovered a number of really nice general performance and memory improvements to unity rendering along the way which we are currently landing. Nothing supper crazy or large but a few juicy little things.

14. Antypodish

Antypodish

I have pinged mods via report, to checkout your Unity marker above head.

It is nice to hear there is someone works on GPU stuff. Is this very small team in GPU department now? Or is it wrongly perceived on media and by the community?

15. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

We have a pretty big graphics team and we increase and decrease the number of people on projects depending on need and priorities. Right now we are doing the hardening phase for the GPU driven stuff we have which means that there are a few less people working on that then there were when we were doing primary development. We are just working on getting good stuff out the door to the best quality we can. We have some pretty nice stuff in the pipeline as well.

16. kdgalla

kdgalla

@Tim-C, I wanted to say thanks for responding! Some of my posts have been pessimistic lately, in light of the news, so I appreciate hearing the "real deal" from someone on the inside.

VenetianFox, Sluggy and Colin_MacLeod like this.
  17. FirstMnM

FirstMnM

With Timothy Lottes no longer at Unity, and him being the (past) point-person by all appearances on both the upgraded TAA & STP - does Unity have a new point person working on this where he left off? His public comments have noted several things with both as placeholder or still in beta-status - waiting to be resolved. I've been looking forward to both the next-gen TAA and what STP is aiming to bring to the table, so this has been an area of some concern.

Also, since I'm typing - any chance of an injection point being made available at the same step as Unity's built-in AO? The only current option available is a few steps later, which causes issues with emissive surfaces/direct light contributions when trying to use other AO options.

18. Enkianthus

Enkianthus

There has been a significant improvement in the visual quality of the graphics from the Universal rendering pipeline between versions 2022.3.30f1 and 2023.2.11f1.

ippdev likes this.
  19. OrbitalDuck

OrbitalDuck

This is definitely true, switched from built in to URP in ver 2020 and even back then URP was better than built in for graphic quality and it just keeps getting better. Its not easy keeping up with breaking changes etc but the render quality/shaders it comes with give really good results an it is worth it. The URP team have created a really good renderer, thank you :)

20. ippdev

ippdev

I am using alot of the new URP tools for a new title heavy on VFX, shaders and SDF's ,procedural IK animation and many other bits of kit that have surprised me. Thanks for the cool tools.

MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  21. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I guess we are getting Unity 6 sooner rather than later. I somehow missed this, but they are not doing an extra TECH release as they announced. Unity 2023.3 IS Unity 6 as per the post here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-6-beta-2023-3-feature-highlights.1532590/

I guess they are skipping the stabilization step:

I think it's a good step forward. Unity can't produce stable software, so why spend time doing the impossible? Just embrace mediocrity and set the appropriate standards and expectations along with the "new" naming scheme.
    Make that a couple of months.

22. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No, we are; it's been renamed to 'Unity 6 Preview' (as note at the top of this blog post). Everything on that diagram is still happening, the names are just different - '2023.3 Beta' is now 'Unity 6 Beta', '2023.3 Tech Release' is now 'Unity 6 Preview', and '2023 LTS' will be 'Unity 6'.

23. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

okay but what does this mean for the new terms? Does the runtime fee come into play in unity 6 preview? Because that's the main thing everyone cares about when it comes to anything dubbed 'unity 6' and will determine if we use it or not

Sluggy and AcidArrow like this.
  24. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

RTF will start applying to Unity 6 and later releases. Not current betas, and not the Unity 6 preview.

Sluggy, Antypodish, Ryiah and 2 others like this.
  25. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Perfect thanks for clarifying.

Will we be able to stay using Unity 6 preview once Unity 6 full release comes out?

26. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Why would you want to? It'll inevitably have unaddressed bugs fixed only in LTS proper. Same with packages, which are rated for specific engine versions, so if you need support for them, you have to upgrade the engine.

27. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can ship with a beta or preview version but there won't be any updates for those once Unity 6 is fully released.

28. Ryiah

Ryiah

All of the LTSes have unaddressed bugs too. :p

WolveX and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  29. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes, but since those are supported for longer, there is more potential that the bugs will get addressed with a Won't Fix, a By Design or a Can't Reproduce

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  30. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

If you're lucky. If not, they simply remove the feature and tell you that they are "streamlining".

31. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thanks for the reply.

So essentially the current unity LTS is the last viable version for anyone not wanting the RTF, after which we should progress to other engines.

I guess it was time to move on sooner or later, it's sad we are getting so close to the end but I guess it is what it is.

Ryiah and zyzyx like this.
  32. OCASM

OCASM

The runtime fee isn't obligatory anymore. There's now the option of a 2.5% royalty on gross revenue after 1m USD in gross revenue.

https://unity.com/pricing-updates

33. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's the idea that most studios that were already paying upfront are now going to have to pay after release too.

34. Sluggy

Sluggy

Forgot about poor old 2022 LTS so soon? Once they walked back the retroactive license I decided it was still possible for me to finish out my project using it. After that though....

35. Murgilod

Murgilod

Problem is that the 2022 LTS is going to start having problems with console support eventually, likely within the next couple years. If you've got a game that's going to be supported for a long time, 2022 is going to be an issue.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  36. Sluggy

Sluggy

In all fairness, I'd think if your projects are large and successful enough that you have such issues then you probably are capable of dealing with the 2.5% fee.

For people like me on the other hand, there is almost zero incentive to do anything beyond fixes for show-stopper bugs, which means I don't need to worry about engine version updates or porting to new consoles (or really consoles at all because I can't afford the licensing anyway). But I don't make large or popular games.

37. Murgilod

Murgilod

In all fairness, it's not about "being able to pay the fee" but that the fee has been suddenly introduced and has massively eroded trust in a company that was already suffering for a loss of it for various other practices. It's not just the fee, it's what the fee represents.

38. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

The fee represents Unity not being profitable. And I doubt it'll change much in that regard. The Chinese giants like MiHoYo have their own version of Unity with no runtime fee. And all the other big guys will get custom deals per usual while Unity is still free for most indies. So the fee only really hits mid tier projects and popular mobile games in theory.

The only hope is that the closure of 14 offices and general downsizing finally puts them in the black in a couple of years. And kicking out JR and his ironSource buddies was a good move.

39. Murgilod

Murgilod

I can't imagine why a company that's been desperately acquiring other companies for years while either not delivering a product from those acquisitions or completely crippling the products they already had would be losing money.

40. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Either extreme incompetence or extraction capitalism is at play. I'm feeling conspiratorial, and this strategy aligns consistently with JR's modus operandi: acquiring miscellaneous assets to inflate the share value, thereby financially benefiting his inner circle. Maybe both.

41. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Nah, it represents a lot more than that, because they had a year to prepare rolling this new fee and they failed spectacularly, the messaging was muddled, the pricing confusing (on purpose or due to incompetence- who knows?), they stealth-deleted the previous TOS and when asked how can they pull the rug under us we were told "well the lawyers told us we can do it, so...".

In short, it was the one two punch realisation of, "oh, they will screw us over with every chance they get, huh", and also "oh, they can't plan and execute anything properly, huh"

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  42. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Yea, but some of the main decision makers behind all of that are gone now. From some reports this came mainly from ironSource leadership, and those guys got the boot.

43. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't believe that. Could be wrong. I don't think I am, but I hope I am.

44. Murgilod

Murgilod

Except a lot of this stuff happened well before IronSource. These have been problems that were ramping up for nearly a decade.

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's documentation has a 6,000. That's quite the delay. :p

upload_2024-3-16_18-16-26.png

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  46. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

The Ironsource people were only onboard for about a year. Unity has been implementing a pump and dump strategy since before the IPO. The royalty scheme based on installations had Riccitiello’s classic monetization strategy written all over it.

I actually don’t think that the Ironsource people were the major issues. Also, they are still on the board of directors. At least the Ironsource people are in the industry. You still have a lot of venture capitalist influence which has a corrosive effect.

I hope that Unity goes through a retrenchment process and focuses on organic growth with a focus on profitability. The venture capitalists are going to hate it. My guess is next year we will probably see a final round of pump and dump before the venture capitalists are gone.

47. PanthenEye

PanthenEye

Maybe, but I doubt JR is alone to blame.
    Pocketgamer I think had an article linking ironSource people to runtime fee since apparently it was designed to combat AppLovin - ironSource's major competitor. They intentionally made the fee untenable for most people, but offered an option to wave it completely if they ditched AppLovin for Unity Services aka ironSource.

The runtime fee also seemingly was initially designed only with mobile in mind since impressions/installs and everything is microscopically tracked on there, and which is why they were caught with their pants down in non-mobile contexts. Unity's main revenue sources are of mobile origin. Some of us here like to think Unity is not a mobile engine, but it really is mobile first, everything else second (even if they do it badly).
    Can't really comment much on that, only time will tell what happens next, but current restructuring and closure of offices implies at least some structural change and focus on attaining profitability.

48. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I don’t buy the idea that this was all a misunderstanding. I really think Riccitiello was trying to avoid layoffs. Unity communicated that installs were the metric they were going to use. The idea of leveraging ironSource by incentivizing people to use it and other Unity services, that cannot stand on their own merits, also sounds like his work. It is the kind of shady bundling cable TV companies do.

49. Sluggy

Sluggy

Because tech companies and the banks that push them to IPO are all after the holy metric of growth. Profits be damned. The goal for almost all of them is to grow, acquire any potential competitors, and fund themselves via the seemingly infinite pool of vc money that was pouring in from near-zero interest rates. Unfortunately for them, reality has started to creep back into the system and suddenly the funders want to see profits again for the first time in like twenty years.

VenetianFox, OCASM and marcoantap like this.
  50. vejab

vejab