Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity5 WheelCollider - simple wheel with no suspension possible ?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Wekthor, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Wekthor

Wekthor

Hi,

i am trying to setup wheel collider with no suspension, i want to handle those on my own for several reasons. But the problem is that when i set Suspension String and Damping to 0. The wheel collider will act weird. What is most strange is that setting those values to 0 affects how velocity is added to the rigidbody. It basicly doesnt work. But when you set those parameters to regular values adding velocity works without problem.

So the question is basicly how you would setup in Unity5 wheel collider which has no suspensions on and works without issues. Imagine fixed wheels on car, no suspension at all, like a toy car for example.

Thanks
    Luke

2. Edy

Edy

I've been trying to find that setup as well, but no success so far. At some point I got some spring/damper values that worked mostly correct, but the vehicle still exposed weird behavior on some situations.

3. Wekthor

Wekthor

yeah, same here. I have old version in Unity4 so i will probably have to go back to that. It seems that the new wheel collider just doesnt support that behaviour, you need to have some suspension on. At least that what it seems to be the case. In Unity4 it works fine when suspensions are off.