Search Unity

[Unity5] Graphics.DrawMesh with reflection probes

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Hyunkell, May 5, 2015.

1. Hyunkell

Hyunkell

I'm trying to render a large stack of items using Graphics.DrawMesh in order to avoid creating a GameObject for each item.
    I have found that by default, meshes rendered using Graphics.DrawMesh ignore all reflection probes. (They use the skybox as a reflection source instead)
    The only overload of Graphics.DrawMesh that does use reflection probes is the one taking an anchorProbe parameter. Unfortunately the only version of this overload does not take a transform matrix. It only supports position and rotation (but not scale)

Here's a small code snippet illustrating the issue: (disable all but one Graphics.DrawMesh call)
    Code (CSharp):
    1. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    2. public class TestComponent : MonoBehaviour
    3. {
    4.     public Mesh mesh;
    5.     public Material material;
    6.     void Update()
    7.     {
    8.         if( mesh != null && material != null )
    9.         {
    10.             // Ignores reflection probes
    11.             Graphics.DrawMesh( mesh, transform.localToWorldMatrix, material, 0 );
    12.             // Ignores reflection probes
    13.             Graphics.DrawMesh( mesh, transform.localToWorldMatrix, material, 0, null, 0, null, UnityEngine.Rendering.ShadowCastingMode.On, true );
    14.             // Uses reflection probes
    15.             Graphics.DrawMesh( mesh, transform.position, transform.rotation, material, 0, null, 0, null, UnityEngine.Rendering.ShadowCastingMode.On, true, transform );
    16.         }
    17.     }
    18. }
    Is this intended behaviour or is it a bug? If it is intended to work like this, is there any chance we can get an overload of Graphics.DrawMesh that takes both a transform matrix and a probe anchor as parameters?
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static void DrawMesh(Mesh mesh, Matrix4x4 matrix, Material material, int layer, Camera camera, int submeshIndex, MaterialPropertyBlock properties, Rendering.ShadowCastingMode castShadows, bool receiveShadows = true, Transform probeAnchor = null);
    Cheers,
    Hyu

2. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

This seems to be a bug.(Have the same issue) But thanks for the workaround with the right method call .

3. SeriousBusinessFace

SeriousBusinessFace

Perhaps there's an ancillary problem that could be solved - What problems are you seeing with having one game object per mesh?

4. jbooth

jbooth

Graphics.DrawMesh is not necessarily going to be faster than one game object per mesh. From my understanding, every call to Graphics.DrawMesh is a separate draw call - where as separate game objects will be dynamically batched if they are under ~300 vertices. I was doing some work with asteroid fields a while ago and found that Graphics.DrawMesh was actually many times slower than just making lots of game objects.

5. RosieGarden

RosieGarden

Actually, from my experience, Graphics.DrawMesh uses the same dynamic batching that separate gameobjects uses.