Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity5 free and occulus rift DK2 possible right now ?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by educa, Apr 1, 2015.

1. educa

educa

Excuse me if I ask stuff that has been answered elsewhere, but I read a lot of info and some info says it can, some says it can not.

If I download Unity 5 free version right now (I own Unity3D 3.x PRO license but didn't upgrade afterwards because I am educator and do non profit things). Can I then just buy a Occulus rift SDK 2 and immediately make small minigames which work on the RIFT ?

In some threads I read that 5.x support for the rift is not yet ready.

Kind regards,

Bart

2. jashan

jashan

Unity "free" actually has been supported for a little while, see blog posting from December 23, 2014: Calling all VR enthusiasts: target the Oculus Rift with Unity Free.

Furthermore, Unity 5 Personal Edition has all the Pro-Features that Oculus support could need (I guess Image Effects, in particular). So with Unity 5 it would work anyways.

I did read that some people were having troubles - but for me, so far, things always worked just fine.

There was a direct Unity VR integration announced, including some details here on the forums: Oculus Rift without plugin details? - that one is indeed not ready, yet (it's in alpha) ... but you can use the Oculus SDK / Unity integration just fine, that's two different things.

3. educa

educa

Thanks for the info Jashan. I suppose you remember me ? The forum seems to have forgotten me since it shows I only joined the forum on march 3 2015 ;) but in reality I am a unity user since it was on mac only and I even was alpha/beta-tester upto U4

Different other projects led interest away from unity3d but nowI finally have time again to join the 3d fun.

4. jashan

jashan

Oh, yeah, Bart fka EducaSoft? I believe we're still connected via Skype. I do remember you - welcome back ... but there should be a way to recover your old forum account.