Search Unity

Unity4 vs Unreal Engine 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WillModelForFood, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nestg

nestg

i dont understand why some threads "Unity vs SOME GAME ENGINE" has closed and others no, well i like this threads, ever remember that engines you want compare, in this case Unity FREE or Unity PRO, too remember that UDK free is for non commercial projects, then in price for commercial games always win Unity Free, then for us$99 you have better graphics and tools with UDK but only for windows and ios (after us$50.000 in sales you pay 25% to UDK), then in resume this unity VS UDK depend of the features mix with the price and publish plataforms, a serius analisys can take 20 things in this categories, FREE, us$99 license, and us$1500 license, at final for commercial games Unity would be win in all categories except in us$99 (windows and ios), but for me the more interesting VS thread in this moment is for 2 game engines very similar: Unity3D and Shiva3D, other good VS thread but not for this forum is UDK vs CryEngine.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  2. DaneC020

DaneC020

Can we kill these threads, they are pointless. Use what ever fits your project the best.

For me Unreal use to be great but cost a fortune. It is still a good engine but Unity is more flexible unless you get the source for unreal. Without source you are stuck waiting for updates giving you access to features and can't optimize it. We used Unreal with full source on a 360 title but I couldn't say if using Unity would have been better. Unless you've used both on that platform, you can't compare them. What I can say is Unreal was a huge PITA for our team but since we had source we could fix anything we needed.

The reason you don't see many big titles for Unity yet is due to the mobile industry taking the market. A lot of developers have moved there focus to this market and a large portion of games there ARE powered by Unity. The companies that are making console games or high end pc games probably stick with Unreal because they are experienced with it and they have tech built for the engine.

With all that being said, the only thing you really get from Unreal when using the free version is pretty renders. Non professionals can jump in and throw some models in and things look pretty. The downside, everything looks the same and unity gets swarmed by people saying unity is not AAA. If you really know what you are doing there is no reason you can't make something that looks as good. End of story.

-Dane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.