Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity3D vs S2 engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MISIKE, May 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MISIKE

MISIKE

2. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

To be quite honest, S2 doesn't look very special. The screenshots are very generic and lack anything that makes the engine look particularly good. The editor looks much less intuitive than that of Unity. From reading through the animation page, it seems as if Mecanim does more. The physics don't seem very special, either (although the full vehicle physics look nice). The sound system also does less than Unity sound. The AI is comparable to many of the free add-ons to Unity.Though it is not yet up to par with Unity, it is new. If we give it a few years to grow, who knows where it will be? The website itself also lacks a lot of polish, with pixelated images, less-than-high quality models, and very generic feel. also, the license scheme is much worse.

3. khanstruct

khanstruct

Hmm, a less powerful, less intuitive, less versatile engine. It doesn't have a free license. You have to pay royalties. AND the company can't even get their act together to have it available for download. 1 to 2 days to order the engine? Really?

Take your spam elsewhere.

4. HolBol

HolBol

A cluttered site with pixalated graphics and pictures. Do I trust? Nope.

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Actually I think it looks pretty cool. Like a super-early version of Unity with better graphics. The site is garbage, but otherwise its pretty cool. Would I buy it? Heck no.

6. landon912

landon912

A big turn off is that when you click on the "video" tab, it takes you to a personal YouTube page whose image is of a drunk man at a bar; Really professional!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I lol'ed at that one :p

8. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

They delete bad threads from their forums. You didn't hear about the people who brought their S2 engine and complained about it. Don't remember since it has been a long time ago.

iOS support? Nope.
    Android support? Nope.
    Web-player support? Nope.
    Mac support? Nope.
    Linux support? Nope.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T

With regards to these presentations of alternative game engines that are done around here from time to time-

I'm no Unity fanboy(I have some emotional attachment to Unity but I can keep it aside and view things objectively).

However, Speaking only for myself, these presentations that center around dazzling graphics goodies do not impress me. What Unity gives me graphics-wise is more than good enough for me.

Whenever I evaluate a new engine, the first thing I look for is ease of use. For example, do I have to recompile each time I make changes to the game source? That kind of thing.

Along with all the graphics eye candy, present your case based on how long it takes to make a game in the alternative engine compared to how long it takes to make a game in Unity and you have my attention. Tell me you have an engine that has graphics comparable to Unity and takes half the time to finish a game and you have my attention.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  10. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

11. Dabeh

Dabeh

I didn't think it was possible for them to be any more obscure about the actual editor. I was wrong it seems, it is possible to be more obscure.

12. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

S2 engine has :
    1- screen space global illumination
    2-Sky rendering with dynamic clouds
    3-Realtime Local Reflections (RLR)
    4-model material editor
    5- script viewer
    and more.

all this for free :)

13. squared55

squared55

?

They don't even have a free license.

14. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

15. dxcam1

dxcam1

At least hire a guy that can design a decent web page and speak English if you're gonna scam people.

16. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

i"m s2 user not developer.
    the http://www.profenix.com/eng/ site well be closed .
    and the main site will be : www.s2powered.com

17. Zeblote

Zeblote

That editor looks very similar to the unity editor, what is going on

18. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

and the unreal engine 4 has the same editor :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  19. dxcam1

dxcam1

None of those engines have the same editor....

20. XilenceX

XilenceX

I only tried the Trial version of S2 real quick, but it reminded me of CE3 quite a bit... and since Crytek are utterly failing at providing a commercial license and regular updates for it I could imagine S2 as an Indie alternative. However S2 is only developed by an extremely small team (1guy? lol), so I don't think it would be wise to use the engine for a serious project at this stage. However it is definitely one to watch for further development and hopefully it will find its audience. I am glad for every 3D WYSIWYG engine with proper dynamic lighting that is released, because there are certainly too few of them.

21. landon912

landon912

The engine looks ok after getting past the awful website. Extremely impressed that it was developed by one guy and is at a some-what mediocre point.

22. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

I own a license of S2 engine.
    The main advantage against unity is the graphics... thats it. and in the new release the developer "Fabio" got Real Time Global illumination :eek: (im sure we will be dead before unity add such thing)
    however if you want to develop a full game you are better off using unity.

23. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

Hello , s2 enigne 1.4.5 have been released , and it's free :)

24. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

To be quite honest, S2 doesn't look very special. The screenshots are very generic and lack anything that makes the engine look particularly good. The editor looks much less intuitive than that of Unity. From reading through the animation page, it seems as if Mecanim does more. The physics don't seem very special, either (although the full vehicle physics look nice). The sound system also does less than Unity sound. The AI is comparable to many of the free add-ons to Unity.Though it is not yet up to par with Unity, it is new. If we give it a few years to grow, who knows where it will be? The website itself also lacks a lot of polish, with pixelated images, less-than-high quality models, and very generic feel. also, the license scheme is much worse.

25. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

check this out :
    https://www.facebook.com/1819412718...99&hash=638074392870665&pagefilter=3&ustart=1

26. nipoco

nipoco

Just had a quick look at their site. The graphics look definitely good. I would say even better than Unity's out of the box graphics (judging from the videos with that car in the forest) Maybe similar to Cryengine.

However, this is one of those one-man engines like Leadwerks, C4 etc. And to be honest I would never jump onto on of these, simply because it is nearly impossible for a one-man band to maintain a whole game engine alone. They have not the resources to keep that on track in a timely manner.

Yes and the website and license isn't the best either.

27. nipoco

nipoco

28. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

the engine made by small team

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  29. Almaj

Almaj

What amazes me the most is this one-guy-band being able and capable of making an engine with crysis-like graphics
    and a big and respectable team "unity and alike" cannot implement this on their engines, sorry but i cannot understand,
    is it so hard to implement a screen space global illumination, a Real-time Local Reflections, and a day-night cycle Sky rendering with dynamic clouds? this guy did it alone... come one i love unity, its easy to work with, lots of support with a great community and tutorials, assets store, various platforms support (PC, consoles, mobile, WEB) but... the graphics, THE GRAPHICS! compared to this one-guy engine is years behind, i can't understand, why Unity do not want look good, come one a little more eye candy don't hurt i swear :grin:

vexe likes this.
  30. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

s2 engine will support consoles soon :)

plus the enigne is very easy to use the coder said (the engine is half of cryengine half of unity )

31. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

I still wouldn't move over, unless it offered better support, better community and a better all around engine. Otherwise I'm staying with Unity.

32. Almaj

Almaj

I will use unity for specific simple games and platforms (WEB and Android) but for PC gaming and consoles = UDK, Cryengine and Unigine, Unity will Never come close to this engines.
    I've seen paintings with more realistic scenes than Unity!
    Remember the light is everything, without it the world is just flat and ugly.

33. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

UDK = hard take long time to learn

Cryenigne =poor support

unity = bad lighting graphics

34. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

What an original take on the problem

The only bad graphics in Unity are coming from bad artists.

35. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Yeah dude you're so wrong. All of these engines can have good graphics if you take the time to learn it. Oliver and Spike, looks amazing.

Click Here
    Click Here

36. yusuf1994

yusuf1994

I know , you are right . but this is cartoony graphic some indies want to make game that realistic graphic like (interstellar marines) but the graphic isn't that much.

Ps every engine has some features there's no engine has all feature. like unity3d , it's for cartoony games . but for realistic it feel something missed .

yusuf

37. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

So? Use the right art and it will look good. You can't blame Unity for your art not looking AAA.

38. chrisall76

chrisall76

interstellar marines, Guns of Icarus Online, City of Steam, Rochard, and many more are Unity 3D games and look amazing.
    You can achieve whatever graphical quality in the Unity engine if you try.
    Only difference is that Unity dosn't apply special features the first time you use it, letting the user do what they want.
    Plus Unity supports more platforms which is always something to worry about.

39. sr229

sr229

you don't need a lisence in S2. they are giving this for free with Full user priveleges. I am building a game using S2 while i'm running the alpha.

but im not a S2 Fanboy but. i think the engine itself is much easier to use than the current Unity 5

40. sr229

sr229

Well unless you use Havok which is 40x better than your game engines your fighting with+ Source Engine which a very nice simulation engine. Used on Titanfall

41. sr229

sr229

He actually found a team to help him out on the engine which also helps him zprogress on S2 Engine. it will try to top in Havok and Source which the top Engines of the decade

42. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Given that you don't have the ability to use "the current Unity 5," and you signed up just to make these three posts in a year-old thread, I'm pretty sure you are an S2 fanboy.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.