Search Unity

Unity3D Tangent Basis Calculator Plugin for xNormal

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Farfarer, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Farfarer

Farfarer

Hey guys,

If you're baking normal maps for use in Unity3D, you might be interested in this plugin for xNormal.

It ensures that the baker and renderer's tangent bases are exactly synced so you get better quality normal maps out of xNormal to use with Unity's calculated tangent basis.

Download it here!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    chingwa likes this.
  2. cupsster

cupsster

I'd like to congratulate you here as well! Finaly it look like we can use propper normal mapping in Unity :)

3. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Very cool! Thank you, sir!

4. A_Trax

A_Trax

Hi there Farfarer,
    Big thanks for the plug in. I haven't managed to get results that look as good as your example, but I'm very optimistic.
    Would you mind sharing some of the settings you used when exporting your model and running the xnormal bake? By the time I get my test bakes to unity it's clear I went wrong somewhere.
    Thanks a lot.

5. xenius

xenius

I just wanted to say THANK YOU from the deepest part of my heart. Just gave your tangent basis plugin a try and it works wondrously. Doesn't seem to give the absolutely flawless edge-fidelity i've seen with Mikktspace (when an engine is using it), but this is worlds closer to perfect than I've ever been able to get a baked normal map to appear in Unity.

$TangentBasisSuccess.jpg

Question: Do you intend to keep the plugin up to date as new version of xNormal come out?

6. Grieva

Grieva

Hi,

I'm not getting as nice results as I was expecting. My low poly mesh has soft normals and I baked two normal maps, one using UnityTSpace one using Maya transfer maps.

The UnityTSpace is definately better but its not as spot on as I was expecting, the meshes below are using the standard BumpedDiffuse shader.

$UnityTSpaceIssue.png

I followed the instructions pretty closely, is there something I might have missed when creating the mesh?

7. synapsemassage

synapsemassage

Hi James,

many thanks for the plugin, very usefull indeed! It really fixed some problems in my project. Will you adapt it to new versions of xNormal? It works with xNormal 3.18.1 not with newer versions. I think I will just keep the 3.18.1 installer to be on the safe side.

8. Derek Jenson

Derek Jenson

Hello James,

Would you share the source for the Unity TBC for xNormal? It would be great to compile this plugin against other versions of xNormal. I've found xNormal versions after 3.17.14 to not use GPU hardware correctly and for this reason have stuck with version 3.17.14 (64 bit).

If you will not share the source, would you mind compiling a 64 bit version with the 3.17.14 SDK?

Cheers,
    Derek

9. antislash

antislash

i Wonder why unity don't integrate that to their code....it's awesome

10. chingwa

chingwa

So a bump for 2019.... is this now irrelevant since Unity now includes a Mikktspace import option?