Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity3d subscription cancelled - user since version 1.8.0 Mac only... too disappointed :-(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muckel, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Muckel

Muckel

hello,
    well just wanted to let you and Unity know that i'll totally unhappy with the new price for Pro and the support for Editor on Mac.
    I'm a user since Unity startet... when it was Apple only!
    1.8.0 was my first version i'll bought and since than i'll supported Unity and paid them...
    and what does Unity now to us Mac user...???

nothing... no support for Nintendo Switch... but SDK is there for example... no support for consoles as wenn...nothing... editor on Mac is still buggy ... hub is not silicon ready ... looool what a mess...
    Support is arrogant and has no idea what they talk... just standard answers...
    like go home Mac user... we prefer Windows users... like when they startet too support Windows...
    when that happened... new people where coming to the Unity core team and changed all...
    Windows first was what they wanted and did so... the mess startet with Editor 3.5.0 ...
    since than Unity changed the good people with bad people ... rats...
    and you all can see how it went all down... the bad support for mobile as well...
    and than full force and spend all money for AR & VR... lol... like i'll said when they did ... you can read my open letter... and i'll was right...
    same to the forums... they where so great back in the day's ... people helped each other... Unity stuff helped too ...
    and now... you can be happy if someone reads your question...

can you imagine how sad it all is what Unity has become.... also for us long time user who supported Unity all those time... since the beginning when they where 3 cool guy's with a vision...
    and now... they want to become big and compete with Unreal... LOOOOOL
    they will never get that quality and they don't have the programmers to do that...
    they are years behind and will be... because they don't have the power too...

Unity should focus on us independent developer... support us with better versions of the Editor to make better Mobile games and app's ... Mobile still sucks... build size and performance...

sooooo disappointed about Unity3d ... the people behind ...
    they don't care so i'am...

good bye Unity3D
    ...we had in the beginning a fantastic time... but now it's a horror trip what you do with your long term users that supported you all the time!
    a shame
    M. :-(

2. Luemus

Luemus

The amount of "..." in this thread irritates me lol

Martin_H, Ryiah, CodeSmile and 2 others like this.
  3. derkoi

derkoi

Without going into too much details because of my NDAs, most of the consoles require you to build with a copy of Windows as they provide various windows software to do so. Not sure if that's still the case but when I became a console dev about 5 years ago, I had to use Windows 10.

Moral of the story, not sure it's Unity's lack of support on Mac to blame

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  4. Marble

Marble

I'm also disappointed at second-class Mac support. How does the Unity download archive still not support downloading the editor for Apple Silicon? Electron went AS-native many months ago but Hub is still a pig in Rosetta. That said, Unreal's Mac support is far worse. Disdain for Macs is a cultural habit in the industry.

Still, let's appreciate that Unity's Silicon-native editor is the fastest incarnation of Unity on any platform, that it was ported very quickly, and that it is remarkably bug-free for a brand new hardware foundation used by a severe minority of game developers.

As other posters have mentioned, I doubt issues with limited platform SDK support are Unity's responsibility. I agree that it would be good to have, but the fact is that the game dev industry historically revolves around Windows.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    moo1210, Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

Honestly, yeah, Mac support is shockingly awful and that's a pretty big deal when developing iOS games.

Muckel likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well most console dev kits only have Windows support, and that makes a lot of sense, so it's not really Unity's fault, to be fair, for that point.

Ryiah and CodeSmile like this.
  7. Murgilod

Murgilod

Sure, but that's only one part of the post that people are zeroing in on when there's more there than just that, like the Mac version of the editor being notoriously buggy, the lack of proper Silicon support for Hub, basically the entire Unity experience on Mac is an absolute mess, especially on Silicon. Then there's the issue of support which, yeah, is absolutely a mess even as a Pro user. That's more platform agnostic, but I can't imagine it's particularly great getting canned support replies on what feels like a second class citizen platform in general.

Muckel likes this.
  8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well Apple isn't part of Unity's Partner Program as far as I know. So Unity doesn't really need to leap to support it, they'll support it whenever they can rather than it being a major thing. Same for Unity XR vs Open XR. Same for anything in Unity land. If you're a partner you get gold support and Unity's users will support your hardware really well. If you're not a partner you'll just have to wait.

Apple's no better, they don't support Open XR or anything unless it benefits them directly.

If that's no good at least there's other options. I'm sure Unity's priority for the Apple platform is really high for mobile though, as that juicy ad stuff is so valuable.

Linux Editor was a wonderful dream, but never really something that Unity will do beyond employee volunteers.

https://unity.com/partners/verified-solutions

https://unity.com/partners

upload_2022-9-14_20-12-21.png

You're just the currency they use to barter with partners, basically, in this context as it's a really compelling reason to partner with Unity if you want developers on your platform.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

This is a lazy justification and you know it. Unity on MacOS, as a developer, is an absolute shambles compared to using it on Windows, and that's a huge reason as to why a lot of developers will make iOS games in Windows and then shore them up in MacOS almost explicitly for testing and deployment. When I say "support" I'm also talking about the support that you should be getting as a Pro customer, nothing more.

Okay, so? I'm not talking about Open XR, I'm talking about Unity's support of their own editor on MacOS.

I didn't say anything about Linux either.

Martin_H, PutridEx and Muckel like this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yeah well, same answer. Not a partner, but mobile is important to Unity. Apple is part of the problem though.

11. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

There's a reason for that: market share. And relative market share of OS for the type of software you're making. Film editing on Mac? Hell yeah. Desktop or console game development on a Mac? You gotta be kidding me. :p

12. Muckel

Muckel

one thing i'll forgot to tell...
    here where i'm living is the cost for gas and electricity more than double now...
    everything cost much more now...
    we as small indy dev's have to choose now which tool we use because of cost..
    i'll did and do 90% of my stuff with the adobe suite that i'll also have to pay...
    Unity3d was just fill the gap for demo 3D stuff on mobile and mac...
    never made a dime with it but loved the pro features just to play with and make some great visuals for fun...
    little games too but just for fun and friends...
    i'll really miss a indy dev offer...
    now i'll will use Adobe Animate & After Effects for those jobs..
    also multi platform...
    M.

13. neginfinity

neginfinity

There's no point in paying for pro/plus tier unless you no longer fit into income bracket. Free/Personal is still available and mostly has t he same features.

Ryiah, Socrates and hippocoder like this.
  14. Henrarz

Henrarz

Unity can't support consoles on macOS as literally every single console (and cloud platform like Stadia) supports Windows only development pipeline. You won't be able to build a Switch game from Linux, either.

And neither switching to Unreal would help, this is beyond what engine developers can do.

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yep! And AFAIK bootcamp doesn't work any more. Part of the problem is Apple.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Have you been using an old release this entire time? Unity Personal has had the same features as Pro for years.

Noisecrime, Luemus and hippocoder like this.
  17. Martin_H

Martin_H

Check out if maybe the free version of Davinci Resolve or Blender would be good alternatives to the Adobe subscription.