Search Unity

Unity3D saving data to ICloud

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by zaher_it, Oct 6, 2016.

1. zaher_it

zaher_it

Hello.

I am working on game project using Unity3D and I want to save (string or binary no problem) to icloud. I need it to implement game progress synchronization. I searched the web but I couldn't find a solution. I used google play services cloud and it was very easy to use. But when I began with data upload and download, I didn't know what to do.
    Any helps :)

Thanks

2. andymads

andymads

Prime31 has an iCloud plugin.

3. zaher_it

zaher_it

Thanks. I am looking for plugins.
    But I wonder if there is a solution like saving to google cloud. Simple and without plugins

4. Kujo87

Kujo87

5. Stamblew

Stamblew

Any luck with iOS cloud storage? Google Play Games Service has their own solution, yet Apple has not provided anything like that so far =/

6. shadowfork

shadowfork

Have you looked at this plugin:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...ross-platform-native-plugins-ultra-pack-31086

Particularly the cloud services. It has iCloud (iOS) and SavedGames (Android) support.

Haven't tried it myself but I'm planning to use it on my next project.
    Let us know how it goes.

7. DanarKayfi

DanarKayfi

I have been searching about the same thing! Any luck?

8. zaher_it

zaher_it

We used a plugin from the asset store

9. shadowfork

shadowfork

Which one did you go with exactly?

10. juanpbol

juanpbol

Just wow... at least share the solution if you have found it. I mean, you came asking for help and yet you can't even provide the name of the plugin you used. I am actually researching on this same issue, without any luck so far.

Tanek likes this.
  11. Tanek

Tanek

Anyone is willing to share anything useful about this topic?
    It just looks like that there is no documentation at all and no plugin from Apple for Unity integration, how am I supposed to make this work?
    I am of course willing to evaluate to use an asset store plugin if someone shares his/hers experience with it and if it can save me time but I don't want to use it as a "black box" without knowing what it does and knowing that with the proper plugin or documentation I could probably implement it by myself (as I did with Google Play Games integration for instance).

Garrettec likes this.
  12. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Unity Technologies

Did you check out the reviews for the mentioned asset? Good reviews for the most part. I often write the author to confirm the level of service, etc.

13. Tanek

Tanek

Hi @JeffDUnity3D , thank you very much for your response.

I checked the asset and yes, it's clearly a good asset.
    What bothers me is that there is no official Apple plugin for this integration and I don't want to use external assets as a "black box": I am an experienced developer and I'd like to understand how it works and what kind of integration it is using (surely native code from what I am discovering in these days).
    I know that the first part of my sentence probably should be taken to another "interested party", but IMHO it's very strange that there is no "official" way of integrating these key features.

Garrettec likes this.
  14. Garrettec

Garrettec

There are a lot of assets with cloud save functions, but all of them are multipurpose overloaded with tons of stuff and libraries. And what we (most of the developers) need is simple plugin for cloud saves. I've tried the only lightweight solution I found Play Game & Game Center Integration yesterday and it occurred that this is just a fraud, there is no Cloud Save inside as declared.

Zimbres and Tanek like this.
  15. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

I'm currently on the asset store and I see 10 different "Super Mobile Ultra Mega Shiny Pack". They all do the same thing and they all cost the same but, guaranteed, the one I choose will have some showstopper bug or not actually have the one thing I was looking for.

Looking for assets on the store is a frustrating experience. It feels like a flea market.

Zimbres and Tanek like this.
  16. Stamblew

Stamblew

Please, could you, at least, provide the name of the plugin you are currently using for this purpose?

17. wtfkeklol

wtfkeklol

Still looking for a proper solution.
    Still no luck.

18. Garrettec

Garrettec

True... What we did - we purchased one of the "big packages" (Easy Mobile, to be precise), and took library responsible for game services and code "talking" to this library. Slightly adjusted it to our needs and that's it. But I don't like this solution, because when cloud saves will change on Apple or Google side - probably we will need to reimplement it... Still better then nothing...

19. CSmochinaArnia

CSmochinaArnia

Well, for iOS, whatever is saved in the persistendatapath, is automatically synced to iCloud. if the user has an iCloud account setup. Unless the file is marked with UnityEngine.iOS.Device.SetNoBackupFlag

CasualT_Bossfight and Garrettec like this.
  20. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Gooren, Zimbres and Garrettec like this.
  21. Gooren

Gooren

Amazing work, thanks for sharing it!
    One question though - how did you handle the entitlements for the iCloud capability and the iCloud container?
    Could you please send me an example 'entitlements.xml' file or something like that?
    Or did you use the ProjectCapabilityManager unity API for that? If so, how?

Sorry for the intense questioning :)

22. Dark-1-Games

Dark-1-Games

Hey,
    Sorry for not responding sooner, here's a sample entitlements file:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    2. <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    3. <plist version="1.0">
    4. <dict>
    5.     <key>com.apple.developer.icloud-container-identifiers</key>
    6.     <array>
    7.         <string>iCloud.$(CFBundleIdentifier)</string>
    8.     </array>
    9.     <key>com.apple.developer.icloud-services</key>
    10.     <array>
    11.         <string>CloudDocuments</string>
    12.     </array>
    13.     <key>com.apple.developer.ubiquity-container-identifiers</key>
    14.     <array>
    15.         <string>iCloud.$(CFBundleIdentifier)</string>
    16.     </array>
    17. </dict>
    18. </plist>
    Handling entitlements is out of scope for this project, but is something we should totally do on DarkCPS (The project GKNativeExtensions was made for).

Gooren likes this.
  23. sachinmok

sachinmok

I am working on game project using Unity3D and I want to save data to icloud. I need it to implement game progress synchronization. I searched the web but I couldn't find a solution.
    i cloud tutorial for unity

unityunity