Search Unity

Unity3D in Websites with javascript node frameworks support

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by bginin2this, Mar 23, 2019.

1. bginin2this

bginin2this

Hello Comunity !!!

I have been using 3D javascript libraries in the past, most Java based, it was cool, but i always wanted to try Unity. I develop also Webpages, most of them in node.js, you know React.js, Three.js, etc. The thing is that i want to do all that and also games in Unity, is it posible to implement node based frameworks in Unity ? or a way they could co-exist ? I like a lot C# but i rather like javascript becouse all the "frameworks" , etc i devolop are in javascript. Could anyone point me in the right direction here ? I have been looking for help related to Web Development in Unity but i cant find anything, though im a total beginer. I would love to make a Website with 3D content mixed with normal text, information and images. Thank you in advance.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity does not come bundled with Node.js support, and the javascript based UnityScript support was dropped from the engine (hardly anyone was using it). Currently only C# is supported. You're not going to find much info on web dev in Unity because it is not designed to be a web dev tool, though you can produce WebGL builds from Unity.

bginin2this likes this.
  3. bginin2this

bginin2this

Oh now i got it, you develop in C#, which is a more "solid" language, and then just buld it to WebGL, cool, that is why eveyone is using C#, really who wants to use javascript for high level graphics, now i understand, thank you @Joe-Censored !!!

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It is not that C# is any more or less solid. It is just the language Unity chose for their game engine. For most of Unity's history Unity did in fact support a variant of Javascript called UnityScript alongside C#, and it was just as "solid."

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

This. Unity's JavaScript-variant (and the Python-variant known as Boo) wasn't stripped out because it was less solid. It was stripped out because Unity only wanted to maintain one language and C# just happened to be the most popular one.

To my knowledge there was little to no performance difference between C# and Unity's JavaScript. Under the hood both languages used the same framework and the same bytecode language. Ultimately it wasn't holding anyone back.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Joe-Censored likes this.