Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity3D getting Visual Scripting in 2019.2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HeadClot88, Nov 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

When did the authors announced that?

2. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I agree but we already have that going. What new features would Unity's solution bring?

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Back when the announcement was made for Unity's VS, Bolt announced their plans for their next major revision with the statement that Unity's VS "is so different from ours". Plus their list of features is typical for a normal non-DOTS scripting approach.

https://ludiq.io/blog/unity-vs

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    BYD likes this.
  4. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I also use playmaker and I love it, but still my hope is that if unity makes a solution there will be more assets shared, and we will all use the same toolset.
    you see the same with shader-graph, people can share graphs and build on top of them.

And when sharing you know that users will have to tools available, with playmaker you don't know if someone has the tool or not.

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

By this logic, why add anything to the editor?

6. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Yeah but that's only true on paper. The shadergraph for example makes shaders for the new render pipeline and since it's not finished, some users like me are still months away when it comes to have a product we can use so we end up buying an equivalent on the asset store anyways.

That's why I have a problem with these features. They are more useful to Unity so they can show they compete with Ureal Engine than they are to me as user who need finished relevant products and not a showcase of something I already bought on the asset store.

And I agree, it's inconvenient to use a tool like Playmaker knowing other users need to have it in order to work with them, but you can always buy an additional licence and it will work today, not "maybe in three months". If unity was offering services with that level of reliability and reactivity, I'd support this initiative, but that's far from being my experience. So I'd rather have them concentrate their efforts on finishing what they already started.

7. elbows

elbows

I do have cause for concern at times in regards to Unity and the 'final mile' in relation to various systems, but that doesnt usually get in the way of my appreciation for why they continue to plan other systems and features. I'm really looking forward to the evolution of DOTS and the visual scripting side of it is a useful aspect of that in my book.

Yes resources are finite but the picture is complcated and there are many different teams and divisions. They could cancel many improtant and planned systems without it improving the situation with other systems at all, so I dont tend to complain about a focus on new things from them at all.

8. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

I can't write code like this. It requires too much effort, because the autoformatter kicks in and constantly ruins this carefully prepared mess into a perfectly readable complete beauty. As a lazy developer I don't format my code myself, let the tools do it.

9. cmilian

cmilian

Has anyone posted examples of how to use Unity Visual Script. Tutorials, Etc?

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's not even available in preview yet, so no.

11. cmilian

cmilian

I thought it was releasing in Alpha 2019.2

JamesArndt likes this.
  12. chrisk

chrisk

UE has a really nice VS tool called Blueprint. It's got tons of features but I doubt if Unity can come up with better tools then Blueprint.

Yet, look what happened to Unreal Marketplace. It's littered with unmanageable Blueprint assets.

I try to use Blueprint but one line of code can turn into many blocks of nodes and it can easily become unmanageable, not to mention you will spend lots of time reorganizing wires rather than working.

It's a good tool for prototyping and procedural stuff like particles. It is not for coding. Unreal does not recommend using BP to replace coding.

And Unity already has VS tools for procedural stuff and if the new tool is meant to serve programming ECS, I'm strongly against it. It will never fulfill its purpose. They better spend time making tools to make ECS programming easier.

DungDajHjep likes this.
  13. LostIllusionStudios

LostIllusionStudios

The author have to rename his thread, visual scripting release in preview in 2020.1 if i remember.

soleron likes this.
  14. Regen_erate

Regen_erate

Exactly like UE4 Blueprint.

15. ErnShu

ErnShu

is this real? I don't want to buy some asset with visual scripting and then have this come out in 2019 summer lol.

16. No. It's postponed to 2020.1.
    hub.PNG

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, but there are a couple things to note about it. One, it's being delayed until at least Unity 2020.1. Two, originally there was going to be support for both MonoBehaviours and ECS, but they've since decided that it will be only ECS.

18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I was never under impression that the original plan was to support ECS at all.

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

And people will think they can avoid learning to code because they have visual scripting...

dadude123 and Kiwasi like this.
  20. That's my biggest problem with visual scripting.

21. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Visual scripting still requires you to still building logic the right way, it just abstracts some things and makes it harder to forget what you can do as visual scripting graph systems are usually better in suggesting what you can do next than say, intellisense on code.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  22. Ryiah

Ryiah

I meant the plan before the current plan, or essentially when they came up with details that were more than just them saying that they wanted to build their own visual scripting system. :p

23. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Will this work at runtime, IE can users create there own scripts for games at runtime

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

Nobody knows, but I'm willing to put money on "no" because that would not actually work on a lot of platforms.

dadude123 likes this.
  25. konsic

konsic

Will knowledge of Unreal's blueprints logic, help me with this Unity's VS?

26. Probably not, but we don't know anything substantial yet. I personally think that it will be somewhat similar to the shader-graph things. So half-puzzle and half-graph.

I don't think so, but we may be wrong, we don't know too much about it. It will be ECS-based, Burst and Job-enabled. In theory. Will see.

Well, the problem is that a lot of people will start to "code" without any clue how things work. (This is the point having a visual scripting system at the first place)
    My real concern is the Asset Store and its relationship with these "advanced" piece of codes. I mean hopefully they will have none.

27. Mehrdad155

Mehrdad155

Unity 2019.2 beta released and isn't any VS integrate yet.

28. Writeonly? :) See my post above.

Mehrdad155 likes this.
  29. Mehrdad155

Mehrdad155

Ah sorry. I droped your post. Thanks anyway

30. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

This reminds me of the old jass editor for warcraft3, any influence?

31. ans_unity

ans_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone,

Our first Visual Scripting experimental drop is now available in the DOTS Visual Scripting discussion.
    Note that this is a very preliminary build and as such is quite incomplete.

I invite you all to try it and share your feedback on the DOTS forum.

Amon, zhuchun, Laicasaane and 9 others like this.
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Amon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.