Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity3D Editing mecanim characters through 3ds max and then importing back,causes PROBLEMS!

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Claymore, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Hello smart people! Gonna make this quick so you can understand.
    1. So I have made Mecanim character in Unity (all works perfect).
    2. I want to edit/update my character model through 3ds max and then export it from 3ds max back into unity3d again (You know so that i can replace my old character with the new one i made/upgraded in 3ds max :) )
    3. So i have edited my character model and have exported (replaced) back in unity3d.
    4. So now mecanim character should have new mesh and everything i had edited in 3ds max........

But the mesh and structure of my character has completely changed,its F messed up (deformed sizes,mesh looks different and when placing character in scene it somehow dissapears,basically its all F UP!)

So i want to know,is there another way to edit MECANIM character mesh (maybe detach some parts from mesh,if needed) in Modelling studio (3ds max..) and then Successfully import model back in UNITY3D engine without any PROBLEMS.

You smart people are my only hope.
    Please if you can,help me out,i will appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm having a hard time understanding what you wrote there, but I think I've had the same problem before.

Changing the bone hierarchy of your animated model will irreversibly break things and there's no way around that, since making a prefab out of a skinned mesh and its bones (or simply placing the mesh in a scene) will always save the old hierarchy as a part of the prefab or the scene.
    All you can do is remake the prefab from scratch. Place the broken prefab and the new mesh in the same scene, and copy over the necessary components one by one; then delete the old object and update any loose references manually.

Keep in mind that simply editing bone positions, weights and the meshes themselves won't necessarily break your prefabs in this way since the object hierarchy isn't changed by any of these operations.

3. Claymore

Claymore

Hi Man,thanks for reply and also thanks for your idea :). Also i actually know these things about bones and everything... but im talking about mesh here,everytime i edit my character model Mesh,you know make him fatter or bigger even detach his head as a separate object (so that i can do stuff in unity3d) and when i import it into unity3d (by replacing the old MESH) then S*** happens :(

Thanks for help,if you can help me more on this topic let me know,thanks :)

4. Claymore

Claymore

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?!?!

5. Dantus

Dantus

Did you make sure the weight painting of the mesh is preserved?

If you could share some screenshots, it would be far easier to help.
    Show a screenshot of the working model in 3ds max and Unity and then how the modified one looks in both applications.