Search Unity

Unity3D Button.OnCllick always calls the first script from 1 object.

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by patrick-noten, Mar 17, 2017.

1. patrick-noten

patrick-noten

So basically the issue here is that I have a button with 1 OnClick method linked to a script on TestButtonObject.

TestButtonObject contains 2 scripts, both of the same type "TestButtonScript" for example.

TestButtonScript contains 1 method "Get" that returns an integer supplied in the Inspector where both TestButtonScript scripts have a different nr.

So in my button I have TestButtonScript.Get(), where it is linked to TestButtonObject. For some reason it always calls the first script, is there no way to have a button.OnClick or any other unityevent to differentiate between the script instances?

It calls the first script even if I drag the 2e script into the button OnClick instead.

Unity version used is 5.4.1f1.

Here is an image of the setup:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  2. liortal

liortal

I don't think this is possible. The onClick event persists enough information it needs to later on run the code in the event handler. It probably saves the object's identity, component and method it needs to run.

According to that info, there's no way to determine which of the 2 components you want to invoke the event on.

The best thing to do is to work around the issue by placing the TestButtonScript on different gam objects, if possible.

3. patrick-noten

patrick-noten

After some tinkering with it some more I think this is indeed the only way, thanks!

4. cdarklock

cdarklock

I messed around with this a little, and I concur. Not sure whether we should consider this a bug or not.

5. methos5k

methos5k

It doesn't sound like a bug, because it references an instance and when you link it's just taking the first instance of the matching type. Since the OP adjusted his design and is satisfied, I guess there's no need to dig further, but there were probably other ways of implementing the task, too :)