Search Unity

Unity3d 5.3 Not working

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tatsumi-Kun, Dec 8, 2015.

1. BlackBirdActual

BlackBirdActual

hey guys i have Unity 5.5 and im getting the same blank screen issue , but it work fine last week?

2. Ofer-Canfi

Ofer-Canfi

Cheers! this helped!

3. gulatihardik10

gulatihardik10

I m really thankyou to give this advice. i have already that dist folder and so i deleted that and that worked for me as unity re created it....thanks :)

4. Socrates6

Socrates6

I hope this will help someone if I explain what my problem was here. So Unity uses a login screen similar to that of a html website. During the install this should have unpacked (or more likely copied from some repository during the unpacking phase) I'm not sure what happened here but I was simply missing some of the files to my login screen (website) and just copied them from another source. In my case I:

- Opened my "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages\node_modules\unity-editor-home\dist" and saw the "index.html" file at which the login page builds.

- If you know anything about website design, you would know that a website of this caliber typically has a .css and a .js accompanying it.

- When I opened the "index.html" in my favorite editor I saw that the site calls for "assets/unity-editor-home.js" which was missing in my file structure.

- I simply found a different copy of unity I had on a different computer and used that "assets/unity-editor-home.js".

- For the record this is simply the login screen, it is not really vital for the operation of the entire program therefor having (almost) any proper "/dist" (website) should work here.

- So check your "/dist" folder, there should be an assets folder and an "index.html".

- Next check the assets folder, there should be icons, img, and templates folders which are mildly vital, however my site will not run at all since I did not have the "unity-editor-home.js". Lastly the style sheet "unity-editor-home-home-light.css" is also someone vital.

So check your file structure and see if you had the same problem I did. I hope this helps!

yoshitakaros likes this.
  5. Socrates6

Socrates6

One more thing to note, for those of you searching for your "Appdata" folder it is important that you select the Admin's folder and go into folder settings and click to "view hidden files". By default I believe "Appdata" is hidden (the idea here is that if you don't know what you are doing you wont mess up your programs, however it becomes moot rather quickly).

6. Jeff_Blumenthal

Jeff_Blumenthal

I deleted all the unity folders in Local, LocalLow, Roaming and it worked. Thank you for pointing me there @sangam

7. Demkeys

Demkeys

Had a similar issue with Unity 2017.1.0f3. When I try to start up Unity without an internet connection, I get the welcome screen, then it would say 'No network connection', I click Work offline, and then the window is just blank. On the other hand if I start up Unity WITH an internet connection, after the welcome screen it shows me the list of recent projects. @sangam 's solution worked for me.
    Fixed the issue by deleting the unity folder from:
    • C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Local/
    • C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/
    • and C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/
    After that when I started up Unity without an internet connection, it worked just fine.

8. arefjoan

arefjoan

hey i got this error when i click my project ,just update from unity 5 to unity 2017 1.0 what the mono mean?? picture.png

9. Anti51

Anti51

@Socrates6 solution worked for me.

Took the "unity-editor-home.js" from old 5.6.1 editors folder "AppData\Roaming\Unity\Packages\node_modules\unity-editor-home\dist\assets\" and put in the same folder of 2017.1.0f3 editor to get it to work.

Everything else didnt work.

I had this problem with a black and sometimes white startup screen since i upgraded to pro on 2017.1.0f3 on my pc behind a firewall. It worked either when unity is let through the firewall or when i unplug/deactivate all internet connections, but not with active connection behind external firewall (secured network at workplace).

10. Risal-Fajar

Risal-Fajar

In my case it was an antivirus problem (I'm using Avast Free), adding Unity to exclusion list had fixed the problem. Hope it helps.

11. Diablo85

Diablo85

I resolved opening Unity Launcher (5.4.1) in offline (disabling network card or unplug ethernet cable from pc), closing Unity Launcher, riactivate online network and reopen Unity online as usual. Hope it helps

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. UglyBull

UglyBull

13. rh3d78

rh3d78

How can this possibly STILL be an issue if so many people are having the same problem? Can we please get this fixed.

I tried @Demkeys but it actually made it worse, now my login screen wont show up where before it was just the main Unity project window. I'm using unity 2017.1.0f3

here is my screen... seriously frustrating!!!!!
    upload_2017-11-18_21-35-50.png

14. Serzath

Serzath

2 issues that randomly happen

1: black startup screen.
    2: missing/corrupt files openrl.dll, freeimage.dll for example

I installed unity and it worked fine. Made a testproject and entered unity. Closed it without doing anything. Next day i startup my pc happy to start exploring the world of game programming. Sadly i get the error that 2 errors about corrupt dll's....so deinstall...install unity working fine and starting to work on a tutorial "Roll a ball". Happy with the working demo i stop for the night.

Next day i start up and get welcomed by the black screen on startup. Looking through the forums i go to the user folder but it has the node folder and dist folder in it.
    removed my project folder to see if that helped.

still black screen

oke...deinstall and install again.

jup missing/corrupt freeimage.dll.....

deinstall...install......working.

next day

corrupt freeimage.dll

i get frustrated now :(

15. ColdMud

ColdMud

I went to
    C:/Users/NAME/AppData/Roaming/Unity/Cashes/
    Deleted the one file that was in there. and BOOM,
    It's all good now. Hope this helps someone else.
    Back to work! Cheers!

16. oscar_zweig

oscar_zweig

For anyone else that comes here looking for a way to fix this. The problem used to be an issue with NPM. Just turn off windows defender real-time protection, Malwarebytes real time protection etc.. Really any antivirus software is going to interrupt some file writing that NPM needs to do for Unity to start up correctly.

For those of you who are curious, this is the step that is being blocked by your antivirus. You can find this in the npm-debug file
    Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, rename "..." -> "..."

The solution above is having you manually place the npm packages where they're supposed to go. To be fair a lot of npm packages run into this same problem but Unity should definitely update the version of NPM that they're using.

dweeh likes this.
  17. dweeh

dweeh

18. HellSpont

HellSpont

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  19. hudsonferreira2501

hudsonferreira2501

Worked here, thank you ,i have to exclude all content from unityeditor-cloud-hub and unity-editor-home before extract the tgz

20. Westland

Westland

WIndows 11 here, opened into black when trying to do 'Safe Mode' - choosing 'Ignore' instead at the dialog box of safe mode solved it. Kuriousan