Search Unity

Unity3D 2019.4.13f1 in Linux: No other build support than Linux, despite having installed them.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Bl4ckh34d, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Hi dear community.

I am running Unity3D 2019.4.13f1 on Linux (Ubuntu).
    Despite having installed all build supports for my target platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac), as well as having reinstalled the Editor several times now AND despite starting the editor from the Hub with Windows as my target platform, I only get Linux as single build option for target platform. I am at my wits end here.

upload_2020-10-29_16-17-9.png

upload_2020-10-29_16-19-34.png
    upload_2020-10-29_16-20-0.png

Edit: I realized that I get an error code when compiling the scripts for a new build environment. Could this be the reason I only see the Linux Build Platform option?

I have never changed anything on the build files of Mono in this regard. And I have no idea if this error actually is prohibiting me from using other build platform settings but I pretty much guess so.
    upload_2020-10-29_16-29-37.png

ArgumentException: Getting control 5's position in a group with only 5 controls when doing repaint
    Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/LayoutGroup.cs:122)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (System.Single minWidth, System.Single maxWidth, System.Single minHeight, System.Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:464)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (System.Single minWidth, System.Single maxWidth, System.Single minHeight, System.Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:453)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.GetToggleRect (System.Boolean hasLabel, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:9710)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.Toggle (UnityEngine.GUIContent label, System.Boolean value, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7811)
    DesktopStandaloneBuildWindowExtension.ShowPlatformBuildOptions () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/DesktopStandaloneBuildWindowExtension.cs:186)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.ShowBuildTargetSettings () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:698)

Additional Note: /home/bokken/ is not my home folder. Must be from the coder who wrote the Linux support. Not why the error message is referencing to those folders that do not exist on my system. It seems like the Linux support is still in its infancy.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  2. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Nobody any ideas?

Alright, will try Unity3D 2020.1.11f1 and see if that is of any help.
    Maybe there is a problem with Unity, maybe with .Net, maybe with Mono or maybe Santa Clause but as a hobby Game Dev I do neither have the time nor the motivation to A: Change my OS or B: Investigate further into the inner workings of the Unity Editor in Linux.

3. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Installed the current version of Mono for my Linux Distribution (Ubuntu 20.04).
    No luck either.
    Same damn error as stated in the inital post. I never even touched the damn GUI. I updated to latest Mono, now I have no more ideas what else to do here. I guess the only way is to run a VM with Windows, install Unity there, import my project and build it from there - wish I could invest the time I am wasting for a simple build for Windows into the making of the game.

DiamondEater likes this.
  4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Unity doesn't depend on system Mono.

Do you get the same error in Unity 2020.1.11f1? Can you try switching the editor to the default layout?

Bl4ckh34d likes this.
  5. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Okay, I will try switching to the default Layout.
    I tried running the project in 2020, but was drowned in error messages and gave up immediately. I will get back in a couple of minutes with an edit of this post concerning the Layout change. Thank you for your swift reply!

Weird thing is, I never really changed much concerning the Layout. Only switched to Wide screen preset.

Just now when restoring to factory, I got the error

Failed to destroy editor windows: #1
    FallbackEditorWindow
    UnityEditor.<>c:<ReloadWindowLayoutMenu>b__28_0() (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs:224)

EDIT:

ArgumentException: Getting control 5's position in a group with only 5 controls when doing repaint
    Aborting
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutGroup.GetNext () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/LayoutGroup.cs:122)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.DoGetRect (System.Single minWidth, System.Single maxWidth, System.Single minHeight, System.Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:464)
    UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.GetRect (System.Single minWidth, System.Single maxWidth, System.Single minHeight, System.Single maxHeight, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUILayoutUtility.cs:453)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.GetToggleRect (System.Boolean hasLabel, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:9710)
    UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.Toggle (UnityEngine.GUIContent label, System.Boolean value, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7811)
    DesktopStandaloneBuildWindowExtension.ShowPlatformBuildOptions () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/DesktopStandaloneBuildWindowExtension.cs:186)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.ShowBuildTargetSettings () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:698)
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.OnGUI () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:386)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:381)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:375)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OldOnGUI () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:151)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:293)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:508)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoIMGUIRepaint () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:463)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChainCommand.ExecuteNonDrawMesh (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.DrawParams drawParams, System.Boolean straightY, System.Single pixelsPerPoint, System.Exception& immediateException) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderers.cs:107)
    Rethrow as ImmediateModeException
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChain.Render (UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection, UnityEngine.UIElements.PanelClearFlags clearFlags) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRChainBuilder.cs:392)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.DrawChain (UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:68)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.Update () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:57)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTreePhase (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdatePhase phase) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualTreeUpdater.cs:84)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.UpdateForRepaint () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:721)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:747)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.bindings.cs:387)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.bindings.cs:194)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:197)

Running Unity3D 2019 with target platform Windows in Ubuntu now returns the above error AFTER opening the Build Settings in the Editor.
    Layout is Restored to Factory Settings and no initial Error after Start-up.
    Only Build Setting for Target Platform within the Editor is Linux again.
    Starting the Editor from the Hub with Linux as target platform returns no Errors.

6. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

After starting Unity with Windows as target platform, I get this initial notification in the console:

The editor layout could not be fully loaded, this can happen when the layout contains EditorWindows not available in this project
    UnityEditor.WindowLayout:LoadDefaultWindowPreferences() (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/WindowLayout.cs:40)

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Do these things happen only in your project, or does it also happen on your machine if you create a brand new project?

8. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

When creating a new project, saving it and then starting the project with target platform set for Windows in Unity Hub:

Aborting
    UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow.OnGUI () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPlayerWindow.cs:386)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:381)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:375)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OldOnGUI () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:151)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:293)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:508)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoIMGUIRepaint () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:463)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChainCommand.ExecuteNonDrawMesh (UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.DrawParams drawParams, System.Boolean straightY, System.Single pixelsPerPoint, System.Exception& immediateException) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRenderer/UIRenderers.cs:107)
    Rethrow as ImmediateModeException
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIR.RenderChain.Render (UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection, UnityEngine.UIElements.PanelClearFlags clearFlags) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRChainBuilder.cs:392)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.DrawChain (UnityEngine.Rect viewport, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 projection) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:68)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIRRepaintUpdater.Update () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Renderer/UIRRepaintUpdater.cs:57)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdater.UpdateVisualTreePhase (UnityEngine.UIElements.VisualTreeUpdatePhase phase) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/VisualTreeUpdater.cs:84)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.UpdateForRepaint () (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:721)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.Panel.Repaint (UnityEngine.Event e) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/Panel.cs:747)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.bindings.cs:387)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.bindings.cs:194)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at /home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:197)

So basically the same for new projects as well as my project.
    Layout of Editor still set to Factory Settings. The install of the editor is new as well.

9. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

And who is that "bokken" from "/home/bokken/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/..."?
    My user name is completely different. How can Unity even find those files? Is that folder hirarchy compressed in some file in the unity editors folder? I searched for these UIElement files but couldn't find them.

10. Deozaan

Deozaan

The "bokken" path is from the computer where the Unity Editor for Linux was compiled. Not your computer.

11. ixoekea

ixoekea

I have the same issue here. Following!

12. ixoekea

ixoekea

I am running 2019. I tried the 2020 version. It happens on existing projects and new projects. I am also having an issue with black screens after 5 minutes. OS- Ubuntu

13. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

@Tautvydas-Zilys
    Any ideas concerning the GUI error messages I get and how they could prohibit me from building for any other platform than Linux? I have no bloody idea how the Editors Gui and the building options are even connected in a way that only Linux would be available, it just doesnt make any sense.

14. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Still asking around what this could mean. I've not seen errors like these before.

Bl4ckh34d likes this.
  15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could you by any chance go to the directory Unity is installed, and list all the files under <EditorInstallDir>/Data/PlaybackEngines?

Bl4ckh34d likes this.
  16. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

No idea why, but the MacStandaloneSupport and WindowsStandaloneSupport folders are empty.
    upload_2020-11-4_13-21-41.png

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Damn, that looks like they weren't installed correctly. Can you show me what the hub "Installs" tab looks like as well as its "Add components" dialog?

Bl4ckh34d likes this.
  18. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

20. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Alright, but how do I install pkg files? When opening them, it opens them as archive. Should I extract them somewhere specific?

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah, to those folders that were empty.

22. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@Bl4ckh34d. let me pull up some instructions for you. On Linux, .pkg files are not the most straightforward things to work with.

Bl4ckh34d likes this.
  23. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

upload_2020-11-7_3-30-42.png
    Despite of having extracted the pkg into its respective folder, I still get the GUI error and only the Linux Build Option.

24. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The folder structure should have looked like the one in "LinuxStandaloneSupport". Let's wait for Kevin to give you some instructions on how to work with PKG files.

In the meantime, can you try installing a different version of Unity (without touching your current installation) from the hub with the Windows component, and see if the folder ends up being empty in that case too? If it is, can you upload logs from "~/.config/UnityHub/logs"?

25. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Sorry for the delay. Here's a sample script for decompressing to the correct location on Ubuntu. Replace the blue with your corresponding Unity install path. Replace the orange with wherever you downloaded the corresponding pkg file.

# Install bsdtar
    sudo apt install -y bsdtar

# Extract the mac playback engines
    MAC_PLAYBACK_ENGINES=~/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.14f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/MacStandaloneSupport; mkdir $MAC_PLAYBACK_ENGINES && bsdtar -xOf ~/Downloads/UnitySetup-Mac-Mono-Support-for-Editor-2019.4.13f1.pkg TargetSupport.pkg.tmp/Payload | bsdtar -C $MAC_PLAYBACK_ENGINES -xf -

#extract the windows playback engines
    WIN_PLAYBACK_ENGINES=~/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.14f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/WindowsStandaloneSupport; mkdir $WIN_PLAYBACK_ENGINES && bsdtar -xOf ~/Downloads/UnitySetup-Windows-Mono-Support-for-Editor-2019.4.13f1.pkg TargetSupport.pkg.tmp/Payload | bsdtar -C $WIN_PLAYBACK_ENGINES -xf -

Bl4ckh34d likes this.
  26. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Alright, mine looks like:

MAC_PLAYBACK_ENGINES=/media/gottimperator/Volume/Unity/Unity Editor/2019.4.13f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/MacStandaloneSupport; mkdir $MAC_PLAYBACK_ENGINES && bsdtar -xOf /media/gottimperator/Volume/Unity/UnitySetup-Mac-Mono-Support-for-Editor-2019.4.13f1.pkg TargetSupport.pkg.tmp/Payload | bsdtar -C $MAC_PLAYBACK_ENGINES -xf -

But the Terminal got some problem with the space between "Unity Editor" in the path. I tried 'Unity\ Editor', .../"Unity Editor"/..., 'Unity*Editor, Unity?Editor but it still doesnt recognize the whole path and throws an error folder not found.
    As long as I remember, I could substitute spaces in folder names and paths with a simple back slash or putting them in double quotes. I start feeling like a bloody amateur...

27. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Okay, so I grew impatient with the path problem and just renamed the folder to UnityEditor.

The command for Mac worked instantly and now I have the build option for Mac in the Editor, so it seems to work. Thank you very much for that, Kevin!

But when I do the same for windows, I get the following error:

bsdtar: Error opening archive: Failed to open '-'
    TargetSupport.pkg.tmp/Payload: Write error
    bsdtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors.

My command looked like this:

WIN_PLAYBACK_ENGINES=/media/gottimperator/Volume/Unity/UnityEditor/2019.4.13f1/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/WindowsStandaloneSupport; mkdir $WIN_PLAYBACK_ENGINES && bsdtar -xOf /media/gottimperator/Volume/Unity/UnitySetup-Windows-Mono-Support-for-Editor-2019.4.13f1.pkg TargetSupport.pkg.tmp/Payload | bsdtar -C $WIN_PLAYBACK_ENGINES -xf -

I tried adding a sudo before the two bsdtar commands, but still got the same error.
    The pkg files have read, write and execute access for all users, so the rights shouldn't be the problem.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  28. Bl4ckh34d

Bl4ckh34d

Final Update:

Okay, weirdly the exctraction and installation of the second playback engine (windows) worked after a reboot without any errors, so now all playback engines are running fine. Thank you so much for your help! I still wonder why it didn't correctly install them from the beginning, but at least now it works :)
    <3

29. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Glad to hear it! Sorry for the delayed response. I was taking a vacation from COVID cabin fever.