Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity3d 20% discount question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by yuriythebest, Sep 22, 2011.

1. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi! can anyone clarify- does this offer mean that I need to buy 2 or more licenses or no more than 2 licences? so If I want to buy 1 license does it apply?

I'd especially appreciate answers from the Unity Dev/marketing team- I want to get 1 license.

2. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I think that means you only get the discount up to 2 licenses per order?

3. vdek

vdek

Why don't you just try it to the point before you put your order in :p

I just did, it works on a single license as well. Thanks for pointing this out, didn't know about this rebate! I was just about to purcahse Unity iOS.

4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Limited to two licenses means you can't order more than two licenses with this discount.

5. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Don't suppose I could use the discount twice on a single license though.... *cheeky grin* ;D

I'd buy pro if I could.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I got a 20% discount but forgot to enter my VAT / company information so I got charged 20% again back when I bought it :)

7. OldRod

OldRod

Can we get the discount if we just bought Unity right before this offer started? :(

8. vdek

vdek

I think you might be better off emailing them about that.

9. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

@OldRod, if you haven't activated your new license you could always ask sales for a refund as it's not wanted/bought by mistake. Then go ahead and buy with the discount. ;-)

Note that the promo was only sent to a select group. I don't know if the code will work if your email address is not associated with the campaign.

10. vdek

vdek

It seems to be accepted for me and I'm a newbie :p

11. OldRod

OldRod

Already activated and using it... oh well, it's not the first discount I've ever missed in my life

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well I got my discount before this offer started, by asking them nicely with a decent reason. Will be buying more licenses too. I just wish I wasn't so stupid to forget the VAT stuff. I just wanted unity pro and to get on with the game :S

13. GiusCo

GiusCo

Making public the rebate coupon is a slight mistake, but I don't think UT would go too fussy about that: a sale is a sale. If numbers go wild and exceed the target, they can withdraw the offer before October 6. This is business' bread and butter.

14. joshimoo

joshimoo

So what do you guys think, is it wort it?

Questions:
    - What's the expected release date for 4.0 ?
    - When is is worth it based on Project Status (inPlanning, Started, Near Completion)?

Thanks

15. eedok

eedok

hrmm what'd you have to do to get this e-mail?

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There isn't any. Ask again next year, maybe.

--Eric

17. jashan

jashan

If you can afford it without having to sell your house ... or car ... or bike: Yes, absolutely ;-)

Eric covered that ;-)

Depends on your project. There's a lot of games that really don't need Unity Pro. If you don't need version control, you can probably wait until "near completion" unless there's certain Pro features you really need early on for some reason.

Personally, I got Unity Pro a few days after I activated the trial license and never regretted this. It's an awesome tool and it feels good to support the people that create this. But maybe ask me again when 4.0 comes out and I have to upgrade Pro, iOS Pro and Android Pro (and probably also my asset server license) ;-) ... hope they come up with a nice package deal (well, thinking about it ... upgrading to 3.0 didn't feel too bad and I think the only license I didn't have at that time was the Android one) ;-)

18. xe-cute

xe-cute

It's a shame this offer wasn't on over the Xmas period instead when some peeps have a bit more money available or persuasion power to borrow some if they still have none (or get someone else to buy it for them with the discount as a good reason). Also if peeps are short of money then than the 20% off helps them even more.

19. Tudor_n

Tudor_n

Yeah, in Europe, unless you're a registered company that 20% just about covers the VAT tax.

20. jashan

jashan

Actually, at least in Germany, all you need is a VAT-ID which you should have if you're any sort of freelancer. So, a registered company is not necessary here.

21. joshimoo

joshimoo

Thanks to the discount and the information from you guys, I am now a Unity IOS Pro owner.
    Now I have to take this stuff serious and try to make my investment back, or my wife is going to kill me. :eek::eek:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  22. BooBi

BooBi

Does the 20% off can be applied on a Unity pro + Unity IOS Pro license ? or is that just for the pro ?

23. joshimoo

joshimoo

The 20% discount can be applied to upto 2 Licenses (example pro + ios pro)

24. rstehwien

rstehwien

Unfortunately they won't extend the offer to those that purchased a few weeks ago :(

25. JanHelleman

JanHelleman

Actaully it works for 3 license types, but only on a max of 2 seats. try it at store.unity3d.com. You can enter bougus info and see that when you use just 1 seat you get 630 euro (210 euro p/licencetype) discount. I imagine the same happens on two "seats".

26. eedok

eedok

Tried to use it yesterday but the bank blocked my card, tried to use it today and it's expired, looks like I'm sticking with indy

27. GizmoBradwell

GizmoBradwell

Hehe, just bought Unity Pro with the discount too. This offer came not long after i decided i was going to buy, glad i happened to hold off. when you pay vat on the purchase with the discount it is exactly the same price, essentially vat free.

Yep, time to get serious now like you I will be making the investment back, to convince the wife it's worth it ^^

28. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

I missed this offer. How do you guys get this offer ?
    Well stick with basic until then.

29. fineartist

fineartist

I missed the discount offered a couple weeks ago, will there be another one soon?????

(just got a freelance job and want to buy but don't want to pay full price if another coupon is coming out soon)

30. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

They seem to run it every few-to-several months, as well as having done it for the 3.0 launch... I'd say it'll be awhile before we see another one, either around the release of 3.5 if it's a couple of months out still, otherwise longer. Just my completely-off-the-cusp speculation :).

31. GizmoBradwell

GizmoBradwell

Sorry you guys missed it, I got it because I had the trial a while ago and the discount email came through for the release of Unity Pro 3.4.1.

32. parnell

parnell

i'm buying it right now...so I imagine it'll go on sale tomorrow. HAHAHAHA
    B

33. GiusCo

GiusCo

Santa Claus will come again!