Search Unity

Unity3 Increased Build size?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Maph, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Maph

Maph

Hey all,

This may have been asked before, but since I couldn't find any related topics myself; I thought I'd ask it anyway.
    I recently upgraded my game from Unity iPhone 1.7 to the new Unity 3 with iPhone (basic version) and I noticed a considerable increase in the .app resulting size. Building with 1.7 gave me a .app folder that was approx 40Mb in size which still runs OK on devices older than the 3Gs, but when I build the game with U3, it's over 65MB!
    Which strikes me as way odd, as I didn't add any new assets, scripts, etc...

So has the Basic Unity engine increased that much in size, or should look in the direction of the 4.1 SDK (which I doubt, because I used it in the 1.7 builds as well) or should take a gander at my assets?
    In any case, 65Mb is pretty unacceptable; and this is freaking me out. :)

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Don't target armv6 + armv7 as each of them adds a whole build size

stripping wouldn't help here in this case

3. Maph

Maph

I'll give that a go, but that makes loads of sense. Cheers!

4. groovfruit

groovfruit

Don't you have to support armv6 7 so that it can run on 3G too? (not just 3GS and 4)

5. mudloop

mudloop

Nope. Arm6 will work on everything. But arm67 is more optimized on arm7 devices.

6. rocket5tim

rocket5tim

Thanks @dreamora and @Smag! Building for Arm6 knocked 20mb off my .app size. But the .app is still about 10mb bigger than it was when build with Unity iPhone 1.7. Need to try to figure out where that extra 10mb came from.