Search Unity

Bug Unity2022.2.21f1 Fails to create new project as standard user

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MarkTheDecrepit, May 26, 2023.

1. MarkTheDecrepit

MarkTheDecrepit

When using Unity Hub 3.4.2 to create a new project using Unity 2022.2.21 a pop-up says "Unity is running as administrator," and gives two options: "Restart Unity as a standard user" or "I wish to continue at my own risk."

If I select the latter, the new project is created and behaves normally. If I select the former (restarting Unity as a standard user), project creation fails. There's no error message, but no project folder is created, Unity does not open.

Log files attached.

Presumably related: when opening existing projects in 2022.2.21, the package manager cannot load my purchased assets unless I am running as administrator.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

3. MarkTheDecrepit

MarkTheDecrepit

No, I'm not trying to put it somewhere that requires admin rights. Neither Unity nor Unity Hub are set up to run as admin. Furthermore, as I noted in my original post, if I let Unity "restart as standard user" I can't access my assets in an existing project, and I can't start any new projects.

And while this is not LTS, it's hardly "bleeding edge." It's due to be LTS next month. It should be somewhere near functional.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

You haven't actually attached them.

5. MarkTheDecrepit

MarkTheDecrepit

I did, but the forum stripped them away because they didn't have an "allowed extension." (Had I realized that would happen I would not have mentioned the log files.)

6. MarkTheDecrepit

MarkTheDecrepit

Maybe this will work -- these are JSON log files, but I changed the extension to txt. They look as though they're going to attach.

Attached Files:

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

I checked through them and nothing stands out to me granted I'm not that familiar with them. I looked through a few other threads with similar problems and I noticed mention of UAC being disabled and others mentioning turning it off and on again fixed it.

Only other thing I can think of is to try installing everything to the C drive rather than your F drive. I can't imagine this is the culprit though I've never tried installing to other drives so if it is I never would have noticed.

Last edited: May 27, 2023
  8. MarkTheDecrepit

MarkTheDecrepit

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try changing the UAC settings, to no avail. As for changing to the C drive, that's not really an option. My C drive is a tiny SSD and doesn't have sufficient space. Besides, I've been running Unity off the F drive for years without problems.

[EDIT:] Seems that Unity Hub now prefers the C: drive. I uninstalled Unity Hub, reinstalled to the C: drive (but left all my projects on the F: drive), and now everything seems to be working correctly.

Last edited: May 30, 2023