Search Unity

UNITY, you are losing so many new devs to UE4 due to Oculus support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stankiem, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

By the way, free Oculus support should also be coming to a 4.5.x patch release soon.

2. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

NIIICE!!!

im not into oculus yet .. but i intend to be... in like a year or something
    awesome that its coming to free!!

now i dont have to pay $1850 ? .. i just gotta pay ~$350 to tinker with occulus..
    although certainly, i hope to go Pro after some profits... hehehh probably as soon as i make like $2000 from a game

... im just learning now, but iam super ambitious and passionate!! :)

Stankiem likes this.
  3. lazygunn

lazygunn

The one single image effect needed by VR is a barrel distortion effect. This doesn't automatically imply rendertextures and their whole api and functionality be exposed for this single image effect to be implemented in a particular 'rift mode'. I'd imagine the rift support would come in the form of a switch in the player settings and have its own api for rift-specific functionality, and will have nothing to do with any existing major feature. I actually quite like the idea of rendertextures on free but yeah, i dont see why they have to be related

Stankiem likes this.
  4. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh yeah, and i'd like to say thanks to UT for this just on sheer principle, it will prove to be an extemely important move, i'm quite convinced on the matter, and like almost everyone else with decent experience of VR, the important thing is getting it into the hands of as many people as possible. It's not anything especially complicated or some crazy conspiracy trick - You try it for a decent session, you understand why people say what they do, you start saying the same kind of things

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

You'll only recover those who were tempted to use UE4 solely for Oculus support.

6. ippdev

ippdev

I had folks come to me looking for barrel distortion shaders. I wonder functionality if this can be implemented through a custom shader without render textures.

7. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Quick Q: Are you an evangelist for Epic? :D

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

No. I'm simply pointing out that those who complained about the cost of Unity Pro, but feel that they cannot make their game without Pro features, may not return. My comment was mostly based on comments from the Reddit thread.

9. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

10. BernieRoehl

BernieRoehl

I'm very glad that UT has decided to do this. It's absolutely the right choice, and it means that Unity will remain the platform of choice for indie developers. And it means my students can use Unity instead of being forced to go elsewhere.

*very happy*

Stankiem, ShilohGames and HeadClot88 like this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

t
    So what? Several things here, Unity are listening and making smart choices. It certainly can't harm them to add OR support into free to attract developers. At least they try to do what's is right, which is more than you can say for some of Unity's competitors. Companies actually factor relationships / decisions and support as part of a major decision making process.

Unity just can't do right for some people and I love Unity even though now I'm used to it I much prefer Unreal engine. That's the beauty of it though, it's becoming more a matter of "preference" as opposed to a need.

Well done Unity, keep at it.!

Ryiah likes this.
  12. Stankiem

Stankiem

haha np, just glad this happened! Great job to all involved.

13. lmbarns

lmbarns

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  14. XGundam05

XGundam05

So, from comments on the blog post, it sounds like we'll be able to target other VR solutions as well?

Basically, I'd like to know if we can use the distortion (in Free) to target things like Google Cardboard or other DIY smartphone-based solutions ('cause that would be awesome). Note: I'm still going to use Unity regardless ;)

15. NoPiece

NoPiece

I just wanted to add that I am really happy about this. Yay Unity!

Aurore likes this.
  16. lazygunn

lazygunn

I don't think there would be any difference between a 'VR mode' for OR or Cardboard from a pure Unity end. The difference at the moment is how you get your sensor information and that can stay the same I would think, for cardboard, and i'm assuming Unity's oculus SDK functionality will be moved to Unity itself so there's no pro-needed plugin for it

17. XGundam05

XGundam05

@lazygunn right, I'm just hoping that we can adjust the amount of distortion for non OR HMDs. My 7x and 4.5x lens HMDs each have a different amount of distortion versus the Rift.

That and the other hope is that it doesn't require automatic detection, which could potentially lock it down to just the OR and Gear VR.

Granted, this is coming from a free hobby user, so I can't really complain ;)

18. lazygunn

lazygunn

I would have thought it would make sense to be more a 'vr mode' rather than an 'oculus rift mode' because the latter to me is a bit like having Unity only support one brand of monitor manufacturer quite arbitrarily. The hmds all work under similar principles so yeah, if they don't allow an api for working with the distortion effect and obvious other parameters at least, i'd consider it a little backwards

19. tswalk

tswalk

I had the opportunity to visit REEL FX studios this past Thursday where a kick-off for "VR Dallas Meetup" had several local companies showing off their products with Oculus and something coming from Samsung....

My perspective has done a 180 on the products now... this is definitely where its' at. I'm now looking at how I can move my project to the platform.

Huge differentiator... the experience is much more immersive.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

Which model did they have? Also how long did you try it out and did you start getting any motion sickness?

21. tswalk

tswalk

I can't say what the models are... it was all NDA.

I can say though, that the games were pretty cool (at least the demos). I didn't get to try them all, but I spoke to others and overall it (motion sickness or dizziness) was different person to person and game to game. I tried a FPS and 3PS and had no problems.

22. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

This one isn't?? last time i know it's powered by oculus and also the reason why carmack joining oculus. *That's what they said :D

23. tswalk

tswalk

yep, that's it... was impressive, a step in the right direction.