Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity XR only?

Discussion in 'EditorXR' started by Corysia, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Corysia

Corysia

In the EVR Guide[v5] (page 3) it says to either download SteamVR or Oculus Utilities if you've a Vive or Rift, respectively. Will that continue to be a requirement now that XR is in Unity?

The reason I ask is that I'm attempting to create something that has both a VR and non-VR mode and therefore can run on platforms other than Windows. Currently, in Unity 2018.2.12f1, simply importing the SteamVR or Oculus packages cause an OSX build to fail. They cannot be present at all in the project. This isn't the case for Unity XR. On the Mac, it will compile and when running, it'll fallback to 'None'.

2. amirebrahimi_unity

amirebrahimi_unity

Unfortunately, right now the answer is yes. On the Oculus side it was necessary to include the SDK to have access to the touch controller input (I'm not sure if this is still the case though). On the Steam side it was necessary to have access to the Vive controller models.

One way you could set up your project is to have a main branch where these tools are not there and then create a custom branch for VR where those tools will be present. You'd likely do most of the work in the main branch and merge those changes to the VR branch to keep it up-to-date in order to test VR.