Search Unity

Unity Xbox 360/PS3 Support?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ryanzec, Feb 24, 2009.

1. ryanzec

ryanzec

Just out of curious, is unity planning on supporting Xbox 360/PS3 any time in the future?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

I think you best ask that through support@unity3d.com

As you must be a licensed developer with Microsoft / Sony to use technologies for their platform (similar to how Unity Wii requires you to be a licensed nintendo developer) stuff related to that would potentially need to be checked on your business before you likely even get any further information on anything alike, potentially not even on the price.

But as mentioned, only the support can tell you

3. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Wrong. :) Do not send pre-sales or general product questions to the support alias, you only write support@unity3d.com when you need support with the existing product (install help, migrate to new machine, log a bug, etc.). If you have general product questions then write us at sales@unity3d.com instead.

As to the OP's question, please use the search function here on the forums, this has been discussed a lot. In general we are not ready to commit to any new platforms at this time but we can definitely say that the Wii console and the iPhone/iPod touch are only our first moves into the console/mobile space. So over time we will be adding new platforms into the mix, and of course XBox and PlayStation figure into those ideas prominently. If/when we have definitive information to share we'll post up, until then just know that those consoles and many other platforms are on our radar for future support.

4. bloodtiger10

bloodtiger10

yep! I participated in those discussions! it was real fun... :) *happy* yeah but let me summarize them for you no 360/PS3 support will not be in the near future and XNA is not 360 also unity would then need to make the applications in C# because XNA doesn't support C++ there you go.... :)

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

*taking out his almighty portable black hole and hiding within it, after taking a personal note on the mail adresses and their purpose*

Thanks for the correction higgyb

6. minevr

minevr

If the Windows platform version of Unity3D released, then I think the support of the X360 should be a quickly.

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

A real X360 perhaps, but not an XNA creators club community store, as Unity does not use .NET internally but C++ so no creators club

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

I don't see a connection here (I'm not stating whether 360 will come quickly or not). Unity 2.5 is all about making the editor run on Windows. Doing 360 port would be all about porting the engine to a new platform. Where's the connection?

9. northman

northman

:(
    I hope the Unity3D can development games for x360 in future.

10. CartBlanche

CartBlanche

Sony supply the PhyreEngine for free ( its opensource to PS3 developers ), so if a port to PS3 were on the cards, they would at least have a reference engine to get the best out of the PS3. PhyreEngine has already been used on Xbox360 games as well.

May I also suggest that if you do move into that console space, do not make the same mistake that Epic did with Unreal Engine 3.x. Instead lead the port on the PS3 and the Xbox 360 version will be just as good. As has been proven countless other times, going the other way just doesn't give as good a multi-platform experience.

11. BetaRayBill

BetaRayBill

All the programmers I've worked with have said the 360 is basically a pc. Thus, the windows build is a very close emulation. I'm not a programmer, but I've seen a few emulate the 360 on a pc within a few days. Who knows though, they probably used some borrowed code from a previous project I'm sure.

12. aber0cks

aber0cks

I think the relation would be that "Windows" or "Linux" is running rather than the 360 native OS. The hardware is the same as a PC but software wise its very different.

Besides I still think the PC is the best gaming platform there is :)

13. edplane

edplane

If so, could you make it xbox and 360? Most xbox games are backward-compatable, and if your game needs extra power, a 360 version will be better. I would so love to see that! Also, off topic, but when will Unity be updated to the new version of Physx? I would love to see some softbodies. What I see in my zombie game, shoot a zombie in the head and a squshy brain falls out.. now that would be killer! lol.. :D

14. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

While I cannot speak for certain I can say that you shouldn't expect XBox (non-360) support. The truth is that the original XBox is a smaller and dwindling market in comparison to the X360 and so our focus is on current hardware. Perhaps it will be easy enough (and the potential market large enough) to consider original XBox support, but I'd caution against that as an expectation for now.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope that one day these big time companies will get their head on their shoulder and make these development kits to make games for the 3 consols. 360 half way did this, but what im talking about is a full blown kit. Indies should have the same rights as big time companies, and im sorry 50+k isnt worth it. 1000 bucks is still out of reach for me for unity pro being unemployed, but mark my words when i get an income Unity Pro is mine :p

16. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

FWIW, we're still a small company building up. First was the Wii, now we've announced XBox 360 is on the way, you extrapolate that path and guess what might happen next... :)

What do "rights" have to do with anything here? You do have the same rights as big companies, your problem is that you don't have the same wallet. :p

We (Unity Tech) are working hard to bring top quality game tools to everyone, but the truth is that when dealing with closed and constrained platforms like consoles are we have to deal with the reality presented. With Unity (desktop, web, iPhone) we can count on selling to thousands of people, thus the per-sale price goes way down in order to be a worth while business for us. But when dealing with consoles the harsh truth is that console vendors (Nintendo, M.soft, Sony) choke the available pool of customers off before we can ever sell to you by limiting who gets dev kits and who doesn't, that means we are limited in the total number of sales and thus the per sale prices floats up. Bummer...

We have plans afoot for next year (anticipation of X360 support and a desire for more Wii devs) to lower the barrier to entry into Unity console tools, but you will first still need to be approved for the console platform first as we cannot remove that part of the legal requirement. Bummer x2...

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

True we dont have the same wallet but even if I had the money to buy a dev kit they still wouldnt sell me one thus why I say we dont have the same rights. Look at Adobe, New Tech, and Auto Desk. All of which sell pro quality tools, even though they are expensive they still dont say just because your project is small we wont sell you our products, but I guess thats what you meen by Sony, Nintendo, and MS being closed.

And by the way even though Unity may be a small company yall still kick ***.

18. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

OMG, Unity on the Atari 2600!!!!!!!11!!one

--Eric

19. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

:|

:D :p

@birvin: fair enough, but I still think that with a big enough wallet they'd sell to you, a "money talks, b.s. walks" sorta vibe (not saying it's right, just the way it [sadly] is).

20. towcar

towcar

I'm sorta curious though why Microsoft would look at Indie Users in general. I don't see how they would profit much alot from us. Then it must be to get people more attracted to the xbox360?

Also I would feel sorry for Mac Users if Microsoft figured a way to make it so they can't make xbox360 games, haha that would be sneaky of them.

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

That's it right there, proliferation of the platform. The truth is that the games industry has gone through a monumental shift over the last 5-10 years. In the 90's the "games industry" to most was all about the big game companies targeting the console and in that world you didn't think about or consider the smaller scale indie developer. But now the "casual" side of things has become a significant part of the industry, both on the web/mobile as well as increasingly on the console. Thus the desire to attract indie developers is, to me, born from the greater desire to proliferate your platform as _the_ gaming platform of choice.

22. arioch82

arioch82

hi,
    I was just looking for xbox live/psn support (instead of full ps3/360) and found this thread.
    any good news on this?

23. Dreamora

Dreamora

given that WiiWare has an own less costly license already with Unity Wii I would expect that the same will happen for licensed developers targeting xbox live arcade / psn :)

24. SADRavin

SADRavin

C# is how I make my games in Unity, if thats the script that xbox 360 uses, then I should be good. Why cant I build the games output to it yet? But I am more interested in outputing it to ps3. I just want to know more about this. :-|

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity does not use C# for the engine, only the scripting.

And you can already target X360 and PS3, please contact sales on the licensing, given you are a licensed PS3 / XBox 360 developer (there is no way to target the X360 indie store, only the real XBLA or Disk Distribution), to talk about the per project fee involved