Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Won't Update Projects

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SteveJ, May 5, 2017.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm running into an issue with 5.6.x that I was also having with 5.5.x.

Basically, I had a project on 5.6.0. I've just installed 5.6.0p3, opened the project, answered yes to the upgrade questions and everything completed. Project opened.

I then close Unity. Open it again. And open that same project, and... it tells me I need to upgrade the project, does the upgrade, etc.

It's like it's not setting a flag or something to say that it's been upgraded.

Same thing happened to me with 5.5.0 - I could never run anything above that version as my projects wouldn't "remember" that they were upgraded.

Is this happening to anyone else or is it just something weird in my world?

2. SteveJ

SteveJ

3. SteveJ

SteveJ

Managed to get a project working with Unity 5.6.0p4 by letting Unity convert the project, and then manually running "Reimport All" before closing it. This seemed to then save the project as the right version.

Now getting the same issue with Unity 5.6.1f1 and Reimport All isn't helping. Also tried deleting the Library folder. No matter what I do, the project prompts to be upgraded EVERY TIME it's opened. It never "saves" the fact that it's already been upgraded.

4. SteveJ

SteveJ

If anyone has any info on this, can you please let me know? It's seriously f$%king up my karma here.

I have Case 909187 open for it, but haven't heard anything.

5. 4ngryFace

4ngryFace

I was having the same issue in the 5.6.x branch.

Check that your project folder does not have any read only files (right click project folder, uncheck read only if checked).
    Once I did that it saved the updated version correctly.

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

Unity support eventually replied to me directly on this. In newer versions of Unity, you need to make some small change in the project after conversion and save, otherwise the new project version doesn't get written. i.e. you can't just open your project, convert it, and then close it - you need to DO something to it afterwards to dirty the project so it can be saved.

The alternative is to open the project, convert it, close it, and then open the ProjectSettings/ProjectVersion.txt file and manually change it to the new version that you converted to.

TBbadmofo likes this.
  7. sudogetpizza

sudogetpizza

Thanks for posting the update, I was having the same issue and opening the project, reimporting assets then making some changes before saving the project fixed the problem!

unityunity