Search Unity

Unity Won't Start

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pierceblaylock, Oct 5, 2010.

1. pierceblaylock

pierceblaylock

I just downloaded and installed Unity and it won't start for me. It placed an icon on my Desktop during installation. When I double click the icon, nothing happens. My mouse cursor will change to loading cursor for a few seconds and that's it. I've checked the task manager and there is no process running for Unity, so I don't believe it is loading at all.

I have Windows 7 64bit with 6GB of RAM, an Intel i7 CPU and an nvidia GTX470. I have tried Run as Administrator and I've tried various compatability settings. Nothing seems to make any difference.

Has anyone else had any problems like this, or have any ideas on what I should do?

2. pierceblaylock

pierceblaylock

Sorry, just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone else might have any ideas. Thanks.

3. ormon

ormon

I have the same setup with 12 gigs of ram, and I just get unity crashing when I try to start.
    "program has stopped working'
    error
    This is with the lastest demo, downloaded today.

4. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

This is quite odd. Hmmm...

5. pierceblaylock

pierceblaylock

At least you get a "program has stopped working" error. I don't get anything at all happen when I try to start it.

6. Rod-Green

Rod-Green

I had this same problem all the way through the beta. I'm surprised it hasn't be resolved in the latest build or added to some help docs. But I do have a solution!!!

It's called DEP.. you need to disable it for unity:

How to change Data Execution Prevention (DEP) settings in Windows 7?

Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a feature that protects our system from viruses and other security threats. The Windows constantly monitors the programs running on our system and closes them if they perform any malicious activity. But sometimes we want a certain program(s) to run even if the Windows alerts us that it is a malicious one.

To change Data Execution Prevention settings in Windows 7 follow these simple steps:

1) Right click on the Computer icon on your Desktop and select Properties.
    2) The System window opens now. Here click the Advanced system settings link in the left pane as highlighted below
    3) The System Properties window opens now. Here click the Settings… button under Performance section under Advanced tab
    4) The Performance Options dialog box opens now. Here select Data Execution Prevention tab and then click on the dot Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option and click Add button
    5) Now select the Executable file that you want to add and click Open button (Unity.exe)
    Note: If you try to add an executable file that for which DEP cannot be turned off then you will receive a warning as shown below.
    6) Similarly to remove an executable file from the list select that file and click Remove button.
    7) Click Apply and then OK button in the Performance options window
    8) Click OK button in System Properties window
    9) Close System window.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  7. pierceblaylock

pierceblaylock

That did the trick. Great!

8. ormon

ormon

that was it for me too.
    God its nice to post and get answers.

9. Ethan-A-Black

Ethan-A-Black

DEP says that I can't exclude 64-bit executables. My Unity is 64-bit; what do I do?

10. NotBubZ

NotBubZ

ME TOO AND IM SO ANNOYED

11. OP-SHARK55

OP-SHARK55

Are you using Unity or Unity Hub? The white one works; it reset my liscense when I opened it, but if you either have an account or use the free liscense it should be fine.

12. AttackOnTitanFallTwo

AttackOnTitanFallTwo

The guy already had his issue solved back in 2010. Unity hub wasn't around back then :p

I'm having the same issue though. Unity Hub would open the editor only under specific and seemingly random circumstances, and frequently wouldn't open the editor at all. I tested both 2019 and 2020 LTS releases of the Unity Editor, and neither would open.
    Basically, any time I created a new project, and selected 2D or 3D, the Unity Hub window would close, my cursor would display the loading indicator for a few seconds, and then nothing would happen. No Unity splash screen, no active process in task manager, nothing.
    This, in addition to my license resetting and sometimes not reenabling even when I try and activate a new free license, made me think that the Unity Hub was causing the Issue, so I uninstalled all Unity applications, Unity Hub and all of my editor versions, and installed an editor standalone, not through Unity Hub, and it still won't launch, proving that my issue really is with the Unity editor not launching, taking me back to square one. The Unity Editor won't launch on my laptop even though it has done so before on a previous installation of Windows 10 (still using Win10, just had to reinstall it after my hard drive died).

Anyone from this year have any idea what's up?

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Anything in the logs?