Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're running great holiday deals on subscriptions, swag and Asset Store packages! Take a peek at this blog for more information!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out our Unite Austin 2017 YouTube playlist to catch up on what you missed. More videos coming soon.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity won't start up and keeps flashing

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by jay_uk, Nov 10, 2017.

1. jay_uk

jay_uk

Installed everything on my mac. On first run I just get a blank screen with a progress bar but screen just flashes then starts again.

I'm connected to the internet and computer is running fine. I've tried installing it on my work laptop just to check if my personal computer wasnt broken or something but I get the same issue.

Here's my personal macbook's error log and screenshot attached:

[Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 58371 was selected
    Launching external process: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/Tools/nodejs/bin/node

COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity
    [warn] kq_init: detected broken kqueue; not using.: Undefined error: 0
    2017-11-10 20:17:55.535 Unity Helper[13055:1616443] XType: failed to connect - Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service named com.apple.fonts was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service named com.apple.fonts was invalidated.}
    2017-11-10 20:17:55.535 Unity Helper[13055:1616443] Font server protocol version mismatch (expected:5 got:0), falling back to local fonts
    2017-11-10 20:17:55.535 Unity Helper[13055:1616443] XType: unable to make a connection to the font daemon!
    2017-11-10 20:17:55.535 Unity Helper[13055:1616443] registering /System/Library/Fonts/*, /System/Library/Fonts/Base/*, and /Library/Fonts/* locally
    [1110/201756:ERROR:connection.cc(1060)] DOMStorageDatabase sqlite error 14, errno -2: unable to open database file, sql: -- sqlite3_open()
    [1110/201756:ERROR:dom_storage_database.cc(163)] Unable to open DOM storage database at /Users/n/Library/Unity/Browser/Cache/Local Storage/file__0.localstorage error: sql::Connection has no connection.
    [CEF] Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'addEventListener' of undefined in https://api.unity.com/v1/oauth2/aut...ode_modules/unity-editor-home/dist/index.html
    [CEF] Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'addEventListener' of undefined in https://api.unity.com/v1/oauth2/aut...ode_modules/unity-editor-home/dist/index.html

Attached Files:

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't have much to offer, except to say that it works fine on my Mac (though I'm using a slightly older version of Unity). So, you could try (1) re-downloading the installer; (2) downloading a slightly older version of the installer; or (3) contacting Unity support directly. Hopefully one or more of those will do it. Hang in there — it'll be worth it!

HTH,
    - Joe

3. jay_uk

jay_uk

Thanks for the tip....I have Unity 2017.2 and have tried reinstalling it but no luck. Seems to be a problem with this version as its the same issue across two different machines. Can't believe I'm the only one with this problem??

4. kungufli

kungufli

Same problem here, just installed the version 2017.2.0, the start screen keeps flashing and Unity won't load. I'm on a new MPB 15" 2017 and High Sierra 10.13.1.

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Have you guys tried an older version, to see if that makes a difference?

6. kungufli

kungufli

Just tried installing the 2017.1.2 version, same problem.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity semi-recently added the ability to log in via Facebook and Google. If you're attempting to use those methods then I recommend trying an actual Unity account. You'll want to delete the license folder before hand though. Uninstalling Unity doesn't remove it and it can interfere with future attempts to log in.

You can find the license information in one of these locations. Just remove the files in the folder.
    • /Library/Application Support/Unity/ (OS X)
    • C:\ProgramData\Unity\ (Windows)

JoeStrout likes this.
  8. kungufli

kungufli

Thanks, I was trying to log in using Google sign-in, actually, so that's could be the problem. But there isn't any "Unity" folder in my /Library/Application Support, probably the app has not yet created it, but I'm still stuck at the starting screen, how can I make the app to start from the login screen?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's actually ~/Library/Application Support (i.e., under your home folder).

10. kungufli

kungufli

In my home folder (~/Library/Application Support) there isn't any "Unity" folder. From the root, instead, I have /Library/Application Support/Unity, but there isn't any file in it.

11. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Well, I give. You really need to contact Unity support and get direct help. (This forum is not an official Unity support channel; use email or telephone.) As this is an issue that is surely preventing new users from joining the user base, I expect they will be highly motivated to help!

But please post back here when you've got it sorted out, and let us know what the solution was, in case others run into the same thing.

12. kungufli

kungufli

Well, I contacted the support through the official support form (that provide a "Technical Inquiries" option, just for reference: https://unity3d.com/contact/get-in-touch), and after 6 days I finally got a reply:

"Unfortunately I can't assist with technical enquiries. I would advise looking on our forums - https://forum.unity.com/ - It's monitored by our developers and the community."

Seriously?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 7:27 PM
  13. kungufli

kungufli

Here is a gif that shows what happen when I launch the Unity app, just in case someone have any further suggestion.
    Anyway, as a developer, I don't think I can seriously consider the Unity platform at this point, since I was not even able to start and try it. What if that happened during the development of a project?

Attached Files:

14. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

I'll take a poke at this...

First, I'd like to establish that the issue you are experiencing is not Unity related. Unity tech support and the forums have not experienced the problem you have described. Since this is not a known problem by a vast amount of users of all levels and on all imaginable hardware types, it's safe to say the problem is unique to you and your hardware.

In your Unity_bug.gif it shows Unity trying to initialize itself and failing. That in itself is not helpful, but the error report you provided in your OP is. Unity is requesting fonts from your Mac OS and the OS is failing to accommodate the request. At that point Unity can't continue without fonts, so it keeps trying.

First, what OS version are you running? Are you running a font server program? Have you edited, removed, or disabled the standard system fonts? Are you running any background tasks or services? Is the software (other than Unity and OS) you use up to date? Have you tried to open with extensions off? Have you 'Rebuilt Permissions'? Although remote, it could be a failing hard drive issue.

The answer to your dilemma is within your equipment and how you are using it. I'd try a bare bones clean OS install and test. I'm guessing that will work just fine for you. To solve this, you're going to have to sort this out on your own as the problem is unique to you.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017 at 9:49 PM
  15. kungufli

kungufli

First of all, the OP is not mine, so we are at least 2 people with this problem. The fact that this issue is affecting very few users doesn't mean that the problem is not existent, also, even if this isn't a bug, I think someone from the Unity team should have supported me in resolving the problem. Support is not only about bugs, but on helping users with legitimate problems. Are you telling me that Unity doesn't offer support, unless you have a problem with a (already recognized) bug?

As said in a previous post macOS High Sierra 10.13.1
    No
    No
    No
    Absolutely, all up to date
    What extensions? It's a fresh installation of Unity, never installed anything else.
    All permissions in /Applications and /Library folders are ok.
    This is not the case, it's a brand new MBP 2017 and the drive is ok.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017 at 12:00 AM
    miseajour34 likes this.
  16. miseajour34

miseajour34

Hi everybody. Same problem ... :( any issues ?

17. kungufli

kungufli

After further investigation I found the problem: there is a problem with Google Sign-in (and it's definitely a bug of Unity), the Google sign-in doesn't work (at least if you are using the two factor authentication), the init screen get stuck in a loop caused by an error in the oauth call. To exit the loop you need to delete the "Cache" and "Cookies" folders located in ~/Library/Unity/Browser so when you start Unity it will ask again your login credentials. You need to login with your native Unity account.
    Hope this will help someone else that will encounter the issue.

P.S.: it's a shame that no one of the support team was interested in the issue (I suppose this issue would be easily fixed, if only someone would care about it), vary bad experience

miseajour34 and JoeStrout like this.
  18. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I agree, this was a very disappointing response from Unity. All I can say is that, in my experience, they've usually been better than that. I'll cling to the thought that you got the new guy on an off day.

Anyway, good job figuring it out!

kungufli likes this.
  19. miseajour34

miseajour34

Thanks a lot Kungufli :) going to try this