Search Unity

Unity won't run after installation (Ubuntu 18.04)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by quackgyver, Sep 22, 2018.

1. quackgyver

quackgyver

I followed the Linux installation wizard, and after finishing the installation and selecting the option to run Unity after closing the installer, nothing happened except for the file manager opening the folder to which I'd installed Unity.

Running Unity via the file manager does nothing.

What do I do?

2. mageaster

mageaster

Have you installed all required dependencies?

3. Kalle801

Kalle801

Same here. It installs but i can not run it. Using (2017.4.10f1) No error no nothing.

"Have you installed all required dependencies?" What? This is a installer. It should have all.

4. quackgyver

quackgyver

This is an installer, so can you be more specific?

5. mageaster

mageaster

Really? @Tak, does the Wizard/Hub check dependencies and install them?

6. mageaster

mageaster

This is not Windows and not flatpak, you have to install dependencies manually once and for all soft that requires it.

7. Kalle801

Kalle801

Solved... You need to chose a Desktop with a Display Server. In my case it was Wayland.

Best Regards.

PS: @mageaster You are absolutelly wrong. The installer got all included. Thats why we were confused.

8. quackgyver

quackgyver

What?

9. Kalle801

Kalle801

Log out of your desktop and chose one with a Display Server, on the little "Settings" icon on the Log In screen. Try to run unity if you are done.

10. quackgyver

quackgyver

What are you talking about? I'm already running a display server, and why would it be relevant to switch desktop environments?

11. Kalle801

Kalle801

If unity is not running for you with that display server, its a bad display server. Use anotherone.

If you still dont know what i mean, you should consider to change to Windows again. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  12. quackgyver

quackgyver

Are you... somehow under the impression that I'm asking for help with the Unity graphical shell for GNOME rather than Unity 3D - on the website for Unity 3D?

Kalle801 likes this.
  13. Kalle801

Kalle801

You told that unity3d is not working for you in linux (Starting after installation) or not? If so, read my posts to find the solution.

14. quackgyver

quackgyver

I don't see a solution in any of your comments. You're mentioning something about display servers, but I'm having a hard time understanding what point you're trying to make and what it's based on.

15. quackgyver

quackgyver

16. quackgyver

quackgyver

Okay, I think I finally solved it.

I installed Unity onto a device that was formatted to FAT, and apparently FAT-partitions don't support Linux permissions. This means that there was no available chmod-data for the Unity executable to tell the system that I'm allowed to run it, which resulted in the system denying everyone the right to execute the file.

In order to get around this I had to format the device to a Linux-friendly file system (beware, you can lose ownership of the entire device while messing around with this), and I've now finally been able to run Unity in Linux.

What's strange is that the system wouldn't recognize the Unity executable when run as root via command line (as well as some other weirdness) when I first encountered this issue, but I'll chalk that up to some sort of underlying Linux logic.

I hope that this'll help anyone else who encounters this issue.

PixelJ and Hazefs like this.