Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity - Windows and Windows Phone Games Competition. Congratulations winners!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Aurore, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fpuig

fpuig

Do the game needs to be 100% finished before submitting to the contest?

Our game has all the gameplay features implemented and it plays fine, but we want to add and tweak a few more social features before actually releasing to the store in the next couple months.

Can we submit our game to the contest even if it’s not complete?

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

I wouldn't give off the impression that it's 'incomplete'. Rather remove menu options and make it look as complete as possible if something is not yet implemented, good luck!

3. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Good advice, as long as it's playable from beginning to end and it's not obvious that features are missing, then it will be fine.

4. J Rdz

J Rdz

Hi Aurore,

If my game is already in the Windows Store (released this month), can I still participate ?

Do I still need to upload it for the contest?

By the way, asking for the whole source code doesn't sound good in my humble opinion

Thanks

-J

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

Nowhere does it say in the contest rules that you need to submit your source code.

6. J Rdz

J Rdz

6 posts above:

rextr09:
    "The requirements says "Upload your Unity Project file". Does it mean that we should send all the project files with assets etc. or what exactly? All the *.unityproj files?"

Aurore:
    "Yes the whole project folder, preferably compressed for easy upload and download. This is to ensure there has been no cheating"

Probably I missunderstood, totally possible

7. Meltdown

Meltdown

No, according to Tomas...

The package is the output folder after you do a build. (Right click Project in VS -> Store -> Create App Packages)

Aurore, there are a lot of confused people here.. I don't recall all your source code having to be uploaded. Tomas says you need to upload your Windows Store Package, or your Windows Phone 8 Xap file.

And how does having to upload your entire Unity project prevent 'cheating' ??

8. stivdev

stivdev

I'm also a bit confused since there are a couple of conflicting answers. I'm planning to submit a Windows Phone 8 game and what I was planning to include in my zip is the following:

1. The XAP file for my game.
    2. A README.txt file with all the requested game descriptions/instructions.
    3. A zip of my entire project folder including all code and raw assets.

Is this everything I need? There's also mention of a .appx file on one of the pages, is that also necessary for WP8 games? I would love a clarification on this so I can finalise my submission.

9. cubaschi

cubaschi

Hi,

I would also like to participate and the game is basicly at 99%. There are only some issues with lockscreen fast resume and OnApplicationPause being fired too much (which seems to be a windows bug according to a unity dev on another thread here in the forum).
    The version I will send in does not have to be the one to put in the store right?

Thank your for helping,

Simon

10. xpander

xpander

May I use Unity 4.3 beta for submission to contest?
    It has some useful changes.

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

Still waiting on a clear answer to this question. Do we need to include a zip of our entire project?

12. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Yes, just talked with people responsible for the contest, and yes - you have to upload your project source as well.

So in short, main things are:
    * ZIpped project source
    * For Windows Store Apps: zipped package exported from Windows Store App Visual Studio solution using steps I've described
    * For Windows Phone 8: zipped XAP package

13. grcwar

grcwar

Our manager simply says "We can't send like 1GB in data of a proprietary and registered source code + many hours of artistic creation in graphic files, developed in many months, targeting all the platforms. We can't give away our product".

And I have to agree with him, why would I send my "In App" logic to them if its so important that there's people selling this thing out there?. It's valuable and costs money.

It's a huge amount of data + commercial interests.. doesn't makes sense to require it.. even in a prize contest. It's just like saying, let's find the best search engine.. but Google, please send me all your algorithms so I can tell it's true that you made it.

Anyway our team has already deployed the game to the store.. by the way we got more than 30k downloads in two weeks which is by far more than what we expected! So, if you can't go to the contest for some reason just like us, it's still a nice try to hit the stores. :cool:

Good luck for all contestants, the hard job will be worthy for sure. :D

14. juggernate

juggernate

The guidelines say we need to use a specific name for our .zip file: [first name][Last name]_[Windows8 or WindowsStore]
    The [Windows8 or WindowsStore] qualifier is a bit confusing as to which is which. :p

I have a Windows Phone app, and named my file "nathanAllison_Windows8.zip" . Is this correct?

15. stivdev

stivdev

I was going to ask the same question because neither of them sound quite right.

16. rumorgames

rumorgames

To enter the contest, you need to submit your app package, not your source code. Just the .appxupload and the directory with the .appx and other files. Same process you used to create the package you submitted to the store, only when asked whether you want to build for the store, select "no" and create an unsigned package instead.

For anyone unsure on how to create an unsigned app package:

Open your Windows Store build Visual Studio output project, and select...

Project > Store > Create App Packages > (no) > (next) > (follow remaining steps)

or...

Right click Project file in Solution Explorer > Store > Create App Packages > (no) > (next) > (follow remaining steps)

The output of this operation will be in your solution directory. Alongside bin, obj, Data, and others, you will find a new AppPackages directory. The contents of that directory are what you need to put in your zip upload. Actually, just the .appx is probably sufficient, but the mods previously suggested uploading the whole lot.

Hopefully that helps alleviate people's confusion and concerns about what to submit.

17. Meltdown

Meltdown

From Matt from Unity..

Hey Everyone,

We understand there was some confusion with the contest submission process. Here some important steps for submitting both Windows and Windows Phone projects to the contest

Upload your app package and any extra information about the project in a text file by 11.59 p.m. UCT on September 30, 2013, following these instructions:
    for Windows Phone: just upload the .XAP file

for Windows 8: Upload a zip file of the folder generated when you create a package, using the Store -> Create App Packages menu in Visual studio

If you have published your game/app already in Microsoft Stores, add the link in your “about” text file.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  18. stivdev

stivdev

Thank you, this is very helpful! Do you know what is required for Windows Phone 8 apps?

Also does anyone know if I should name my Windows Phone 8 zip "Windows8" or "WindowsStore"? I was going to go with "WindowsStore" just by process of elimination...

19. rumorgames

rumorgames

Just build your app in the Master configuration and submit the XAP file. You'll find it in:

Bin > ARM > Master > [appname]_Master_ARM.xap

The instructions are poorly worded, but "Windows Store" generally means Windows 8 apps (especially in Unity's documentation), so my expectation is that we're supposed to use WindowsStore for Windows 8 apps, and Windows8 for Windows Phone apps.

20. SteveJ

SteveJ

I have a couple more questions...

Has there been any indication of when the competition will be judged? And can you submit an app that's already available for sale on the Windows Store?

Say I have a game that's ready for release right now. I'd like to upload it for the competition, but if it won't be judged for 3 months, and I can't have it on the store until then, obviously it messes up my release etc. If it's going to be judged in a couple of weeks time, then no problem, OR if I can still submit it to the store in the meantime, again - no problem.

Hope that makes sense and someone knows the answers?

21. stivdev

stivdev

Thank you!

22. Aurore

Aurore

The games will start being judged as soon as the competition ends, you can submit an app that has already been released.

23. Aurore

Aurore

The guys over at Microsoft have written a handy step by step of how to prepare your game for entry. If you think you have done something out of the ordinary, remember you can always update your upload in your FTP folder (must be done before competition closing.) There are also .PDF included at the end.

Windows Phone

$XAP Step1.png $XAP Step 2.png $XAP Step 3.png $XAP Step 4.png $XAp Step 5.png

24. Aurore

Aurore

WIndows Phone Continued.

$XAP Step 6.png

Attached Files:

25. Aurore

Aurore

Windows Store

26. Aurore

Aurore

Windows Store Continued

$Windows Store Step 6.png $Windows Store step 7.png $Windows Store Step 8.png

Attached Files:

27. ArturoNereu

ArturoNereu

Hi,

I registered yesterday and haven´t received info about how to upload my entry. Does anyone knows the average time it takes to get that info?

Best.

28. jtate

jtate

Can someone at Unity please confirm if we need to submit the source code, assets and other unity project files? I'm still very confused.

29. stivdev

stivdev

I got an email almost instantly

30. Meltdown

Meltdown

YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUBMIT SOURCE CODE.
    This has been confirmed many times above if you read the build processes.

Here is Matt's email to the beta group from yesterday detailing what needs to be submitted...

Hey Everyone,

We understand there was some confusion with the contest submission process. Here some important steps for submitting both Windows and Windows Phone projects to the contest

Upload your app package and any extra information about the project in a text file by 11.59 p.m. UCT on September 30, 2013, following these instructions:
    for Windows Phone: just upload the .XAP file

for Windows 8: Upload a zip file of the folder generated when you create a package, using the Store -> Create App Packages menu in Visual studio

If you have published your game/app already in Microsoft Stores, add the link in your “about” text file.

31. ArturoNereu

ArturoNereu

Thank you!

I think I´ll have to be patient :)

32. diogomota

diogomota

i'm submitting a windows phone game, i upload the zip file with the about.txt and .xap file my question is: what is the naming of the zip for windows phone ? the instructions are not clear windowsStore or Windows8 ?

33. Gif

Gif

Please, and what should be naming convention and/or directory structure when I want send two projects?

Specially I want send two projects for Windows Store and same two projects for Windows Phone 8.

Thanks.

34. Syphius

Syphius

Hello,

I want to make the exact same thing, could you help us?

When I registered for the contest I thought I must make a registration for each project so I only described my first project in the summary form, is it a problem?

Best Regards.

35. nw-admin

nw-admin

We submitted five of our games for Unity-Windows contest. Three games for Windows Phone 8 two for Windows Store.

@diogomota, @Gif

If your first name is : Thomas
    Second name is : Williams

Naming convention for Windows Phone 8 is : ThomasWilliams_Windows8.zip
    Naming convention for Windows Store apps : ThomasWilliams_WindowsStore.zip

If you are planning to submit more than one game then,
    ThomasWilliams_Windows8_1.zip
    ThomasWilliams_WindowsStore_2.zip
    ThomasWilliams_Windows8_3.zip
    so on...

This what we followed based on the inputs in this thread, I hope this will be helpful.

All the best in the contest in the stores as well.

36. Syphius

Syphius

Thank you very much nwmohan :)

I submitted my games.

37. cesarpo

cesarpo

The address: http://contest-ftp.unity3d.com/, is "down for maintenance", seems that the server is being hammered by last time uploads :D

Any news on when is going to be available again? I want to upload my game :!:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  38. RedFace

RedFace

Hi every one,
    I am having a compile issue when I try to build my game for the windows app store,
    the following is the compile error:
    Can someone please help? thanks!

39. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Check the Editor.log

40. RedFace

RedFace

You mean the console log right?
    But even if I use a new empty project to do this , the problem still occurs.
    It seems to be certain software problem?

[edited]

The problem's solved, it's because I am using the wrong version of visual studio.
    Now I have encountered other problem,
    when compiling , there are many scripts compile error (even c# scripts),
    I really have no idea on this...I'm almost giving it up..

41. cesarpo

cesarpo

Still is "under maintenance", anyone?

42. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

FTP client works just fine, I suggest you use that. Instead of opening through http

43. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Thomas,

I've registered but the email didn't come through, I've checked our email logs and it got spam filtered, I've turned these off now, but I can't re-register, how do I get my registration email resent?

account was: xxx

Thanks,

Jon

44. cesarpo

cesarpo

$homer-doh.jpg

thanks!

45. Aurore

Aurore

Windows 8

Put a "_2" somewhere in the name of your second project

If your e-mail didn't come through send me a PM with your e-mail address

46. Aurore

Aurore

Also, ALL the charts for the end time of the competition, NO LATE ENTRIES! Give yourself plenty of time to upload today

http://bit.ly/15FfsST

And a count down timer of doom

http://bit.ly/18ED0eD

P.s. UTC (Coordinated Universal Time is the time our servers in Copenhagen run on)

47. kenlem

kenlem

Thanks for the countdown timer of doom. Nothing like a deadline to light a fire under me.

Phew! My 2nd entry has been submitted. I did it last night but realized I introduced a show stopper of a bug just before I uploaded. :)

Has anyone else already submitted?

Good luck to everyone. Fingers crossed...

48. fifthknotch

fifthknotch

I can not thank you enough for that timer. I had no ideal when it was ending; I thought I still had 6 hours! Just finish the upload though so I'm set and ready.

49. fifthknotch

fifthknotch

2 mins to spare... I think I did good haha.

50. Aurore

Aurore

Nice! The contest is now closed, we've made a note of those who were uploading at the time of closing, those submission will qualify. Any uploads commencing after the closing time will not be accepted for judging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.