Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Window Delay

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by pp_dd, Feb 7, 2019.

1. pp_dd

pp_dd

Hey there!

I hope this is the right place to post this problem.
    So, maybe someone knows this:

When I switch between windows in Windows 10 pro, lets say I`m in the browser window and watch a tutorial on youtube and then I want back to the unity window to do whatever, the unity window needs up to 5-6 seconds to respond! Its like freezed...
    Its a 16-core threadripper wit 64gb Ram and a 1060gtx....the cpu utilization is at 1-2% max.
    I think that should be enough to "awake" the unity window with an empty scene!?
    Everything works perfect on that machine...
    except... unity!....

Greets

2. pp_dd

pp_dd

Ok, wrong place :)
    ...But cant delete or move post...?!

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

What do you mean by "Unity window"? The Unity page in your browser?

4. pp_dd

pp_dd

Hey,

I mean the Window of the unity program/editor itself.

5. pp_dd

pp_dd

Ok, I found the "problem".
    The project(s) are stored on network drives...When I store it local, it works -___-
    But evey other program doesnt have a problem with having their files on network drives (3d-Software/max with huge scenes up to 4gb , Adobe CC Apps and so on)
    unity is the only one "complaining" about that...
    I wonder how bigger studios handle that...I doubt, that they have every project stored local on an employees machine...
    then every time another employee works on the project, they have to copy it back and forth!?!

6. You really shouldn't rely on network drives. Especially if you work with other people. Writing the same project from multiple computers is insanely error-prone. This is why "bigger studios" and "smaller amateurs" use version control system. Which means you will get a copy locally and when you have done editing whatever want to add to the current base you submit the changes into the repository. Research git, svn or perforce and choose one. If you work alone or just with one or two guys you can choose Unity Collab as well.
    You really don't have any reason to open up projects over the network.

7. pp_dd

pp_dd

Thanks for the answer, we`ll try a version control system!

Lurking-Ninja likes this.