Search Unity

Unity will now ship with Visual Studio set as the default IDE, free to use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigSadFace, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Bradamante

Bradamante

Hm, how far will the free version get me compared to the default MonoDevelop? I mean if Xamarin turns out to be mindblowingly good then I will gladly pay for it, but for now I don't want to.

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Isn't the IDE the same any which way, and the fee gets you different license terms? The free version does specify that it's for a pretty limited team, though I haven't checked details. It could fit plenty of game/hobby projects, but I suspect any significant team or project might have to pay Xamarin's license fees.

3. Bradamante

Bradamante

Well, the free "Starter" version talks about "limited app size" - what is that? Would that affect me with Unity?

4. steego

steego

Xamarin is a set of tools and libraries to create apps in C#. Xamarin Studio is the IDE. You only need the IDE if you only plan on using it with Unity.

Xamarin Studio is however the same as MonoDevelop. What happened was, Xamarin forked MonoDevelop, and made a lot of improvements to it. This has since been merged into MonoDevelop, so they are now more or less the same.

AFAIK there are no restrictions on using the Xamarin Studio IDE with Unity projects, the limits only apply to using the Xamarin tools and libraries for apps.

You would however probably get the same experience with just using MonoDevelop. You can download the latest version here. It's just a newer version than the one that ships with Unity.

5. yoonitee

yoonitee

Sounds like a good idea since MonoDevelop is a bit rubbish.

However, (knowing Microsoft) I can see all sorts of errors popping up if you all ready have one of the hundred or so different versions of Visual Studio all ready installed. Plus at least MonoDevelop starts relatively quickly.

6. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

this! I updated my visual studio 2013 to 2015 and now syntax highlighting is not working!

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Did you update your Visual Studio Tools for Unity plugin? There's specific versions for VS2013 and VS2015.

8. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Yes, I imported the 2015 version and tried opening a script and also tried opening VS through "Assets -> Open C# Project", nothing, deleted and tried again without the package in the project and also nothing...

ps.: it was working before without the VS Tools package imported, idk why...

9. grenappels

grenappels

I know this is a year later but I found your post because I was looking for the same thing, and I found this:
    https://studiostyl.es/schemes/monoysd

It's not exactly the same, I liked having white for local variables and green for instance variables, but I'll survive :confused:

10. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

You can tweak to make exactly how you want it using an extension called codinion, look: