Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity will now ship with Visual Studio set as the default IDE, free to use

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bigSadFace, Apr 19, 2015.

1. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity seems to prefer a uniform development environment across their development platforms. What advantage would Unity bring that is not already provided by UnityVS? You can already use Visual Studio and many already do.

http://unityvs.com/

3. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

From the sound of it, I think it's just the bundling of Visual Studio Community with Unity on Windows (instead of MonoDevelop maybe), and the UnityVS package built in maybe?

Ryiah likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes, upon reading again it appears to be tighter integration by including the option to download Visual Studio Community in the Unity installer. I don't think this is outright replacement of MonoDevelop though but rather an automated option that additionally downloads the proper packages for those of us who prefer Visual Studio.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A more relevant question is why do we have the moustache guy instead of a cute teddy bear as our mascot? And don't tell me the moustache guy is cute, I really don't want to hear it. :)

Honestly it doesn't sound like much, just an opportunity to click "Install VS" instead of "Install MonoDevelop" when you run the Unity installer. And no official announcement from the Unity side yet.

But seriously, has anyone ever heard about that teddy bear powered engine that is ranked up there with Unity and Unreal? Seems like they are the real winners in this announcement with whatever publicity they can get from being paired with the other two engines.

Ryiah likes this.
  6. HemiMG

HemiMG

You mean Cocos2d? That's a coconut. And it's probably the most widely used mobile framework out there.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Cool, I'll have to investigate. Apparently I've had my head in the sand. :oops:

8. HemiMG

HemiMG

It's pure C++ (or Objective-C originally) so it isn't really the same thing as Unity or Unreal. But it is a great tool if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and are doing 2d games.

9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'd like for VS to stop dropping the project info. It's a great tool as it is, but it's super annoying that I have to keep quitting VS, re-generating the project files and re-opening it. (Admittedly I'm still more productive there than in the alternatives.)

Ryiah likes this.
  10. Dave_Voyles

Dave_Voyles

Today Microsoft announced that when you go to install Unity, Visual Studio will be the default IDE selected. The Community Edition is included, which is basically VS 2013 professional. If you are using Unity, we also have the free Visual Studio Tools for easier debugging -- it works in the VS 2015 preview now, too.

If you are using Visual Studio, ReSharper is a great extension to have. Costs $100, but it's worth every penny.

If you are looking for more tools to work with as a game developer, I wrote an overview of some of the biggest tools last year.

GibTreaty and larku like this.
  11. LaneFox

LaneFox

Thats super cool! I switched to VS this year finally and I now I can't understand why anyone would use MonoDevelop. Glad to see this happen.

Unity's reaction

12. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

That's cool.
    Wonder if one would still have to import that unityVS tools package into every single project or if debugging just works with this.
    Also I've read somewhere on a MS page that the community edition is only for people with less than $1m turnover or profit, not sure, that or last year. Might only be a catch for real professional users who might have VS pro anyway already. :p
    Unity free users wouldn't have to worry because of unity free's limit of $100k already.

13. Zeblote

Zeblote

Announced where? I can't find it

14. alt.tszyu

alt.tszyu

Zeblote likes this.
  15. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Still waiting for a Unity side announcement on this.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Zeblote likes this.
  17. RJ-MacReady

RJ-MacReady

Wow....every reason I had to doubt Unity's stance as a universal force for good has been obliterated.

First, they pump tons of energy into tutorials.
    Then, they release super cool new GUI tools.
    Then, Unity5 takes the price tag off of pro features.
    Now, this.

Nietzsche was wrong. The world is a lovely place.

18. Bradamante

Bradamante

I am so looking forward to work with Visual Studio on Mac OS X.

Oh no wait ... I can't.

JayJennings and Kiwasi like this.
  19. 00christian00

00christian00

The official announcement doesn't say anything about Visual Studio becoming the default IDE.

20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Today's announcement linked by @Ryiah does, the one last Friday just talked about "closer integration" or something to that effect.

21. SteveJ

SteveJ

Yes... curious as to what their "official" solution will be for MacOS users.

22. giyomu

giyomu

Working only under Mac Osx is a good candidate for using MonoDevelop:p

angrypenguin likes this.
  23. tango209

tango209

Hopefully it will be a checkbox option now on the download/installer as I already have VS installed and they can strip monodevelop and save us some bandwidth. :)

24. 00christian00

00christian00

But that's not official even if the guy claim to work for Microsoft.
    Plus the article seem to imply that it is already the default since yesterday, so If I do download Unity today I should get the VS IDE?
    Without even a new Unity version out?
    The guy clearly didn't understand the real announcement.

angrypenguin and Kiwasi like this.
  25. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

We could always just ask the mother of dragons.

@Aurore any official word from the Unity side on this announcement?

26. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

someone here maybe knows about this?
    how can I get the syntax highlighting in VS the way Monodevelop has it? ive become very fond of this scheme
    its not Just the color scheme, it seems VS cannot differentiate the colors as much as Monodevelop does.
    I guess its "semantic highlighting" (whatever that is lols)

its Monodevelop's Monokai that i want..
    VS ---- Monodevelop

27. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

If you want VS to behave like monodevelop you should just use monodevelop. The reason people like VS is because its different.

28. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We'll have VS available as an option to download as part of our installer on Windows, I don't have a time frame on this yet though.

angrypenguin, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  29. darkhog

darkhog

You mean, you're an ostrich ;)? Anyway, never cared for VisualStudio, few times I did use it, I absolutely hated the experience. So I'll prefer if option to install MonoDevelop would remain.

30. tswalk

tswalk

you can have UnityVS regenerate the project files when changes are made in the editor by clicking > Visual Studio Tools > Generate Project Files

if something has actually changed in the structure, VS will prompt you reload all, ignore, etc....

31. OnAndOn

OnAndOn

32. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I've merged the two threads on this, can we search before creating multiple topics on stuff please.

33. tswalk

tswalk

nvm.. answered earlier.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  34. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

For any Mac users like myself who hate MonoDevelop, use Xamarin Studio. It's pretty much the same thing but faster, and takes 5 seconds to set up and use with Unity.

Ryiah likes this.
  35. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Will the game still be exported with mono so it remains multiplatform?

36. Tanel

Tanel

MonoDevelop and Mono aren't the same things.

shkar-noori, Tomnnn and angrypenguin like this.
  37. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah I know you can do that. The frustration is when I'm working along as usual, switch to VS, and half of it isn't working, so I have to switch back, do some stuff, and switch again. It doesn't matter that it's easy, it breaks concentration.

38. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Oh, thanks. Why do we live in a world with so may mono's?

It's the word for (multiple) software(s), spanish for hands, there's a disease called mono, etc.

39. steego

steego

For us mac users, I hope we'll soon be able to use OmniSharp reliably with Unity, it doesn't seem to be quite there yet.

40. fragmentBoy

fragmentBoy

@Tomnnn , I believe mono is a runtime software to provide "bytecode to native code translation when unity game runs". If mono gets worse then your game gets worse, which is a reality actually. However, monodevelop is an IDE which suits your development purposes; a text editor with all kinds of tools to aid you in development. Your code still compiled with rubbish mono, unless you are targetting IL2CPP supported platform or build plugin to use in unity3d.

Correct me if I am wrong.

41. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

You'd know better than I would. I'm pretty bad at remembering names of things, including people. I just kinda use this thing that has 'mono' in it, so it gets stored as mono :D

I've heard mono is pretty bad on windows, which I'm about to switch to. Any thoughts on mono vs xamarin vs VS for windows? I don't need the bulkiest feature-fat editor there is, I just want it to run smoothly and have a decent degree of [configurable] auto complete.

42. steego

steego

As long as you're on windows, use VS, no question.

43. Frpmta

Frpmta

What happened exactly?

44. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

For better or [likely] worse, I do most of my debugging by hand. I don't need VS's debugging capabilities. Do you know any C# editor that is light weight with auto-complete? I can give up and go use VS for all things C related, but I'm curious. Is there maybe a visual studio lite?

45. Ryiah

Ryiah

At a glance OmniSharp appears to be a light weight solution that is implemented as plugins for popular text editors such as Sublime. It has IntelliSense and Autocomplete features.

http://www.omnisharp.net/

Tomnnn and shaderop like this.
  46. tswalk

tswalk

Notepad++ super simple, especially if you debug stuff in your mind. not so sure about autocomplete though.

Tomnnn likes this.
  47. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Haha I've been using that for my ARM programming. I use out-of-my-mind debugging for assembly ;)

Oh... brackets is pretty.

48. steego

steego

As @Ryiah said, omnisharp is probably your best bet. It does look promising, but when I've tested it with Atom I've had some minor issues with things like adding references to the unity assemblies, etc. It also seems it will let you use C# 6 language features, that Unity don't support (unless you're building with Rosetta), so you got to keep that in mind.

I'd love to see UT dedicate some manpower to making sure it works flawlessly with Unity, because if it did it would be a great alternative to MonoDevelop and VS on both mac and windows.

Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  49. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I'm pretty sure that's 'manos.'

Tomnnn likes this.
  50. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I guess my middle school & high school spanish class memories are finally deteriorating. good. I've been trying to forget that stuff for years. I would rather be a monoglot for human languages.

OH GOD THERES MONO AGAIN!

I'll most likely look into it. Thanks all.