Search Unity

Unity Wi-FI Direct support?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by VMohan, Sep 15, 2015.

1. VMohan

VMohan

I am working on a new open source project called Navi (you can check out all the code at the github repo). In short, it is a system that transfers the sensor data via a local router to your PC for use cases in virtual reality. The system works well when connected to a local router. However, in cases, where there is no available router, I still want to be able to make a connection. As a quick hack, I am able to turn on mobile hotspot using an Android device and use that as the router. However, after doing some testing with it in crowded areas, I realized that the connection tends to break up fairly easily (my guess is the noise interferes with the signal). That made me think that I should support other types of connections such as Wi-Fi direct or bluetooth. I have looked at the AllJoyN framework, but it seems that they have discontinued Unity support. To start with, I would really like to add a simple multi-platform Wi-Fi direct connection using Unity. However, I am not sure if this is supported with the given UNET API and was wondering if people have suggestions for frameworks that can be used to make this work with Unity.

2. lrb

lrb

3. VMohan

VMohan

That is unfortunate that it has to be platform specific. If that is the case, then I guess I would recommend just using the old AllJoyN API since that has the plug-ins written for Android and Windows (I guess iOS will just have to wait as usual).