Search Unity

Unity WebGL is 'working' on mobile devices

Discussion in 'Web' started by arumiat, Mar 8, 2016.

1. arumiat

arumiat

I was still under the impression that Unity webGL wasn't working at all on mobile devices. Today a user told me they'd been using the content on an iPad4 mini, and sure enough I tested it on a normal iPad and my Android 4.4.4 phone and it's working.

Will need to put a lot of time into optimisation and re-design but this is very cool nonetheless.

2. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

We don't do anything to make Unity WebGL content *not* work on mobiles (other then showing a warning), so, yes, some content will work on some devices. However, the constraints of the platform (performance, memory) become might tighter on mobile, so we generally don't support or recommend it. That said, for simple content you may well experience decent results, especially on higher-powered mobile devices.

3. dovisualisation

dovisualisation

Hi Can you disable the warning?

4. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

The warning is in the UnityLoader.js file of your build and you can remove it there.

5. Kiori

Kiori

You guys really should have this option as a 'toggle' with a (unsupported) warning, or similar kinda like webassembly is (experimental). It's really not ok to have to edit such files every time for something so basic.

In my tests, even in lower end phones, unity runs fine. I got the shooter tutorial running in a galaxy s3 mini, and on fullscreen it was fully playable. The only problem was the loading time, but i could see this being mitigated with proper use of asset bundles. And this is on a really old phone.
    This was with wasm, running on firefox, no tricks. Old asm.js was never meant to be.
    This is the future guys and it's here today. I imagine with 'a made for the web'/polished game it can load and run great.
    Maybe even, with the right setup, you could make instant games(messenger) with this in the future.

Please think about adding this toggle as a feature, or even reconsider your current position on mobile.

6. TOES

TOES

This is not a proper solution, it is extremely tedious to manually disable the warning for every build. Please add an option to disable it in the Editor.

Jamesarndt2018 likes this.
  7. hcjjeong

hcjjeong

8. De-Panther

De-Panther