Search Unity

Unity Web Player hardware statistics

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aras, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Ever wondered what hardware do Unity Web Player users have?

We provided a glimpse into that data on our company blog almost a month ago, and now that hardware statistics is live.

Here: unity3d.com/webplayer/hwstats

Enjoy!

2. taumel

taumel

Very interesting, thanks! And oh why am i not surprised...

What i also would like to know is the total number of webplayers which have been installed.

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

About three million regular web player installs since we started gathering this data a few months ago. Plus about 250 thousand installs via Dashboard Widgets. So yes, this dataset is already larger than Valve's.

4. taumel

taumel

Thanks, total numbers opposed to market shares if they aren't big, sometimes can help convincing clients too. By the way i don't have the steam numbers in mind how many samples did they get?

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Right now it says 1777032 samples.

6. jashan

jashan

Wow - cool! I just had a really quick first glimpse, but it looks awesome!

7. drJones

drJones

awesome - very useful info (if a bit unsettling - damn you intel! ; )

8. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Kudos to Aras for being the driving force behind all of this! :)

9. monark

monark

This is really useful. Is there any easy way to know what percentage of all those cards are actually able to run unity. So for example it mentions 24% using DX7 still, and roughly 30% in total below the DX9 level, will those cards fail to run unity games at all?

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

If they are able to send in the report, then they are already running Unity (the report is sent not by the installer; it's sent by Unity web player the first time it's ever used).

Unity on Windows uses DX9 runtime libraries to do rendering. This is separate from "DX capability" of the graphics card.

E.g. DX9 level card is the one that has shader model 2.0 or 3.0. DX8 level card is the one that has shader model 1.x (like Radeon 8500 or GeForce 4Ti). DX7 level card is the one that has multitexturing, cubemaps and probably hardware transform lighting (like Intel 865 or GeForce 4MX or Radeon 7000). DX6 level card is the one that has multitexturing and pretty much nothing else (like Riva TNT or Rage 128). All of them can be used via DX9 runtime.

11. monark

monark

Ah I see. So its still going to be very difficult to know if what they are seeing is what you intend them to see. As you you know from another thread sometimes the player runs but the graphics don't turn up. I guess we will have to gather that feedback by word of mouth rather than stats.

12. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

There's a Graphics Emulation feature that somewhat helps with this. Of course, it can't really simulate all pecularities of various graphics cards (nor the performance of those cards), but it's helpful.

13. monark

monark

Yes I did see that, that certainly helps. Very clever feature I thought.

14. MatthewW

MatthewW

Do you guys also track the installing URL? For instance, could you segment the stats by Shockwave.com versus Raptorsafari.com?

15. Lucas Meijer_old

Lucas Meijer_old

Aras, this is _great_ stuff. Unbelievably detailed and useful information.

What would be x2 great if we could get access to this data at runtime, and also send this data to our own server, so that we can track the audience of our actual game, instead of all unity webplayer installs.
    (and to help troubleshoot bug reports, by having some system info available for from the reporters)

Bye, Lucas

16. jashan

jashan

17. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

No. We don't track the URL nor the IP of the submitting machine.

If you're really interested in your game stats, I guess you can always submit that info yourself (see SystemInfo class).

18. taumel

taumel

If you would track the URL then it only makes sense if you just do that temporary in order to define the country were the URL belongs to. Otherwise it feels kind of a privacy thing.

19. AaronC

AaronC

Hey Aras, this work is fantastic, thanks heaps. very very helpful indeed.

AaronC

20. jeremyace

jeremyace

Very useful info (of course).

Good call for adding this feature, and thanks for making the data public as well. ;-)

-Jeremy

21. manuelflara

manuelflara

So considering the stats and your deep knowledge of what kind of machines are able to run Unity smoothly (even it it emplies disabling special effects and all), what (aproximate) percentage of all those 3M users who downloaded the plugin would you consider is able to run a regular (not over simplistic or complicated) Unity game smoothly?

22. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

"regular content" is a pretty loose definition, you know :)

Overall it looks like 80-90% of the market has hardware that roughly matches Intel GMA 950 (give or take). So if you can make your content run smoothly on a MacBook or MacMini, you should be fine.

23. manuelflara

manuelflara

Thanks, that's what I needed to know: a target machine :)

24. LDiederich

LDiederich

Hi,

nice statistic. How many PCs are 30%? 10.000, 100.000? A total amount of PC-/Mac-Systems would be nice.

Lars

25. taumel

taumel

26. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Right now: over six million (since Feb 2008).

27. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

100% pure awesome that is!

28. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

And that's on a pretty steep growth curve, so it's just accelerating...

d.

29. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

It truly is an amazing time to be United (with UT not Manchester, sorry sports fans!) :p

Am well glad to be here during this exciting phase; the potential is amazing!

(i hope it lasts!) :)

30. Scrat

Scrat

And it's gonna keep growing as Unity for Windows is out and small studios start to develop some very cool web games!

I seriously can't wait to see how the next 6-12 months are going to turn out!

31. hai_ok

hai_ok

How long was your hook in the water? Back when I used to use Windows (/me vomits profusely), I'd have to re-format and reinstall the OS about every 3-6 months. So if you were fishing for these numbers for one year, you would have gotten me in there about 3 times.

32. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

That is true. If you reformat and reinstall, it will register multiple times. It's not supposed to be absolutely robust statistics (is that even possible?). On the other hand, some people do not reinstall Windows that often (for example, I never do).

33. hai_ok

hai_ok

sorry if I came off a little weird there.

I just couldn't help myself.

I mean well.

I really do.