Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity wants your feedback on usability and artist workflows!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nevin, Apr 25, 2017.

1. zloph

zloph

Being up to edit a prefab without dragging into the scene would be nice. Like how the humanoid character editor worked.

2. minime15v

minime15v

can anybody help me with the camera? For some reason I cant look around while moving my player the only time I can look around is when I stopped moving. But if I try moving while looking around the cursor just stays stuck in its position till I stop moving? I'm kind of still a noob to unity.

3. Alverik

Alverik

You didn't provide much information, and, umm... this thread isn't for support... your better off making a thread under the respective forum category (which would probably be scripting. Or did you mean Cinemachine Cameras? if it's a Cinemachine camera, Cinemachine has it's own forum category where you can create a thread or ask in one of the ones already there).

4. WilkerLucio

WilkerLucio

Well, this is not really artist related but... The thing that kept me away from learning shaderlab was the lack of suport for it on Monodevelop. You know, autocomplete stuff, highlight... If those things were present, I'm sure I wouldn't mind spending some time studying it seriously...

Alverik likes this.
  5. BigBite

BigBite

These are some really quick notes. I will try to refine them as time goes on.

Take a look at this in regards to Editor UX and helping level designers.

Having an option to have Unity "watch" a folder where I save all my models would be nice. I kinda like having my art source assets separate from the project folder, but I eventually break down and just save my assets into the Assets folder because it's hard to maintain that separation. Having to constantly drag a model in is tedious (that's if you want to keep the source files separate). This could also parley into a sorta asset library.

I would really love to have a asset library that is constant on my machine. I could go over to the "rocks" folder and just drag that asset into the level all from within Unity. This would be for the early prototyping phase mostly but I could see it being helpful later in development.

I think it would be neat for Unity to represent their units as a real world measurement. On sorta the same note, I would like to see Unity render the thumbnail for you 3d assets with the dimensions into the thumbnail overlay-ed on top or "stamp" a human silhouette for reference. The silhouette would be placed next to the object, much like in Sketch Up. Personally, I prefer the dimension option.

Ability to transform gamobjects without needing to click on the Handle. Take a look at Blender3D for some inspiration. I personally find that moving objects by dragging the Transform Handle can be fidgety; sometimes you go to click the handle but you end up selecting the Terrain, or the object behind it, or empty space, etc).

I would also like a "Play From Here" option. I don't like having to find the PlayerController in the scene, move it over to where I wanna play from, and then hit play. I would like to right click into the level and start testing. I think this should be possible even for 2d levels. We could even supply the system a default player controller of our choosing, or some default set by Unity.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    HeadClot88, Marked and Alverik like this.
  6. Alverik

Alverik

Umm, I don't know about this one, it's probably not as good as it sounds. It could potentially become problematic and annoying, Specially because most games use custom Player controllers, and anyone hitting play to test the gameplay will be cursing every time they find out that the "default" player controller loaded too, making them both start to fight for cameras and other stuff. You aren't seeing this from the actual play testing point of view, where you'll want the real functionality on... Even if there was a way to disable the "default" it would create extra steps for other people down the pipeline. but maybe a Level Designer mode? ummm, but even that'll give you issues if your programmers or other devs have already placed the actual Player or other gameplay on the level, which can lead to a lot of crashes and errors if you've just disabled the "gameplay" player, plus loads of other possible issues...

They'd have to device a way to get only the geometry in "Lever Designer" mode, which would probably be best done as part of the workflow, like having all the level geometry be part of this huge Prefab-like object while in Designer Mode, effectively decoupling gameplay from geometry. But, then, there's the problem of props which contain scripts, which may or may not need the "gameplay" player or camera or other systems deployed in "regular" mode, potentially causing errors too. So I don't know, it would probably end up as a big reworking of the whole Editor workflow, for what could be potentially little gain?...

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. Stardog

Stardog

Yes, yes, and yes. Or just a reference/linked file like Adobe Premiere has.

Adam-Bailey and Alverik like this.
  8. BigBite

BigBite

Why wouldn't you be able to just specify the player controller to spawn (unity would just instantiate the object at the point you clicked)?This is good for rapid level design iteration. You would maybe not use the right click option when you are further down the pipe/production.

Please note that the play button would still have the same functionality as it stands today, where the "play from here" would be a right click option in scene view

9. Alverik

Alverik

I am already working on several projects which use different approaches to spawning the player due to multiple reasons, like requirements from a third party plugin, supporting multiple VR devices (in one we have our own spawner which decides what Player to spawn based on the active headset), Player's which need to be spawned only once at startup and never again during the session, etc.

Not all games work the same... it's all down to your own systems, tools, gameplay... and team, I guess. Umm... easiest would be to make your "player start" easier to reposition, instead of the character controller itself... that could work.

WilkerLucio likes this.
  10. BigBite

BigBite

I understand what you are saying, but for you, nothing would change. Just continue to work as you do now. This option would be for level designers when they are going through their level block out phase. Though, I understand what you are saying about objects with components that may require the player to spawn a certain way., or third party plug-ins. Like I said though, this would be an option in the right click menu. You would be able to choose whether to use it or not.

As for moving the spawn point to a better place; I'm not sure how that fixes the issue I described, you would still be needling to constantly locate it and move it. This has been my experience when working with terrain, for example. I could even see this useful for indoor blocking (spawn point works better for indoor setting, but still, wouldn't hurt).

11. Alverik

Alverik

It's the same idea. You tell Unity what's your Player Start object (just once) and have it change the location when you need it, you'd need to do the same if it was the character controller anyway (unless you want a Unity made default controller). But using a player start wouldn't handle the Player spawning, just it's position, so less risk. But, I guess, if the feature were to take a GameObject instead of a specific component (or Unity default player), then you could probably use it to deploy a player, a player start, a camera or even a custom spawner (better than having an imposed Unity default player.).

Then, moving the position of the object afterwards would be a similar technique to Move To View (ctrl+alt+f, or found in the GameObject menu), it'd just need to be more accurate. I've seen this idea in action in some plugins already, like rain, where you just look where you want to create a pathfinding node, hit a shortcut to create it, and the node gets placed right on the floor/object at the center of where you were looking at.

PS: just to clarify, I'm very often a one man team, so I'm also often my own level designer. I'm not a stranger to the things you are talking about. But, in those cases, I wear several hats, so I have to think of how all things are going to work together later. Specially, since editing the levels afterwards, when gameplay is already there, is not a rare situation.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  12. kite3h

kite3h

It's Funny. Realy Funny.
    Unity3d does not support TextureStreaming, And There is no terrain tool ( your terrain is garbage . It is not terrain ).
    Hey , Megascan studio even better than you.
    Adam demo says we say to unity our idea.
    We need that. and I Think that idea readly similar to UE's Landscape and megascan studio's method.

13. BigBite

BigBite

If you are suggesting something like -> right click-> play from here-> unity then sets your spawn point(gameobject you specify ) then that's cool too, though, that would conflict with a spawn point that is already in the level like you mentioned earlier. It's also effectively the same thing. If you need to spawn the player a certain way, then you would not be able to use the functionality. But I would, and want to. Unity says that they are my engineering team, so I request this feature. And I don't think this would impact your current workflow. Unless I'm missing something else? I could totally be missing something.

I'm also a lone wolf. I don't share the same "little gain" sentiment. To the contrary, I believe that it could speed up iteration time because you can get into a low friction flow, where the software gets out of your way and you can just run at a hundred miles per hour. I want to feel what the player is going to feel at a press of a button, rather than ferry around a spawn point or character controller. I know it sounds like there is not much difference, but most of my experience and frustrations stem from not being able to play what I'm looking at the moment my synapses fire. I'm starting to vent so I'll stop ☺️.

Would love some more discussion though.
    Also, I did not realize you mention making the player start easier to reposition. I think hat could work as well.

14. BigBite

BigBite

What do you guys think if something like a dev camera? A camera that is not part of the build. You could position the camera how you want (much like the normal camera). Then ,in the Game Window, there would be a drop down with all dev cameras. Selecting one would allow you to see through the camera. With this we could view our current work area from multiple angles (all normal post processing included). I could go into more detail, but I'm at work. Hope it's enough to get some discussion going.

Alverik likes this.
  15. Alverik

Alverik

I was just trying to think of an alternative method, but that's the thing I was trying to say before, lol, No matter what idea is used to do the previous ideas, it'll end up altering your workflow anyways. At least if you plan to use the feature, you'd have to modify the way you do things to make it work.

I was thinking of similar ways to do this easier. Maybe you could right click on your player in the hierarchy and set it as the "player" object. Then you'd have a right click option you can use on the editor window to quickly relocate the player under that mouse position. That would do the same thing you want, and you could define a player start as the "player" instead, in case if you use them.

Seeing how you'd mostly want this for early development it would probably work just as well (since once you've defined a lot of player starts, it would become an issue anyways). I guess, you could also prefab the whole scene geometry and lights, and use instances in the actual game levels, to keep the base "set" away from real gameplay. That way you can inspect the level without worries (as long as no one in the team makes the mistake of hitting Apply in one of the instantiated prefabs...).

16. Alverik

Alverik

Like an "Override view: devCam 1/2/3/etc" dropdown? That's actually a pretty cool idea :) (better and less hassle than all the previous). If they could also add some basic built-in keyboard and movement controls it'd be super swell (like the wsad controls when not in playmode). Playmode or not, allowing multiple development/editor only cameras would really help a lot. Being limited to one editor camera has always been sort of annoying.

17. BigBite

BigBite

You know... you could use a layer system. If you just want to look at the level geometry and test the spatial aspect of the level. You could almost do that now with a multi scene workflow ( have all the static geometry on a separate scene).

PS. A layer system has already been requested

3dgreg likes this.
  18. awesomedata

awesomedata

Man, I can't believe I missed this thread!! D:

I'm a hybrid 2D and 3D illustrator/modeler, level designer and animator (across all of the dimensions). I also program editor tools because Unity is a particularly painful thorn in my side when it comes to animation and level editing/design. I've considered UE4/etc. to help alleviate some of these issues, but it's not enough. I love Unity still and I don't want to hate it.

I have designed at least 10 ways that Unity can be improved if you guys are really interested, but changes would have to be implemented internally on things like the UI, workflow, and optimization, plus a few simple but powerful features to facilitate the kind of animation and level designing I want to do more easily.

Here's a few thoughts off the top of my head:

1) Make texture/uv's color/position/opacity animation and mesh editing visual (look at "Live2d Euclid" for an example of this) and implement FFD into 3D meshes and sprites, allowing them to be edited in the Animation window (and while you're at it, expose the animation window as a template so I can use it to animate other stuff too!)

2) Texture/UV animation/color/opacity should be integrated into the animation window and better-supported for runtime without tons of draw calls

3) GPU-Instancing should be stupid-easy for n00bs, and automated where possible, both for textures and geometry -- Why?? -- I initially spent 85% of my development time tweaking or integrating solutions (via trial and error) for things that should have already been included or optimized.

4) Stop letting your engineers rely on the ASSET STORE!!! I am an asset developer, and I like money, but UI support and documentation for the Editor is abysmal at best, and worse, I feel like I HAVE to develop tools and optimizations for Unity myself, or they might never exist otherwise! The Asset Store should only exist for creative tools and ASSETS, not tweaks and optimizations for standard game development (stuff like SSAO, or World Streamer shouldn't HAVE to exist since these are all standard tools and techniques in the industry today!)

5) Better support for parametric meshes and materials. The lifeblood of the Asset Store, and what drew me to Unity first were all the cool mesh manipulation and animation tools available. However those tools were a nightmare to build in many cases because meshes in general -- especially parametrically animated ones -- are such a pain to manipulate! Unity has such specific requirements for damn-near everything, including some poorly documented quirky stuff that it assumes you already know what it wants (think layer bitmasks), and even after you've made it that far, you slam against a wall because you suddenly realize Unity can't do x,y,z thing with meshes or animations because it's not optimized to do that yet. So your super special unique tool has to compromise and you either program that specific optimization or common subsystem yourself (say selecting a group of edges on a model, or GPU-instancing tiles for a game level), or make your users do x,y,z first before they can use your tool for the sole purpose it was created for, making everything needlessly complex, and users like me very saddened to use Unity at times... and for those of us that stick around, that sadness builds into unrelenting frustration over time with Unity not hearing our pleas.

This topic is a great first-step to fixing that though.

I have other important suggestions, so let me know if you want to hear them. Believe me, I'll share.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    zwcloud, WilkerLucio and Alverik like this.
  19. Alverik

Alverik

Love your post. specially number 4, I really hope they listen to number 4! There's too much tech that should be there, simply because it's standard or generically needed by everyone. It's like a triplanar terrain shader with distance blending, practically anyone who uses terrains needs that functionality, but, instead, you are forced to turn to the Asset store for something that should be part of the terrain system in the first place. Same can be said about a shader editor, visual scripting, some physics and animation features, etc...

That reminds me... how I'd love to have a native tool like Dynamic Bone, to apply physics to bones, just like they do in Lumberyard (where it's built-in).

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    awesomedata likes this.
  20. 3dgreg

3dgreg

Main View port. I would love to see an easier view port, like the one on Maya, where you can space bar to 4 different views, select the view and be able to zoom directly in. The current view is fine but being able to view from all four directions just makes the work so much easier.

BigBite likes this.
  21. phort99

phort99

Project settings should be able to open in their own window rather than in the inspector. There are so many cases when I've needed to toggle between the quality project settings and light editing resulting in needing to scroll through drop down menus over and over.

You can test my suggested implementation with this editor script: https://github.com/tromero/Unity-Project-Settings-in-a-New-Window

It adds project settings under the Window menu, and "(in a new window)" options in the project setting menu.

awesomedata likes this.
  22. vir1234

vir1234

There is a bug in unity 5.6.0f3 auto rotation not working on ios device

23. SeRasul

SeRasul

show c# public events in unity as other public parametres, to faster subscribe and unsubscribe. Can be look like List or massif in Inspector, but taking method of class as element.
    Also it will be good to see public static elements in inspecter.

24. Astralart

Astralart

I agree with what everyone else said here but as far as I know the blacksmith and Adam demos are great but teases. What would be cool if Unity beforehand would work the improvements of the demo into the next release. Without it being a custom solution or asset store buy we would be able to do it in the engine itself. Also a new feedback system would be cool something nicknamed priority maybe.

The unity community could vote on what section of the engine they need improved most at the time such as VFX,effects,Anti aliasing, etc. But it would be marked on the roadmap as priority and when release of it happens a tech demo would also to showcase the improvements we could actually use in unity. I know there is a vote feedback system but as far as I know slot of stuff sits there for awhile.

That's all but the main thing was when I see a tech demo I want to achieve it not a custom solution or impractical to do or ship for a game.

25. ercion

ercion

A very small thing: if search results in the Hierarchy panel showed up in the order they actually appear in the hierarchy, that would be great!

26. TheKing009

TheKing009

Unity should support more free tutorials featuring great game art and assets like the stealth or the angrybots tutorial.
    This would help in better learning of the engine and would result in quick fantastic indie game coming out.

27. yoonitee

yoonitee

How about a simple mesh editor? For example, if I wanted to make a hexagonal prism. Wouldn't it be nice just to be able to make one without having to open Blender for example? Would be good for faster prototyping.

IDK. Do what you want. I can't sit around waiting for features!

What I do is take what's there and then try to work around it with scripting and stuff so that my stuff is better than everyone else's who rely on prebuilt 'features'. So whatever features you add I will try and do something that can't be done out of the box with those features. In that sense I don't want any new features.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  28. leodluz

leodluz

I would like Scene auto save, and oneclick on any object of children then animator component is searched from the root to children (this will ease the animation workflow).

29. alexblack10

alexblack10

Hi
    I'm not sure if all of my needs are what you're asking for, and I have so many - but I'll list them if I think they might be related.

The biggest things for me would be:
    - a node-based material editor (that still allows us to edit/write shader code)
    - a dedicated window for editing prefabs instead of having to put them in a scene
    - a dedicated window for editing particle systems
    - automatic convex decomposition

Alverik likes this.
  30. Joystick_MoJo

Joystick_MoJo

fix the vertex snapping please . the current one is broken and extremly inacurate

Alverik likes this.
  31. Zaelot

Zaelot

Would be nice to have recommended export settings and tricks for popular external tools on official help pages, to get the assets imported with as little hassle as possible. (For example, the export settings for .fbx format on 3DS Max, Maya etc.)

32. Arowx

Arowx

It would be nice of the blender file and blender -> fbx file behaved the same. Duplicated (or cloned) items in a blender scene all share the same 'prefab'.

If you import the blender file directly into Unity the same scene generates unique meshes for every clone.

If you export to fbx the cloned mesh is repeated in each GameObject.

Also a way to work in blender and produce PBX materials that just transfer to Unity.

Speed up lighting calculations with the GPU where possible.

Astralart likes this.
  33. Onigiri

Onigiri

• forces(radial, directional, vortex etc.) and vector fields which affects rigidbody and particles. Ability to bake vector field in unity or import from 3d program.
    • better houdini support
    • Better physics (Ropes, SoftBody, Destruction(nvidia blast?))
    • Spline tool & fbx splines support
      Objects can be extruded, instanced and moved along spline. Can work with 2D, 3D, UI, particles, navigation etc. Can be imported from other application, created in editor or realtime.
    • Constraints(position, rotation, parent, spline, lookAt ...)
    • Better editor handles for joints with limits
    • GPU particles
    • Ability to view texture channels separatly
    • Decal system
    • Dedicated window for editing UI with rulers, guides etc.
    • Binding system for UI
    • Dedicated window for project settings
    • Multitags

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Astralart likes this.
  34. Moonjump

Moonjump

I'd like to be able to store vector art that gets converted to textures at run time at the needed resolution, a bit like dynamic text.

35. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Can you add an option to the Console - e.g. a field where we can add a number as max prints... In other words if i add 1000, the console to get cleaned up or the first 1000 messages to get cleaned because currently if many messages have been printed to the console, the editor starts to lag and it gets hard to test without clear it.

36. zwcloud

zwcloud

Please fix this bug:

When a shader get upgraded automatically, the line endings of upgrade note comment
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Upgrade NOTE: replaced XXX ....
    are always Mac OS X (UNIX), even though we are using Windows.

And that causes an annoying warning:
    for every auto-upgraded shader.

This still happens on Unity 5.6.0f3.

Vagabond_ and Astralart like this.
  37. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

Don't know if someone has said this but being able to set default import textures would be great. I use low-res textures and therefore have them on high quality and it really is a pain to need to change it for every single texture.

Moonjump likes this.
  38. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

As a programmer designer, I would love Unity to split the layer system into 3 separate layer systems.

One for rendering,

One for physics,

And one specifically in the editor to allow for easy filtering of objects in the scene view. This will aid designer workflow a lot.

awesomedata likes this.
  39. Moonjump

Moonjump

I've already talked about the removal of the Default > Format option on texture importing, which I think was a terrible idea, but I think you might be talking about being able to change the default for various settings on textures. That is something I and others have been suggesting for years for all import settings for all asset types.

awesomedata likes this.
  40. awesomedata

awesomedata

Has anyone mentioned FFD animation support for both sprites and 3D meshes in the animator window?

Alverik likes this.
  41. ETGgg

ETGgg

One simple thing that i'd like is to import multiple assets within the unity asset importer, without dragging them from the file exproler. Though I have my file explorer open almost all the time I think doing it that way would be faster. Thank you!

42. gonedsram

gonedsram

Hi, is there projects here that can be downloaded and loaded in Unity for us beginners to learn? Thanks.

43. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

44. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

1. Material Editor . Simple one that's compatible with unity standard shader lighting . Surface shader is very easy but is not for for artist

2. Drag selection ability on project tab
    1.jpg
    3. Add 1080 and 4K resolutions in game tab resolution list by default. Because a lot peoples thinks unity render is not comparable to other engines. Because already seen 4K render on comparisons on other engines and now seen free scale with low resolution
    2.jpg
    4.Move unnecessary options to end of the list. I always need to click on Maximum view option.
    3.jpg
    5. Add scene exporting option. Its very helpful when switching between unity and modeling software
    4.jpg

Important:
    6. Add more shortcuts. For example:
    - Start and stop baking
    - Open lighting window
    - Close current tab
    - maximize and minimize current tab

7. PBR texture generator

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    zwcloud and Rodolfo-Rubens like this.
  45. mrd777

mrd777

Search hotkey.

Wondering why there is no hotkey to start searching.

Eg, I want to search the assets, press Control+Alt+S and it automatically focuses keyboard on the search bar. Then I can press tab to go into the search results. Basically, all by keyboard I can search and select things. Maybe find a scene, press enter to open it.
    or if I want to search hierarchy Control + S
    etc..

Current searches taking me forever and frustrating. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  46. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Agreed!

You can do that by pressing space.

UnityLighting likes this.
  47. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

3D Physics!!!! is uncontrollable for the artist. We need the 2D tools and stability in 3D and more visual feedback. Fix joints move in an elastic way. We need fix joints. I can't make a rope 100u long because of the weight too much. You must be a guru expert to explore complex Physics interaction. The unit representation of mass is not a unit by itself. We need a mass unit as for example kg.

Alverik likes this.
  48. Stardog

Stardog

GUI

- Actual fullscreen mode. Not just maximising window.

Alverik likes this.
  49. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Here are some more annoying things :)

1. I guess this depends on the sorting mode, but whenever i drag and drop a prefab to the scene it goes on the top of the Hierarchy list and when i start to duplicate it (ctrl + D) the copies are going then to the end of the list which is really annoying. They should go just after the object you are duplicating. This is just true for any object in the Hierarchy list, i expect it to be listed just after the object you are duplicating.

2. Other thing that might be related to the sorting mode (not sure) is when i select a group of objects which i sorted in the Hierarchy list and duplicate them i get the copies non in the same order and have to go manually and reorder them one by one (as you may want them by the same order as objects you are copying from)

3. GetComponentsInChildren<type>() - returns the parent. I really do not know why this method behaves like that, there might be a good reason, but it is confusing and annoying, so if you could make it exclude the parent will be great

-> So please add some more sorting modes to choose from !

Thanks !

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    Alverik, Murgilod and UnityLighting like this.
  50. Alverik

Alverik

Uh... have you never checked the doc's page? I'm not sure how useful it'd be to make a version which excludes the parent, but this is probably a by product of the way the method works. As said in the doc's page it recursively gets all the children in all the children (which in essence are just parents, really. So, basically, the same operation is performed on all GameObjects alike).

And, well, just my experience, but since I started using that method (and I use it very, very often), I tend to use it mostly to get the bulk, I rarely need to actually exclude the parent, but as you probably already know, you can do that by comparing GO/component in your for/foreach. I do understand your point though... the name is confusing. I remember getting confused too when I used it the first time. But once you understand it it's a quite a useful method (since it can pickup even disabled components if you pass it "true").