Search Unity

UNITY / VUFORIA - AR NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'AR' started by unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

I upgraded to UNITY 2018.2.2f1 as well as VUFORIA 7.2.24 and since then I cannot get any AR to work. I was successful with the previous versions of Unity and Vuforia. I have a simple letter "Z" target image with a Trump low poly model. I have created and inserted a Vuforia license key with the associated "Z" target manager database. I followed the identical steps that I did for my previous AR project using this tutorial (
    ). I noticed the automatically loaded databases change that Vuforia has implemented. I have my database loaded and Image target activated and loaded under the ImageTarget Inspector options. Previously I was able to test using my webcam BUT this time nothing happens when I try test using the Webcam. I also did a "Build & Run" onto my android device and that too didn't work. I'm really at a loss.

Attached Files:

2. unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

.....or if someone has an updated tutorial for the new Unity and New Vuforia, that might help as well.

3. unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

My step-by-step methodology:-

1) Open Unity - start new project
    2) Delete main camera
    3) Create Vuforia AR camera
    4) Create Vuforia Image Target
    5) Go to File/Build Settings - switch platform to android and setup android settings. Also tick on Vuforia under XR settings
    6) Login to Vuforia online - create Development key
    7) In Unity - select AR Camera and open Vurofia configuration settings and copy and paste development key from Vuforia website
    8) back to Vuforia website - Create Target and upload target image. Download the package into Unity.
    9) in Unity - select ImageTarget. Check that the correct database is selected and that the image target is selected.
    10) Drag whatever mesh is being used onto the ImageTarget as a child.
    11) PREVIOUSLY - I was able to click play and hold my printed image target in front of my webcam and see the mesh in AR on my PC screen. This doesn't happen anymore. Building to android device also doesn't work.

Is there something new I'm suppose to check / switch on or off?

4. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A,

Thanks for the report. I attempted to replicate the issue as follows:
    1. Downloaded Unity 2018.2.2f1
    2. Enabled Vuforia in XR settings
    3. Upgraded to Vuforia 7.2.24 via installer
    4. Imported Vuforia Core Samples from the Asset Store
    5. Placed "3-ImageTargets" scene in the heirarchy - deleted all other scenes
    6. Verified "Fissure" target can be detected in PlayMode
    7. Inserted Developer License in ARCamera Inspector
    8. Created new device database on Vuforia Developer Portal
    9. Imported device database into Unity Editor
    10. Updated "ImageTarget_Astronaut" prefab with newly imported database
    11. Verified that new target could be detected in PlayMode
    12. Deleted all other scenes from build (except 3-ImageTargets)
    13. Build and deployed to device
    14. Verified that new target could be detected on device
    Basically, I was not able to find any issue with the above workflow.

I followed this up by following your workflow (more of less, just not in the same exact order) and also was not able to see any issue. I was able to run in PlayMode and detect the new target.

A few things to try:
    • Use a better target, something other than the letter "Z"? We don't recommend using printed characters as 2D planar targets
    • Check your clipping plane settings in the ARCamera inspector. Mine is set to Near=0.05, Far=2000
    Thanks,
    Vuforia Support

5. unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

unity_4x5Fh6ewd-m_8A

Thank you so much. I only had a chance now to go through your workflow and can confirm that all of the above works for me as well. So I guess I have a specific problem with my project. >< Oh, debugging is just not fun!! Thanks again

6. ThisIsAnUser

ThisIsAnUser

All works fine for me until i integrate with google cardboard, i get black screen, I tried to do those steps with previous versions, AR with google cardboard works well on Unity Play Mode, but on device, the image is not recognized, what should i do ?

More specific, unity 2017.2 with vuforia package not working on android, but on unity 2018.2, i have blackscreen when adding google cardboard on unity and on android ... Please help

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  7. taynaTinoco

taynaTinoco

I'm having a similar problem here. But works on editor mode with the webcam, but doesn't work on the android device...

chriisduran likes this.
  8. ARFAN2018

ARFAN2018

Same for me. Works great on the editor but nothing on the android device. What has changed?!? I updated the vuforia package and also updated to the latest version of unity. I also added another target and since then nothing has worked correctly. I’m planning to launch my app in 4 days! Can anybody help please?

9. Puxley

Puxley

Having the same issue...even when I create a MAC desktop standalone build....black screen!!!....fine in editor.

10. Gecika

Gecika

Did anyone ever find a solution to this?

11. proghacker

proghacker

Did anyone find a solution to this?

12. ittara

ittara

The same problem here, please can you help?

13. ruben_vr

ruben_vr

I have the same issue right now - vuforia recognition working in Unity/ Play mode, but not on android.

14. ridims1995

ridims1995

I have same problem, works fine in unity, not in android device

15. DVegasa

DVegasa

Have the same. Waiting for answer

16. unity_JT2IrsKfu1CTPQ

unity_JT2IrsKfu1CTPQ

I have same problem

17. christychiu1017

christychiu1017

same problem here...

18. Krull2020

Krull2020

I am also stuck very annoying

19. hemer21

hemer21

Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

20. SimbullSym

SimbullSym

Its such a shame. I think because there is no longer any official support for Vuforia natively everyone who can help has stopped caring. I am a total noob to Unity and trying to get my head around everything. Vuforia is the friendliest and most accessible system of tools to work with for me atm. It's a shame it doesn't work properly. Just doing some simple tests before I properly assemble something. I have that classic problem of the web cam and external cams not being recognized in my player window (which seems like it was a problem in early iterations too.) Don't know if the apk supports both 32 and 64 bit on Mac and PC yet. Apparently that was thw culprit back in the day. I am running Unity 2020.1.6f1 on a Macbook Pro (early 2011 so no Metal. Not even sure if I am on a 64 or 32 bit version of Unity) I also have installed the latest apk from Vuforia that I downloaded directly from the site. I updated the webcamprofile script to include any additional webcams. Sadly to no avail.
    I managed to export an apk build file to use on my android galaxy s10e. And that does work. I'm sure I could set up basic interface functions to add cameras lights and filters and such. And light the model in the scene better. But the round trips for edits with no access to my webcam in the Player window is tough. As far as the result my real-world target_object was well lit and had a good rating on Vuforia's database but the stability was super choppy.
    I really should invest time in AR core and MagicLeaps Lumin sdk as they are natively supported and look phenomenal with their capabilities but the learning curve is a bit daunting. I've tried a few times but I'm not there yet. I just want to do some basic AR initially like what Vuforias tools allow.
    Anyway sorry for the rant.

Long story short... Help?? Probably not but I still have my fingers crossed.

21. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey everyone,

Vuforia support is now handled by the Vuforia team. Please report related issues and questions to Vuforia's forums (https://developer.vuforia.com/forum) and their team will help address.

I'm going to lock this thread now as the best place to discuss this is Vuforia itself

Jomana2004 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.