Search Unity

Unity vs Unreal for VR performance

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Stereo_Image, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Stereo_Image

Stereo_Image

Anyone have any experience comparing the two as far as lighting, frame rate and anti aliasing? I do archviz VR for high end PC.I want to stay with Unity but Unreal seems to be making a big push in this area just wanted to know how the VR performance matches up in 2018.

2. canek

canek

I've worked extensively with both engines, and my VR work is very focused on high quality, photo-realistic visuals with post-process effects. From my experience you can more easily get better looking VR scenes running perfectly at 90fps with Unreal than with Unity. Unreal has a larger community of people in the archviz scene and Epic Games is targeting that industry very strongly lately and recently published full video tutorials on the topic (you seem to be aware of it). UE4 has a great light baking engine (Lightmass) that can produce amazing results if you know how to tweak it (there are several forum posts and tutorials on this).

Having said that, usually most of the archviz lighting is baked so with the very promising integration of Octane Render and Unity you will very likely be able to achieve great results with Unity too, as long as you are not doing complex dynamic lighting or post-processing. I haven't tested the scriptable render pipeline in 2018 with VR so that's something to consider too.

Cheers!

Stereo_Image likes this.