Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Unity vs IronSource

Discussion in 'Unity Mediation' started by mrm83, Nov 8, 2022.

1. mrm83

mrm83

Is Unity Mediation being deprecated?

Package update states the following:
    "Unity has joined forces with ironSource and recommends using LevelPlay for ad mediation (instead of this package). Learn how to integrate the LevelPlay plug-in at https://developers.is.com/developer-docs/unity".

Planning to use unity mediation, but if it is going away, will not bother.

TreeHacks likes this.
  2. jcGrenier

jcGrenier

Unity Technologies

Hi @mrm83 ,
    You are correct that the Unity mediation package will be deprecated at a future date. We have not yet announced the timing however, so Unity mediation can still be used until that time is announced. However, we encourage the use of LevelPlay mediation instead, so you will not be troubled with needing to migrate in the future. LevelPlay provides all the same benefits as Unity Mediation, plus additional ones. You can still access the Unity Ads network in LevelPlay.

Do not hesitate if you have any questions!

3. milox777

milox777

Why not have IronSource's tech in place of Unity Mediation or integrate the tech somehow, deprecating a package literally less than a year it was introduced doesn't inspire confidence... Seems like a new record for deprecating a package for Unity ;) (sorry couldn't resist).

I get that you have this merger with IronSource but redirecting to non Unity Ads website in Unity Ads dashboard saying "hey don't use this use this instead" is rather confusing. Especially that Unity Mediation already had a great video tutorial made and seemed solid. I personally would rather have all this meditation stuff in Unity rather than have to go to IronSource.

uranaka likes this.
  4. jcGrenier

jcGrenier

Unity Technologies

Hi @milox777 ,
    I can assure you that this is not lost on us :) The Unity Mediation team developed a product with a long term solution in mind, but an opportunity to partner with ironSource came up and Unity took that opportunity. We understand this period of transition can be frustrating for our users, but we now benefit from ironSource's product and experience, and will be working together to offer a superior product, combining the strengths of both organizations.

I apologize for the frustration this may incur, we are working diligently to bring ironSource's tech into the Unity editor, but we preferred to be transparent with our users, and give them the opportunity to make the move to LevelPlay sooner, rather than later. We are committed to support Unity Mediation for the time being, but encourage our new Mediation adopters to use LevelPlay.

milox777 likes this.
  5. mrm83

mrm83

Also, there is something to consider with IronSource as they seem to have a mind of their own with regards to approving applications or accounts.

This was delivered by Iron Source:
    Following our review of your application, based on various considerations, we found your application does not match the current focus of our network and will not be able to go live.

Not sure what their focus is, but i think that is pretty absurd. All major networks have no problems with our games but IronSource believes otherwise =)

I hope their focus will not be bestowed onto Unity.