Search Unity

Question Unity VR/WebGL cross platform multiplayer App with voice chat solutions?

Discussion in 'VR' started by Arciix, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Arciix

Arciix

Hello everyone,
    I have to develop a Unity Template Project for my Uni with these requirements:
    • A Multiplayer VR (mainly Oculus Quest) + Voice Chat template with a multiple rooms system and a Avatar creation system (probably ReadyPlayerMe based).
    • The possibility for users to connect to one of these rooms on a WebGL build with the ability to use voice chat with other users that may be connected with a VR Headset to the same room.
    • Any WebGL user will be instantiated as a simple Player with a "default avatar" and simple movements/interactions (basically it just needs to be able to move in the room and point-grab grabbable objects).
    The project should be based on two Scenes :
    • A Single Player Home scene where the user is able to create/select the Avatar and search/join a Multiplayer room.
    • A Multiplayer room which you can connect to with the avatar created/selected in the Home scene.
    I would like to know if someone already developed something similar and has any suggestions on the multiplayer networking framework and or assets that may help me achieve these requiremets.

Since I am a fairly junior Unity Developer with just simple VR singleplayer projects under my belt any tips/guidance will be very helpful.

P.S. I already did some research and I'm really liking Normcore over Photon Fusion but sadly Normcore supports WebGL builds only in its private solutions which I think are quite expensive for a project like this.

BentelAnnR likes this.
  2. Thypon2

Thypon2

Hello Arciix,

I am also planning to build something similar were I need a voice-chat function to connect users on computer and using our Oculus app.

Did you ever end up completing this project? if so what voice chat service did you use?

Thank you.

3. evstinik95

evstinik95

Hi Arciix,

I’ve developed cross platform multiplayer mini game recently targeting VR and Desktop and was selecting networking solution as well. I ended up with Mirror, I suggest you take a look at it. Though I don’t have voice chat feature, quick google showed there is a compatible solution called Dissonance. Mirror also supports web sockets as a transport layer which is usually the way to go when targeting WebGL.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your Uni project!

P.S. If you interested with my project powered by Mirror: https://hacknick.itch.io/christmas-mini-game. If not, sorry for spam :)