Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Vita vs Unity PSM

Discussion in 'PSM' started by azeem08, Apr 9, 2014.

1. azeem08

azeem08

Hi guys I've applied to become a Playstation developer mainly to develop vita games. Before I applied I was developing my game using PSM but what I want to know is what is the difference between unity vita and unity psm?

2. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

This is what I understand from what I read http://beta.unity3d.com/download/psm_public_preview/UnityJapan2014-Introduction_to_Unity-for-PSM.pdf

There 3 platforms now. (Though Unity Vita is technically not another platform, it's just making native Vita games using Unity)

Unity Vita (Vita Only Games, Native Vita development, Requires DevKit)

PSM (Original PSM, Games build for it can be played on PSM certified Android phones, Virtual Machine that is as powerful as the weakest phone it supports, No DevKit required)

Unity-for-PSM (Vita Only Games, Not Native Vita, but since it doesn't have to support phones it provides almost native like performance, No DevKit required)

From PSM DevSupport twitter

‏@PSMDevSupport
    .@peace_runner Yes. You can develop games only for PS Vita (and "PS Vita TV"). Phones are out of scope of "Unity for PSM".

Source: https://twitter.com/PSMDevSupport/status/453839944838942720

@PSMDevSupport
    @peace_runner games will be in the same section on PS Vita. On Android devices, games created w/ Unity-for-PSM will not be displayed.

Source: https://twitter.com/PSMDevSupport/status/453859423568420864

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. azeem08

azeem08

ok thanks for the info so in a sense Unity PSM is the middle ground between the two and supports just the vita? but not native development. One other question with Unity Vita requiring a dev kit would that mean I would need to purchase a dev vita? or can I deploy to my own?

4. PeterJK

PeterJK

With Unity Vita you need to acquire a dev kit.

Only Unity-PSM allows you to deploy to a consumer model.

From a performance point of view Unity PSM is basically akin to native Unity Vita development, which is great news. They use the same runtime. In other senses it is not 'native' though - doesn't have the full PSN integration and Sony debugging tools you get via Unity Vita.

5. azeem08

azeem08

ok so in essence if I were to release my game on Unity PSM would it come under the PSM section on the PSN store? or would it be on the vita games section on the PSN store?

6. PeterJK

PeterJK

According to PSM twitter they'll still be under the PSM section of the store. So yeah, that's one other notable difference from a marketing point of view, perhaps.

7. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

Native Vita development (Unity Vita, Unreal Engine Vita, etc.) requires you to pay for the DevKit, sign NDAs, etc.

Unity-for-PSM doesn't require a DevKit, you use a PC and your own Vita and currently don't have fees. Games work only on PSVita

PSM (Original, Old) doesn't require a DevKit, you use a PC and your own Vita and currently don't have fees. It's weak though, so just forget about using it. Games work on PSVita and PSMobile certified phones.

If you want to develop for the Vita natively (regardless whether you use Unity Engine or other game engines), you're going to have to pay for the DevKit, sign NDAs, etc.

8. azeem08

azeem08

hmmm ok thanks for the info

9. azeem08

azeem08

Ok so it seems Unity for PSM is the best way forward for me but just out of curiosity how do you buy a dev kit? and Unity vita doesn't have any fees does it? since I remember a blog post saying Unity vita is free for registered Playstation developers

10. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

http://us.playstation.com/develop/

If you're an Indie developer, the easiest way is to tweet @shahidkamal

Well, if you're going to become a 'registered Playstation developer'; you're going to have to pay for DevKits etc.

11. azeem08

azeem08

Ok I foolishly thought that I could become a registered Playstation developer and deploy to my own vita, hmm I hope this dev kit loan program is cheap otherwise I could just use Unity for PSM. Thanks for all your help though :)

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Shahid is a busy guy, so I think it's probably best you http://us.playstation.com/develop/ sign up there (only to buy dev kits though). For everyone else PSM is cost effective :)

13. apiningakowntkuyn1

apiningakowntkuyn1

Well, I was just re-iterating what Mark Cerny said.

14. orb

orb

He's very busy, buy may actually have time to play games if you have something good :)
    (Which again may fast-track you towards getting a real devkit!)

Lots of ifs, though.

15. blackbird

blackbird

i think with psm you don t have acess to the full power of the vita it seems like i m using an xperia play

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's the same power without having to pay for dev kits. It's the same code base from Unity. You do need to learn how to make mobile fast to get the most from it though. You can't just throw your desktop app at it.