Search Unity

Unity Vita now here....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by derkoi, Jan 16, 2014.

1. derkoi

derkoi

2. BTStone

BTStone

Well, there's nothing to discuss: it's just great :)

3. Kinos141

Kinos141

So, can I develop a game and put it on my vita for fun? or do I need a registered dev with Sony first?
    To be specific, do I have to pay just to put a game on my personal vita, not to distribute?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I disagree.

Which is more important: lefty control-stick, or righty-control stick?

5. derkoi

derkoi

You have to be a registered PS Vita developer. I'm a PS Mobile developer and apparently that doesn't count so I'm applying to be a PS Vita dev. :)

6. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Just to be clear, I've seen some questions floating around so I'll address them here before they start rolling in.

You need to be a registered Vita developer and have a dev kit.
    For those who are registered, Vita deployment build is available on Devnet.

A while ago we announced both Vita and PSM deployment will be available, these are two separate things and what we have just released is Vita only.

7. BTStone

BTStone

8. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

they should almost just keep this stuff quiet and only let the licensed devs know. it just confuses the kids that want to release their brand new awesome mmorpg on every major platform

9. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

That's not fair! Super Tentacles Online is going to be the best game EVAR!!!one!!eleventy!1!!

10. voltage

voltage

Hahaha. Man, sometimes the naivety these noobs possess is inspiring. (Mine was called Region Warriors). :)

11. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes, for licensed devs only. PSM for Vita is coming.
    Yes, that is correct. PSM for Vita, coming a little later, will allow self-publishing and deployment to retail Vitas in an identical way to how people makes apps for iOS and Android.

12. derkoi

derkoi

I'm a little confused on the point of this release vs the PSM release. Is it like Unity free vs Unity Pro, are there any features missing?

13. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

PSM isn't related to Unity at all, you could manage to port it over if you're up for the challenge. This allows you to work with Unity natively on the vita just by making a vita build and using your dev kit.

Deleted User likes this.
  14. derkoi

derkoi

Yes I know that. What I meant was there's this version of Unity that exports to Vita which can be downloaded if you're a registered Vita developer there's another version coming soon for PSM devs that allows you to develop for Vita without a dev kit.

I'm wondering if there's any other differences as I'm in the process of applying as a Vita dev, however I'm already registered as a PSM dev, so wondered if it were worth the effort.

15. BTStone

BTStone

I am a registered PSM Dev and if you are, you SHOULD know what the difference between PSM and native development ONLY for Vita is.
    PSM contains all Playstation certified devices: The PS Vita and all of these - http://playstation.com/psm/certified.html
    Your game/app has to run on ALL of these, that means: the maximum you can get out the Vita are the lowest specs of any listed devices.
    On top of that woring with PSM you haven't access to stuff like: both cameras, Reartouchpad and so on.

That being said: I think it is worth the effort, since you don't have to bother with so much devices and can concentrate to make your game just for one platform.

16. derkoi

derkoi

I registered as a PSM dev as I heard about Unity for PSM coming and also Sony was waiving the fee so I joined. I've never used any of the SDK provided as I've been waiting for Unity of which I applied for Beta.

I wasn't aware my games would have to run on all the certified devices but now that you mention it, I guess it makes sense.

I will continue my application as I plan to apply for PS4 development too. Thanks for the info.

17. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I think of it this way:

a) Is Vita a games console? Do you want to make retail games that sell in the shops, or are downloadable. Do you want to make use of all the features of the Vita? Do you want to be an approved Sony Vita developer? If yes to all of those, then you want Unity for Vita.

b) Is Vita a hand-held device like a tablet or iPod Touch? Do you want to self-publish games on Vita like you do on iOS and Android and BB10 and WP8 etc? Do you want to make games that use a restricted subset of the Vita hardware? If yes, then you want PSM for Vita.

18. daisySa

daisySa

19. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Is this free if you are a registered PS vita Dev?

20. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

If it is allowed it would be a great opportunity for someone with a dev license and kit to partner up with other people who don't have one and let them make games for the ps vita and get them published though there partnership with that person even just as a test before they decide to invest in a ps vita license and dev kit themselves. If the dev license allows it,, please check all terms and conditions of all licenses before trying lol

But I think it could be allowed you know because most publishers who publish to games consoles have independent developers work for them who are not part of there company yet they are able to use there assets and even entire games without those individual devs owning there own licenses and equipment, could be something along those lines.

Its an interesting idea anyhow even if it might be unworkable.

21. tatoforever

tatoforever

We are already working with. Forgotten Memories is heading to the VITA on Q1 2014! :D

22. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

ya im sure licensed devs would love to let random people use they stuff they've earned and paid for, while probably voiding their contracts.

23. tatoforever

tatoforever

It's totally possible and legal to publish others peoples games if you have such licenses. However, as a publisher you are the main responsible for whatever happens with such games.

24. RvBGames

RvBGames

Good timing. Recently initiated communications to obtain SCE licensing, with Vita being one of them. I didn't realize Unity wasn't supported (assuming my cursory review of it is correct).

25. tatoforever

tatoforever

The Unity Vita deployment is ready for use. You need to obtain a license from Sony if you want to use it. Both licenses Vita Developer/publisher and Unity Vita are managed by Sony.

26. Darkjayson

Darkjayson

I would expect some sort of quality control over who they would publish and have a contract that would protect themselves, its not just letting random people use them to get on vita more like show us your work and what game you want to put through, we test it and if its good enough and works out they publish it using there dev license.

27. RvBGames

RvBGames

Thanks for the info @tatoforever

28. derkoi

derkoi

Do i need to register as a publisher too if I want to self publish?

29. tatoforever

tatoforever

Yes.